Sticking radiator thermostat

Old May 29th 11, 09:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticking radiator thermostat

I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when called
but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have swapped the
actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no effect. Is there
anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have to drain the whole
system to replace it, which seems the only other option.
Old May 29th 11, 09:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Moonraker wrote:
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when
called but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have swapped
the actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no effect. Is
there anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have to drain the
whole system to replace it, which seems the only other option.

It is not normally the 'head' that is causing the problem. With most TRVs,
when you remove the head you will see a 'pin' sticking out of the valve. It
is this pin that can become sticky when not used for a period. Grip the pin
with a pair of pliers and gently work it in and out a few times to free it
up. Don't pull too hard or you can pull it right out of the valve. After
working it like this a few times you should find that it will operate ok
again.

--
Kev

Old May 29th 11, 09:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Moonraker wrote:
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when called
but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have swapped the
actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no effect. Is there
anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have to drain the whole
system to replace it, which seems the only other option.

I usually unscrew the head, turn it upside down and use it to work the pin
slightly, till it frees up... THEN, I do get my tools if it still sticks
and a can of WD40/PlusGas/silicone grease/whatever and lubricate it. It may
be sticking cos it's leaking slightly.

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Old May 29th 11, 11:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:51:49 +0000 (UTC)
Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
I have a valve sticking on one of my radiators. It comes on when
called but does not go off (at least we are warm :-) ) I have
swapped the actual heat sensor part with another radiator to no
effect. Is there anyway to free the valve, as I don't want to have
to drain the whole system to replace it, which seems the only other
option.

I usually unscrew the head, turn it upside down and use it to work
the pin slightly, till it frees up... THEN, I do get my tools if
it still sticks and a can of WD40/PlusGas/silicone grease/whatever
and lubricate it. It may be sticking cos it's leaking slightly.

I have just moved into a house fitted with these, Honeywell made. They
all seem to work more like a setting valve rather than as a thermostat.
Do I not need to drain any water, just undo the head somehow, and then
find a pin under there? I haven't tried anything yet, other things
need more attention!
--
Davey.
Old May 29th 11, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 29, 11:32*am, Davey wrote:

I have just moved into a house fitted with these, Honeywell made. They
all seem to work more like a setting valve rather than as a thermostat.
Do I not need to drain any water, just undo the head somehow, and then
find a pin under there? I haven't tried anything yet, other things
need more attention!
--
Davey.

They are TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves).
Look em up on Google for all the tech data but they work like
individual thermostats for the temp around each rad... when they're
not sticking
Saves having a rad on in a room which is already warm, because the
room stat is located in the hallway, where it might be cooler!

deano.
Old May 29th 11, 11:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
[...]

No, you don't need to drain anything to get at the operating pin - although
if the valves are completely knackered you will have to drain the system
down to replace them of course.

There are various ways of removing TRV heads - with some you might need a
hex key - with others you simply rotate the head to the 'hottest' setting
and slide a collar back to release it.

--
Kev

Old May 29th 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 May 2011 03:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
deano wrote:

On May 29, 11:32*am, Davey wrote:

I have just moved into a house fitted with these, Honeywell made.
They all seem to work more like a setting valve rather than as a
thermostat. Do I not need to drain any water, just undo the head
somehow, and then find a pin under there? I haven't tried anything
yet, other things need more attention!
--
Davey.

They are TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves).
Look em up on Google for all the tech data but they work like
individual thermostats for the temp around each rad... when they're
not sticking
Saves having a rad on in a room which is already warm, because the
room stat is located in the hallway, where it might be cooler!

deano.

Yes, I know how they are supposed to work, but they don't. They are
several years old, so this discussion caught my eye as being relevant.
--
Davey.

Old May 29th 11, 12:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. These might just move higher up the list now. I'll
try the easiest to get at first, of course.
Thanks.
--
Davey.
Old May 29th 11, 12:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
[...]

I easily removed a head, and the pin appears to be free, it is
easily moved up and down, with resultant changes in waterflow. But
looking at the Honeywell website, all integral heads seem to be intended
to be mounted horizontally, whereas mine are all vertical. Could this be
the problem? That they are not seeing room air temperature, but are
affected by the heat in the pipe underneath them? If this is the case,
then a one-time drain-down and overall TRV re-orientation may be in
order before winter.
Comments welcome (useful ones, that is).
--
Davey.
Old May 29th 11, 02:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:

Moonraker wrote:
[...]

Most TRVs can be mounted vertically or horizontally and will function
perfectly correctly either way. All mine (which I fitted myself) are mounted
horizontally - but I've seen many TRVs mounted vertically.

Description of Honeywell TRV:

..Reversible flow valve body.
..Wax sensor provides consistent and reliable performance.

..Sensor head may be mounted vertically or horizontally by interchanging
radiator tail and copper tube fittings.

--
Kev