Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK DVDs

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

It's a while since I used it.

However, if it's for watching on a computer, download, install and run
DVD43 (freeware) before you play the DVD.
http://www.dvd43.com/
That certainly works with well with American Region 1 DVDs.

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 20:13, Dave wrote:
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave

Small-scale producers won't have region coding on their DVDs.

However, the vid will be PAL / 25fps.

Most DVD players in the Rest Of The World can handle PAL and NTSC and
output whatever you want. But in the US ( and I'd guess Canada ), they
are generally fixed NTSC only. It will just barf at the PAL disk.

Decrypting progs typically don't fix the PAL / NTSC conversion required.

You can hunt for a program, or ask if the producers can create one for
you in NTSC / 30fps

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
On 05/05/2011 20:13, Dave wrote:
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave

Small-scale producers won't have region coding on their DVDs.

However, the vid will be PAL / 25fps.

Most DVD players in the Rest Of The World can handle PAL and NTSC and
output whatever you want. But in the US ( and I'd guess Canada ), they
are generally fixed NTSC only. It will just barf at the PAL disk.

Decrypting progs typically don't fix the PAL / NTSC conversion required.

You can hunt for a program, or ask if the producers can create one for
you in NTSC / 30fps

There *will* be several available......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prince-Willi.../dp/B004RRW30W

For a start. I'd guess the North American continent will be one of the
biggest markets.

Failing that, Any DVD decrypter will rip it, and just about any video
editing program will convert it. I use AnyDVD, which is illegal to use
in the USA due to the Millenium copyright act or whatever it's called.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 21:05, John Williamson wrote:
Ron Lowe wrote:
On 05/05/2011 20:13, Dave wrote:
[...]

Uh, I didn't realise they were discussing *that* wedding; I assumed some
smaller family affair.

It kind of passed me by...

In that case, the link you provided is just the ticket.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
On 05/05/2011 20:13, Dave wrote:
[...]

You didn't have a coach full of passengers demanding to listen to it, I
guess.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:26:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way.

PAL vs NTSC format is a misnomer for DVDs, but is generally used to
distinguish between 576line 25fps and 480line 30fps discs.

Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART

SCART in leftpondia? unlikely ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 22:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:26:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

As per other reply.
The framerate is different.
US players will generally BARF at PAL disks.

Bringing your own player is a possibility, and I've done that ( portable
dvd player withcomposite out ) and guess what?
The TVs are hard-coded to NTSC /30 on the composite video in.
So unless your player can output that from a PAL disk, you are still
stuffed.

Modern TVs with HDMI will sync at all the necessary rates, and will
work, so long as you have a player with HDMI out and the player can read
the PAL disk in the first place.

It's a bit dissapointing that US devices are so head-in-the-sand NTSC
only, whereas everwhere else is multi-standard compatable.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way.

PAL vs NTSC format is a misnomer for DVDs, but is generally used to
distinguish between 576line 25fps and 480line 30fps discs.

Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART

SCART in leftpondia? unlikely ...

More likely a component input. And these support upscaling, unlike SCART.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave

Use one of the readily available DVD rip libraries and reburn as a
region free DVD.

Or buy it in canada..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:26:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

Not true at all.

the movie itself will be encoded at PAL frame rates and line sizes, or
NTSC. there's more to PAL than a encoding..there are implicit frame
rates and so on.

whether or not a modern player is smart enough to do the conversion I do
not know.

But my DVD creation software certainly gives me a PAL/NTSC option when
creating a DVD disc..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Dave
saying something like:

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Rip and burn it as an xvid .avi file - almost guaranteed to play on any
DVD player unless it's prehistoric.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 00:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Rip and burn it as an xvid .avi file - almost guaranteed to play on any
DVD player unless it's prehistoric.

nero will convert pal to ntsc. it will also rip the disk but you wll
need to block the region code with somthing like region free dvd or simular.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 May 2011 00:00:44 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near

PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the

digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that

PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway

or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate

might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

Not true at all.

the movie itself will be encoded at PAL frame rates and line sizes,

625/50 and 525/60 have virtually identical line rates, the frame rate
is different, obviously, hence my comment about the programme not
lasting as long.

whether or not a modern player is smart enough to do the conversion I do
not know.

'tis true but as far as the data on the disc is concerened it is not
PAL NTSC or anything else "analogue". It's "only" a transcoding
process from MPEG-2 to output it in any digital or analogue format
you desire.

