Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sony TV blinking LED fault codes

A friend of mine has a Sony TV (model KV-28CS70U) which suddenly stopped
working the other day. Every time he tries to turn it on, it turns
itself off again, and the power/standby LED flashes red/green.

I thing the number of flashes is a diagnostic code indicating the type
of fault, so I tried googling for a list (it's not in the user manual).
So far, I've found several different and contradictory lists of fault
codes, with no mention of which model they apply to.

By any chance, does someone has the information for this model to hand?
Or, could anyone recommend a reasonably cheap source to buy the service
manual for this TV?

Thanks,
Rich.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2011 07:40, Richard Skeen wrote:
A friend of mine has a Sony TV (model KV-28CS70U) which suddenly stopped
working the other day. Every time he tries to turn it on, it turns
itself off again, and the power/standby LED flashes red/green.

I thing the number of flashes is a diagnostic code indicating the type
of fault, so I tried googling for a list (it's not in the user manual).
So far, I've found several different and contradictory lists of fault
codes, with no mention of which model they apply to.

From the service manual for KV-28LS60B same chassis (AE-6B) free on
http://www.eserviceinfo.com

No error 00
Reserved 01
OCP ( Over Current Protection ) 02
Over Voltage Protection 03
No Vertical Sync 04
IKR Error at power on 05
IIC bus clock and/or data lines low at power on 06
NVM no IIC bus acknowledge at power on 07
Horizontal Protection 08
Tuner no acknowledge at power on 09
Sound Processor Error 10
Reserved 11
Scanrate Error 12
DAC Error 13
Backend Error 14
Dynamic Convergence Error 15
PIP Error 16

By any chance, does someone has the information for this model to hand?
Or, could anyone recommend a reasonably cheap source to buy the service
manual for this TV?

Eserviceinfo doesn't have the exact same model - but it may be close
enough...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/11 10:54, Adrian C wrote:
From the service manual for KV-28LS60B same chassis (AE-6B) free on
http://www.eserviceinfo.com

Thank you - much appreciated. I'd found eserviceinfo.com while searching
but got stuck at the point where a search didn't find the model
KV-28CS70U - it's not shown as one of the models using the AE-6B chassis.

Tomorrow I'll count the number of flashes (forgot to write it down
before) and at with any luck that should point in the direction of
where to start looking.

Cheers,
Rich.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Richard Skeen
scribeth thus
On 01/06/11 10:54, Adrian C wrote:
From the service manual for KV-28LS60B same chassis (AE-6B) free on
http://www.eserviceinfo.com

Thank you - much appreciated. I'd found eserviceinfo.com while searching
but got stuck at the point where a search didn't find the model
KV-28CS70U - it's not shown as one of the models using the AE-6B chassis.

Tomorrow I'll count the number of flashes (forgot to write it down
before) and at with any luck that should point in the direction of
where to start looking.

Cheers,
Rich.

OK so what in practice can you do to repair the fault these days?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 2, 6:41 pm, tony sayer wrote:

OK so what in practice can you do to repair the fault these days?...

Get a magnifying glass and examine every soldered joint on all the
circuit boards. Particularly the joints that connect via solid wires
to anything external to the board, and those to any large component. I
have almost always found a dry joint is the cause of the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2011 07:41, tony sayer wrote:
In , Richard Skeen
scribeth thus
From the service manual for KV-28LS60B same chassis (AE-6B) free on

http://diagramasde.com/blog/24191/KV...-pdf-SONY.html

Tomorrow I'll count the number of flashes (forgot to write it down
before) and at with any luck that should point in the direction of
where to start looking.

Cheers,
Rich.

OK so what in practice can you do to repair the fault these days?...

It's an old CRT TV.

Lots of manuals also on Scribd. Search for "ae6b sony". Where would I be
without the 'net?

A fix depends on access to tools, test equipment, understanding and
ability to work with charged and live circuits etc...

http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq.htm

eServiceInfo has for that chassis, some documents and Windows flash
applications that describe the circuit operation.

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/35254/SONY_.html

Though a replacement LCD TV is less than £200 these days, the challenge
is still there not to spend that on a point of principle :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Though a replacement LCD TV is less than £200 these days, the challenge
is still there not to spend that on a point of principle :-)

--
Adrian C

I agree with you on this point. My JVC is getting on a bit - yet it
deliverers a perfect picture, so much to the annoyance of friends, I haven't
changed it yet. I take the view that the longer I leave it, the better value
for money I will get when I do change it. Just remember the cost of flat
screens when they were new.
Prices seem to be set to enable fast payback of the investment in
manufacturing plant. There are lots of people who are prepared to pay lots
in order to be the first in the road / family to get a new type of product.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2011 10:27, DerbyBoy wrote:

I agree with you on this point. My JVC is getting on a bit - yet it
deliverers a perfect picture, so much to the annoyance of friends, I
haven't changed it yet. I take the view that the longer I leave it, the
better value for money I will get when I do change it. Just remember the
cost of flat screens when they were new.

Prices seem to be set to enable fast payback of the investment in
manufacturing plant. There are lots of people who are prepared to pay
lots in order to be the first in the road / family to get a new type of
product.

My Sony analogue widescreen 32" CRT cost me £1100 out of me pay packet
in 2006, and there is a little investment here in TiVo gear (now going
with AltEPG [1], no thanks to Virgin ...) that continues to fascinate.
Could say I was an early adopter of that, and the many freeview set-top
boxes that came and went.

Pity about the TV programmes though. I watch less and less as time goes
on, and the last time I actually sat down and watched a film anywhere
was probably six months ago. No time...

HD is really unnecessary here at the moment. Besides, I'd have to get
shot of the TiVo which is kind of an 'over me dead body' activity.

[1] - http://www.altepg.com - yep, a free EPG service for any TiVo that
ye may dig up, lifetime or not. TiVo series 1 is far from dead.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 2, 7:41*am, tony sayer wrote:

OK so what in practice can you do to repair the fault these days?...

No personal experience since I don't get asked to mend things as often
as in the past, but from what I keep reading over at
sci.electronics.repair, electrolytic capacitors ain't wot they used
t'be and are regularly found bulging.

Chris