blade bolt on lawnmower, which way to turn?

Old April 22nd 11, 04:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blade bolt on lawnmower, which way to turn?

I've just acquired a McCulloch (ML433r) Petrol lawnmower and trying to
remove the blade to sharpen it.
Its quite rusty down there and I'm not sure which way the bolt goes to
remove it!
Turning the lawnmower upside down it looks like the blade rotates
anti-clockwise so would it be logical for the bolt to turn anti-clockwise as
well to slacken it off?

Cheers

Old April 22nd 11, 04:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steven
Campbell spam@away.? writes
I've just acquired a McCulloch (ML433r) Petrol lawnmower and trying to
remove the blade to sharpen it.
Its quite rusty down there and I'm not sure which way the bolt goes to
remove it!
Turning the lawnmower upside down it looks like the blade rotates
anti-clockwise so would it be logical for the bolt to turn anti-clockwise as
well to slacken it off?

Cheers

I think you are right - I am sure my flymo the bolt tightens clockwise.
The blade normally has some keying into the mounting below. It should
not be too tight!
--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Old April 22nd 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
In article , Steven
Campbell spam@away.? writes
I've just acquired a McCulloch (ML433r) Petrol lawnmower and trying to
remove the blade to sharpen it.
Its quite rusty down there and I'm not sure which way the bolt goes to
remove it!
Turning the lawnmower upside down it looks like the blade rotates
anti-clockwise so would it be logical for the bolt to turn anti-clockwise
as
well to slacken it off?

Cheers

I think you are right - I am sure my flymo the bolt tightens clockwise.
The blade normally has some keying into the mounting below. It should
not be too tight!
--

Cheers John.

Yes it was indeed anti-clockwise to slacken it. It came free after a good
squirt of Wd40 ;o)

B&D lawnmower. How to remove blade from electric lawnmower? mm Home Repair 23 July 10th 09 05:12 AM
Toro 22" Walk-Behind Lawnmower: Bolt Size & Type Question For Blade Robert11 Home Repair 7 May 28th 08 11:53 AM
Hayter Lawnmower Disc Blade Carrier - how to remove? Davy UK diy 24 June 18th 07 10:08 AM
lawnmower blade... Cuprager UK diy 11 August 17th 06 12:08 PM
Lawnmower Blade Adapter Removal twalz68225 Home Repair 2 May 13th 05 04:09 PM