A "PAL" disc has the video encoded with as [ 720 | 704 | 352 ] x 576
pixels 25 fps and "NTSC" one [ 720 | 704 | 352 ] x 480 29.97fps.

Not that hard to drop the 96 "extra" lines when going from "PAL" to
"NTSC" be a bit quick 'n dirty but who cares these days...

As you say easier to buy a disc in Canada, there won't be a shortage
of versions I'm sure.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gary
writes
On 06/05/2011 00:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Rip and burn it as an xvid .avi file - almost guaranteed to play on any
DVD player unless it's prehistoric.

nero will convert pal to ntsc. it will also rip the disk but you wll
need to block the region code with somthing like region free dvd or
simular.

It's a few years since I used Nero to do PAL-NTSC conversions (just for
fun). The resulting video was certainly watchable, but tended to be a
bit 'edgy' and slightly 'stuttery' at times. Also, on my ancient PC, the
conversion process takes a very long time (typically four or five
hours).

As I said, unless the DVD is to be watched on a DVD player, it's much
easier simply to watch it direct on a computer, and use DVD43 to tell
the drive to ignore the region coding (and, I believe some of the forms
of copy protection). It only takes few seconds to download it and
install it.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
the movie itself will be encoded at PAL frame rates and line sizes, or
NTSC. there's more to PAL than a encoding..there are implicit frame
rates and so on.

It's still a misnomer because PAL only refers to the coding. You could
have 625/25 NTSC if you wanted - indeed there are variations around the
world.

--
*Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 May 2011 08:35:42 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

It's "only" a transcoding
process from MPEG-2 to output it in any digital or analogue format
you desire.

The fact that it's MPEG-2 coded doesn't make it any easier to do the
conversion. Converting frame rates, e.g. 25 to 29.97 or vice versa, has
always been very difficult if you want to maintain a high quality. Even a
second hand 'broadcast quality' standards converter will set you back
around £5,000 (and around ten times that when new).

Not that hard to drop the 96 "extra" lines when going from "PAL" to
"NTSC" be a bit quick 'n dirty but who cares these days...

It's not the *line conversion* that makes it difficult, it's the change in
the frame rate. To achieve smooth motion portrayal it is necessary to
interpolate frames corresponding to intermediate time intervals, and that
involves some kind of Motion Measurement. The best converters use
techniques like Phase Correlation to predict where 'objects' ought to
appear in the output frames.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:42:02 +0100, Richard Russell wrote:

Not that hard to drop the 96 "extra" lines when going from "PAL"

"NTSC" be a bit quick 'n dirty but who cares these days...

It's not the *line conversion* that makes it difficult, it's the change
in the frame rate.

You just clock the data in at a rate that generates 29.97 rather than
25 and the programme runs 17% shorter. As I said quick 'n dirty and
who cares...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:50:57 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

You just clock the data in at a rate that generates 29.97 rather than
25 and the programme runs 17% shorter. As I said quick 'n dirty and
who cares...

And what about the sound? Do you raise the pitch by 17% (in itself not
easy, and far from acceptable) or keep the sound running for the original
duration so it lags more and more behind the pictures? It's a ridiculous
idea, and not even the crudest method of standards conversion does it that
way AFAIK.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 20:26, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Dave
writes
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

It's a while since I used it.

However, if it's for watching on a computer, download, install and run
DVD43 (freeware) before you play the DVD.
http://www.dvd43.com/
That certainly works with well with American Region 1 DVDs.

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

I hadn't thought about Never The Same Colour.

Thanks, it's back to the drawing board then.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 22:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:26:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

I hadn't thought about that either. Thanks.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 22:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way.

PAL vs NTSC format is a misnomer for DVDs, but is generally used to
distinguish between 576line 25fps and 480line 30fps discs.

Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART

SCART in leftpondia? unlikely ...

Well, I'll ask them soon.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

That is something else I need to look at. Thanks.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 08:35, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Now that is a very good suggestion, it takes me out of the loop :-))

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
On 05/05/2011 22:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2011 20:26:59 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

But the signal on the disk hasn't, hopefully, been anywhere near PAL
coder, digits all the way. It's the player that coverts the digital
signal from the disc to whatever analogue is required. Be that PAL,
SECAM or NTSC... Wouldn't the player be connected via HDMI anyway or
at the very least RGB SCART avoiding PAL completely? Frame rate might
be a problem but the programme may not last as long...

I hadn't thought about that either. Thanks.

