Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Expansion vessel - Schrader valve

The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely disconnected
and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve. Understandably, the
company that services the boiler is reluctant to do this on a regular
basis (even though on the one-and-only occasion it has been checked there
was no pressure and it had to be pumped up).

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access? It would
need to be at least 6" long.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 00:08:21 +0100, Skipweasel
wrote:

In article op.vs0wlcw5n5ksl5@richard, says...
Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access?

Well - they exist, but finding one locally might be harder.

http://www.wheel-weight.com/Flexible...nsion-174.html

The contact name there is a Ms Hua...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Russell" wrote
Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access? It would
need to be at least 6" long.

any truck parts supplier will sell them, also motorhome type places,
commonly used as tyre valve extensions, where you have dual rear wheels, and
thus have an awkward job getting the airline connector onto the tyres
valves,

you can also get spare tyre valve extensions, mainly for motorhomes that
have the spare tyre under the chassis as most vans do, but then have a low
hanging body built on the chassis making crawling under to check the spares
pressure a bit of a chore,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 27, 11:25 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely disconnected
and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve. Understandably, the
company that services the boiler is reluctant to do this on a regular
basis (even though on the one-and-only occasion it has been checked there
was no pressure and it had to be pumped up).

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access? It would
need to be at least 6" long.

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

JFGI !!
search ebay for "tyre valve extension"
about a fiver should see you right

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 27, 11:25*pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely disconnected *
and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve. *Understandably, the *
company that services the boiler is reluctant to do this on a regular *
basis (even though on the one-and-only occasion it has been checked there *
was no pressure and it had to be pumped up).

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could *
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access? *It would *
need to be at least 6" long.

Richard.http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

I had a boiler where the pressure vessel itself was on a flexible
pipe so it could be lifted out of the boiler to be recharged. It
rested on a little bracket. Possible alternative?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2011 23:25, Richard Russell wrote:
The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely
disconnected and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve.

IME an expansion vessel that regularly needs re-inflating will not last
much longer and really needs replacing. On some boilers this is easy,
on others it means a major strip-down, or removal of the boiler from the
wall. P&H engineers, I notice, often abandon the dead internal unit and
fit a new outboard EV in some (in)convenient nook or cranny.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2011 23:25, