Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Borrowed light for landing

With all the bedroom doors closed, my landing has no natural light. A
previous house had 'borrowed' lights fitted over every bedroom door,
which resolved the problem.

A possible solution to my problem would be to use glass bricks set
into the plasterboard wall over each bedroom door.

How could these bricks be mounted into a frame and set into the wall
neatly? I would be pleased if anyone here has any experience of this
task.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2011 22:12, David J wrote:
With all the bedroom doors closed, my landing has no natural light. A
previous house had 'borrowed' lights fitted over every bedroom door,
which resolved the problem.

A possible solution to my problem would be to use glass bricks set
into the plasterboard wall over each bedroom door.

How could these bricks be mounted into a frame and set into the wall
neatly? I would be pleased if anyone here has any experience of this
task.

David

I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had the same problem.
Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a simple wooden frame, and it works
nicely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had the same problem.
Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a simple wooden frame, and it works
nicely.

I did that in my bathroom by fitting a non-opening frosted light
(ie, sheet of frosted glass 1/4-rounded into a frame). It might
look nicer than glass bricks if you make it the same width as
the door with appropriate architraving and trim, etc.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 10:28*pm, jgharston wrote:
Jason wrote:
I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had the same problem.
Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a simple wooden frame, and it works
nicely.

I did that in my bathroom by fitting a non-opening frosted light
(ie, sheet of frosted glass 1/4-rounded into a frame). It might
look nicer than glass bricks if you make it the same width as
the door with appropriate architraving and trim, etc.

JGH

There are other options fwiw
1. fit glazed doors with acid etched glass - you can see zero through
them.
2. False window using fluorescent tubes

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2011 01:27, Tabby wrote:
On May 19, 10:28 pm, wrote:
Jason wrote:
I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had the same problem.
Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a simple wooden frame, and it works
nicely.

I did that in my bathroom by fitting a non-opening frosted light
(ie, sheet of frosted glass 1/4-rounded into a frame). It might
look nicer than glass bricks if you make it the same width as
the door with appropriate architraving and trim, etc.

JGH

There are other options fwiw
1. fit glazed doors with acid etched glass - you can see zero through
them.
2. False window using fluorescent tubes

3. Light Pipe

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 10:28 pm, *wrote:
Jason wrote:
I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had the same problem.
Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a simple wooden frame, and it works
nicely.

I did that in my bathroom by fitting a non-opening frosted light
(ie, sheet of frosted glass 1/4-rounded into a frame). It might
look nicer than glass bricks if you make it the same width as
the door with appropriate architraving and trim, etc.

JGH

There are other options fwiw
1. fit glazed doors with acid etched glass - you can see zero through
them.
2. False window using fluorescent tubes

3. Light Pipe

I have one of these. Expensive. I had problems with condensation
running down the tube & dripping. Had to insulate the metal tube in
the end.
OK since then. Works good, fresnel lens. Had it for abour four years
now.

The main difficulty is in fitting the roofmounting, light gathering
bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 10:12*pm, David J wrote:
With all the bedroom doors closed, my landing has no natural light. A
previous house had 'borrowed' lights fitted over every bedroom door,
which resolved the problem.

I knew someone who fitted curtains to theirs.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 10:28 pm, *wrote:
Jason wrote:
I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had the same problem.
Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a simple wooden frame, and it works
nicely.

I did that in my bathroom by fitting a non-opening frosted light
(ie, sheet of frosted glass 1/4-rounded into a frame). It might
look nicer than glass bricks if you make it the same width as
the door with appropriate architraving and trim, etc.

JGH

There are other options fwiw
1. fit glazed doors with acid etched glass - you can see zero through
them.
2. False window using fluorescent tubes

3. Light Pipe

4. Drink tea.

5. Press small white switch on the wall and marvel at the wonders of
electrickery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 10:28 pm, wrote:
Jason wrote:
I did this between the bathroom and the landing because we had
the same problem. Eight glass bricks from Wickes mounted in a
simple wooden frame, and it works nicely.

I did that in my bathroom by fitting a non-opening frosted light
(ie, sheet of frosted glass 1/4-rounded into a frame). It might
look nicer than glass bricks if you make it the same width as
the door with appropriate architraving and trim, etc.

JGH

There are other options fwiw
1. fit glazed doors with acid etched glass - you can see zero
through them.
2. False window using fluorescent tubes

3. Light Pipe

4. Drink tea.

5. Press small white switch on the wall and marvel at the wonders of
electrickery.

6.Get a cat. All bedroom doors are then left open.

--
Adam

Hall & landing light switch puzzle Jak UK diy 24 May 18th 07 06:32 PM
natural light into landing - inspiration ? sm_jamieson UK diy 2 July 23rd 06 08:17 AM
Landing Light Ezhik UK diy 2 February 5th 05 07:25 PM
Landing light fitting only registering 120v? Jason Arthurs UK diy 13 February 3rd 05 10:33 AM
Landing Light Switch Bodysnatcher UK diy 16 August 3rd 04 12:11 PM