Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Referendum

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 02 May 2011 20:24:19 +0100, Old Codger wrote:

But, because of the electoral boundaries, parties end up in

government
with less votes overall than the opposition, and you can't get

more
unfair than that.

That effect is primarily because we vote for a candidate, not a party.

I think most people vote for a party, probably the one their parents
and grand parents voted for, simply because "that is what you do".

Personally I vote for the candidate(s) who show most promise in
actually representing and working for me in parliament/council. The
party they may or may not belong to is almost irrelevant.

TBH the parties ought to be abolished and MPs forced to do what they
should be doing, representing their constituents, not just cow towing
to the party whip.

If they don't toe the line they get deselected. Too many of our MPs
today are career politicians. That's all they know.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 13:51, hugh wrote:
[...]

Too right. They know how parliament works (possibly) but so many have
absolutely no comprehension whatsoever of how many people live.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

Usually they don't. What does happen is that they don't get selected for
government jobs (and the extra money/future opportunity) that goes with it.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 13:51, hugh wrote:
[...]

That includes the present Prime Minister.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 20:26, Old Codger wrote:
On 04/05/2011 13:51, hugh wrote:
[...]

who can't even make a convincing job of putting over a pre-prepared
sound-bite!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 May 2011 20:26:43 +0100, Old Codger
wrote:

On 04/05/2011 13:51, hugh wrote:
[...]

And the chancellor who went into politics because he failed to make it
as a Journalist.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2011 09:45, Mark wrote:
On Wed, 04 May 2011 20:26:43 +0100, Old
wrote:

On 04/05/2011 13:51, hugh wrote:
In whill.co.uk, Dave
[...]

Indeed.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Referendum John Williamson UK diy 58 May 12th 11 12:09 PM
Referendum John Williamson UK diy 12 May 5th 11 11:05 AM
Referendum hugh UK diy 1 May 4th 11 08:29 PM
Referendum John Weston UK diy 0 May 3rd 11 04:19 PM