If I remember correctly, 'PAL' 625-line TV sets, which have a 50Hz field
(25Hz frame) scan rate, have little trouble locking to an 'NTSC' video
signal, which has a 60Hz field (30Hz frame) scan rate. This is because
the faster field rate triggers off the scan 'early', and it locks OK.

On the other hand, an NTSC set doesn't work with a PAL signal, because
the trigger from the slower field scan rate occurs 'too late' - ie after
the scan has decided it can't wait any longer for a trigger pulse, and
has already started off on its own (free-running). As a result it won't
lock.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave

Use one of the readily available DVD rip libraries and reburn as a
region free DVD.

Or buy it in canada..

Buying in Canada will be my recommendation after reading all the responses.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 02:01, Gary wrote:
On 06/05/2011 00:56, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Rip and burn it as an xvid .avi file - almost guaranteed to play on any
DVD player unless it's prehistoric.

nero will convert pal to ntsc. it will also rip the disk but you wll
need to block the region code with somthing like region free dvd or
simular.

I'll take a look at that after I have finished posting on this.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
On 05/05/2011 20:26, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Dave
writes
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

It's a while since I used it.

However, if it's for watching on a computer, download, install and run
DVD43 (freeware) before you play the DVD.
http://www.dvd43.com/
That certainly works with well with American Region 1 DVDs.

If it's for playing on a DVD player, as well as the region coding, the
player and or TV might not like the PAL 625-line signal.

I hadn't thought about Never The Same Colour.

Thanks, it's back to the drawing board then.

It's fairly trivial to do the conversion if that's what you want to do and
to create an NTSC disk that will play in your DVD player.

First you need to rip the DVD to disk, removing the region encoding as you
do so.

This will give you a folder that replicates the structure of files on the
DVD. An application such as VLC will now be able to play thweDVD from this
folder. So if all you/your SO want to do is to watch the DVD that's about
all you need.

If you want to burn a DVD and you want to convert to NTSC you need to
convert it. FFMPEG is free and does a brilliant job but it's a complex
application to use. However it will turn a folder of VOB files from a DVD
into a .ts file (relatively quickly) that most DVD burners can write to an
NTSC DVD. You get a simple DVD with just the main feature, no menus, and no
"extras" but it is servicable and will play on most NTSC DVD players from
this century.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 21:26, Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave

Use one of the readily available DVD rip libraries and reburn as a
region free DVD.

Or buy it in canada..

Buying in Canada will be my recommendation after reading all the responses.

Dave

I am in the UK but have actually bought DVDs over the internet from
Canada that were intended for that region. Cheaper than buying our local
region and play fine on our multi-region DVD player.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not play
in Canada, due to the region lockout.

I checked on amazon.com this morning. Region 1 NTSC DVDs of the Royal
Wedding are due in on 24th May, available for pre-order at $5.99 and are
the BBC editions. It would seem sensible if your wife wants a memento to
go for one of those.

BTW, did you know that the "official" wedding programme is available to
download for free? That may keep her curiosity quotient for the royals
topped up until the DVD arrives.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/cont...ts/RWOP_V2.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 22:27, Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info. Noted and printed and I will get back to the
problem on Monday.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/05/2011 23:13, Invisible Man wrote:
On 06/05/2011 21:26, Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
If my wife buys a DVD of last Fridays wedding, I assume it will not
play in Canada, due to the region lockout.

Will DVD de-crypt cure this problem?

Dave

Use one of the readily available DVD rip libraries and reburn as a
region free DVD.

Or buy it in canada..

Buying in Canada will be my recommendation after reading all the

Dave

I am in the UK but have actually bought DVDs over the internet from
Canada that were intended for that region. Cheaper than buying our local
region and play fine on our multi-region DVD player.

Trouble is, I don't know if they can work out how to enable multi
regional. I know it can be done on most system, but with the player
being in Canada...

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 May 2011 21:22:33 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes
[...]

Some do, some don't. IIRC, unless PAL sets are specifically designed
to display NTSC, then they don't.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
On Fri, 6 May 2011 21:22:33 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Dave
writes
[...]

Since around the 1980s, there have been ordinary VCRs which could play
NTSC tapes, and output composite video 'NTSC' with 4.43MHz colour. All
my TV sets have been OK when fed with such a signal - including a
still-working Goodmans 14" set, which must be over 20 years old.
Somewhere in the loft, I've got an old B&W set from the mid-1970s. One
day, I'll try it. However, it could indeed be that I might have to
cheat, and tweak the vertical and horizontal presets.
--
Ian