Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Running main bonding conductor

I have to run new 10mm^2 bonding from CU to new stoptap location. Does
it have to run in safe zones like live wiring ?
Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to run new 10mm^2 bonding from CU to new stoptap location. Does
it have to run in safe zones like live wiring ?
Thanks,

Now that's one I have never heard asked before. Nice one:-)

I have always installed it in the safe zones or followed a, c or d here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...and_Protection

But it need not have 30mA RCD protection:-)

--
Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 12:35*am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to run new 10mm^2 bonding from CU to new stoptap location. Does
it have to run in safe zones like live wiring ?
Thanks,

Now that's one I have never heard asked before. Nice one:-)

I have always installed it in the safe zones or followed a, c or d here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...and_Protection

But it need not have 30mA RCD protection:-)

I guess it needs protection in the same way but for different reasons.
You could drill through the main bonding conductor and never know
about it.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to run new 10mm^2 bonding from CU to new stoptap location. Does
it have to run in safe zones like live wiring ?

Now that's one I have never heard asked before. Nice one:-)
I have always installed it in the safe zones or followed a, c or d here

I've always surface mounted it, along with the supply
tails. I like having supply tails visible for ease of
visible inspection, and to get that small addition 5%(?)
of current-carrying capacity. Useful when most of my
installations have to be designed from scratch rather
than book-standard circuits.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:

I've always surface mounted it, along with the supply
tails. I like having supply tails visible for ease of
visible inspection, and to get that small addition 5%(?)
of current-carrying capacity. Useful when most of my
installations have to be designed from scratch rather
than book-standard circuits.

That's fine where everything is nice and close together. If your
water stop tap is in the kitchen, with gas an electricity in the
garage, for instance, there may well be a considerable run of
cable.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
jgharston wrote:

I've always surface mounted it, along with the supply
tails. I like having supply tails visible for ease of
visible inspection, and to get that small addition 5%(?)
of current-carrying capacity. Useful when most of my
installations have to be designed from scratch rather
than book-standard circuits.

That's fine where everything is nice and close together. If your
water stop tap is in the kitchen, with gas an electricity in the
garage, for instance, there may well be a considerable run of
cable.

I am sure my customers would be delighted to see me clip a 10mm green/yellow
down the wall when doing a rewi-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am sure my customers would be delighted to see me clip a 10mm
green/yellow down the wall when doing a rewi-)

Who says you need to use green/yellow cable? And might that also just
possibly be the answer to the original question?

Reg. 522.6.6 (about the zones) only applies to "A cable concealed in a
wall ...."

IIRC ('cos I'm too mean an amateur to have bought the regs.) the
regulations for the main equipotential bonding (544.1) specify a
conductor but don't require it to be a "cable". As I can't find a
definition of cable I assume it takes its ordinary meaning, so if you
use
something that's clearly not cable as the conductor - eg copper pipe or
lightning conductor strip? - for the main equipotential bonding then

Of course it might be a bit of a challenge to fit copper pipe into the
MET and clamp it to the water pipe though I'm sure I'd find someone here
to tell me what to do )

That said, I suspect I'd fail the unwritten "no bloody smart-arse
shed-lawyer solutions"
regulation

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com