Stripping Paint on Artex

Old May 8th 11, 09:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stripping Paint on Artex

Hi All,

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely and
cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa 1992 so
I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

Thanks

Old May 8th 11, 10:36 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2011 09:59, Endulini wrote:

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely
and cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa
1992 so I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

Pretty much impossible to do properly, I'd say. I'd suggest running
over it with something like a stiff scrubbing brush, which should shift
most of the worst stuff, then paint it and hope for the best

David

Old May 8th 11, 08:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 8, 10:36*am, Lobster wrote:
On 08/05/2011 09:59, Endulini wrote:

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely
and cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa
1992 so I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

Pretty much impossible to do properly, I'd say. *I'd suggest running
over it with something like a stiff scrubbing brush, which should shift
most of the worst stuff, then paint it and hope for the best

David

Yup. Once scrubbed, you could use some dilute glue to avoid more
coming off for a while, but it will one day. Don't use the glue too
strong, or you'll find repainting hard.

NT
Old May 8th 11, 10:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 May,
"Endulini" wrote:

Hi All,

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely
and cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa
1992 so I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

It should be asbestos free at that age unless it was a vintage bag.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Old May 9th 11, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 8, 9:59*am, "Endulini" wrote:
Hi All,

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely and
cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa 1992 so
I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

Thanks

I tried a wallpaper stripper, and found it was good for getting the
actual artex off !
Simon.
Old May 9th 11, 07:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2011 11:55, sm_jamieson wrote:
On May 8, 9:59 am, wrote:

The paint on my bathroom's artex ceiling is peeling off, how do I safely and
cleanly strip it back to sound paint before repainting? It's circa 1992 so
I'm hoping it doesn't contain any asbestos...

I tried a wallpaper stripper, and found it was good for getting the
actual artex off !

Can be; but depends greatly on how well the artex was stuck to the
original ceiling, what type of artex it is, etc Very likely to end in
tears!

Paint stripping Mr Fuxit UK diy 1 July 14th 07 09:38 AM
Artex repair = polyfilla+emulsion paint? Harry W B UK diy 8 June 5th 07 10:32 AM
Paint stripping fred UK diy 3 April 18th 07 03:04 PM
Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 09:53 PM
Paint stripping Philip Clark UK diy 0 December 13th 04 10:44 AM