Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

Old April 8th 11, 12:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

Hi all,

I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second hand

The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.

It has a single transformer voltage of 25V

With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.

I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?

While no carpenter I would like to have a go.

Any thoughts welcomed,

Mick.

Old April 8th 11, 02:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 12:59*pm, "Mick." wrote:
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.
Old April 8th 11, 02:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 8, 12:59 pm, "Mick." wrote:
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Most DC style motors are very generic.
Old April 8th 11, 04:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:16:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Eh, having had both types apart there is very little difference the
motor just replaces the handle. The rest of the mechansium is very
similar, channel attached to the bottom of the glass, one or two arms
with rollers in the channel, quadrant drive from the handle/motor to
make the arm(s) go up/down.

I think there are recirculating ball drives and worm drives but they
strike me as even more complicated.

Most DC style motors are very generic.

For something like a chair I'd agree, cars tend to use custom motors
simply 'cause of the scale of manufacture.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old April 8th 11, 06:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:16:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Eh, having had both types apart there is very little difference the
motor just replaces the handle. The rest of the mechansium is very
similar, channel attached to the bottom of the glass, one or two arms
with rollers in the channel, quadrant drive from the handle/motor to
make the arm(s) go up/down.

I think there are recirculating ball drives and worm drives but they
strike me as even more complicated.

Most DC style motors are very generic.

For something like a chair I'd agree, cars tend to use custom motors
simply 'cause of the scale of manufacture.

I thin you will find they are still generic.

Mabuchi for example, spits out billions of DC motors to almost any spec
you want. From toothbrush to a golf buggy. Its not hard to fn one of
similar power and voltage rating, and its not usually that critical either.

Old April 8th 11, 07:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:55:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Car seat motors may well even be indentical to the original - a
surprising amount of stuff gets shared around. Ford's seat-height knob
once appeared on an operating table.

Was that in the episode of the Hitch Hiker's Guide that they banned?

Thankfully, my cuppa is currently brewing, and none of it was in my
mouth
Old April 8th 11, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message ...
In article 7b4ecd9d-81df-4234-8e3c-
,
says...
I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.

Car seat motors may well even be indentical to the original - a
surprising amount of stuff gets shared around. Ford's seat-height knob
once appeared on an operating table.

The four Goldberg brothers, Lowell, Norman, Hiram, and Max, invented and developed the first automobile air-conditioner.
On July 17, 1946, the temperature in Detroit was 97 degrees.
The four brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that four gentlemen were
there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter.
Henry was curious and invited them into his office. They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car.
They persuaded him to get into the car, which was about 130 degrees, turned on the air conditioner, and cooled the car off
immediately.
The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them $3 million for the patent.
The brothers refused, saying they would settle for $2 million, but they wanted the recognition by having a label, 'The Goldberg
Air-Conditioner,' on the dashboard of each car in which it was installed.
Now old man Ford was more than just a little anti-Semitic, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on two
million Fords.
They haggled back and forth for about two hours and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown.
And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show - Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max - on the controls.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Recliner lubrication Jim S UK diy 8 November 2nd 10 07:45 PM
La-Z-Boy Recliner gcotterl Home Repair 6 September 13th 10 03:04 PM
Disassemble recliner H B Home Repair 2 October 8th 07 08:49 AM
Lay-Z-boy recliner foot mechanism chair is stuck in up position [email protected] Home Repair 7 September 21st 06 12:46 PM
Stinky Recliner, how to take out the stink ziggs Home Repair 7 July 8th 06 06:47 PM