Small surface mount switches, maybe architrave switches?

Old May 19th 11, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small surface mount switches, maybe architrave switches?

I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Most of them will need to be surface mounted and I'm having a hard
time finding anything reasonably small and neat. About the best so
far are architrave switches but even these are on the large side for
what I want.

One can get really nice compact toggle and rocker switches from the
likes of CPC and Farnell but I can't find anything (or think of any
way of DIYing) small boxes to mount them in.

Any ideas anyone?

--
Chris Green
Old May 19th 11, 03:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 2:07*pm, wrote:
I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Is this 12V DC?

Beware that the DC current rating will be a lot lower than the AC
current rating for a given switch.

MBQ

Old May 19th 11, 04:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 2:07*pm, wrote:
I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

That's 5A DC too. 240V AC switches are generally unreliable for this.

Try CPC for toggles - they have some with decent DC ratings that are
quite cheap.
Old May 19th 11, 04:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Most of them will need to be surface mounted and I'm having a hard
time finding anything reasonably small and neat. About the best so
far are architrave switches but even these are on the large side for
what I want.

One can get really nice compact toggle and rocker switches from the
likes of CPC and Farnell but I can't find anything (or think of any
way of DIYing) small boxes to mount them in.

Any ideas anyone?

You're talking car stuff, really. Have a look he-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/switches/switches_menu.php

But most are designed for panel mount. CPC etc should have a range of
small boxes which would do. But you'd have to cut the holes yourself.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 19th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 19/05/2011 14:07, wrote:
I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Most of them will need to be surface mounted and I'm having a hard
time finding anything reasonably small and neat. About the best so
far are architrave switches but even these are on the large side for
what I want.

One can get really nice compact toggle and rocker switches from the
likes of CPC and Farnell but I can't find anything (or think of any
way of DIYing) small boxes to mount them in.

A small ABS enclosure, a drill, a saw and a file? Although, personally,
for a boat I would go for modular process control push buttons, which
can be sealed to IP67 and for which enclosures are readily available.

I suppose there are really small ABS boxes available, thanks for the idea.

Can you point me at the process control buttons you are talking about
please. Would they need any electronics behind them to actually switch
lighting loads?

--
Chris Green
Old May 19th 11, 07:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On May 19, 2:07*pm, wrote:
I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

Is this 12V DC?

Beware that the DC current rating will be a lot lower than the AC
current rating for a given switch.

Yes, of course it's DC. In general a switch rated at 5A 250v
alternating has a similar current rating at 12v direct.

--
Chris Green
Old May 19th 11, 07:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On May 19, 2:07*pm, wrote:
I'm after some small switches for use on a boat, they will be
switching 12 volt lighting so insulation isn't a big issue but they
need to be at least 5 amp rating.

That's 5A DC too. 240V AC switches are generally unreliable for this.

Try CPC for toggles - they have some with decent DC ratings that are
quite cheap.

Yes, I know, that's what I said to start with, but how do I surface
mount them, that's the difficult bit.

--
Chris Green
Old May 19th 11, 07:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
[...]

They're also exceedingly silly prices for switches. Similar rated
switches from CPC and Farnell are a fraction of the price.

--
Chris Green
Old May 19th 11, 08:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Boring answer

Maplin do switches with the appropriate rating, as well as a range of
boxes to mount them in, but you'll need to make your own holes. Halfords
and your local motor factor sell rocker and toggle switches rated to
cope with car lighting loads, which fit the Maplin boxes with the
appropriate holes made. Maplin also sell relays, which will switch the
current, and allow you to use any switch you wish,

Don't use switches supplied for marine use, as IME mostly it's caravan
stuff being sold at twice the price. So try your local caravan supply shop.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Thermal switches VDE KSD 301 N_Cook Electronics Repair 8 February 12th 09 10:50 PM
time switches Fred UK diy 8 December 7th 07 04:47 PM
Wiring for switches No-one UK diy 8 August 25th 07 12:00 PM
DIP switches gary Home Ownership 1 November 9th 06 04:19 PM
Sony TV switches off by itself anthonyl@shawmut Electronics Repair 4 August 19th 03 12:33 AM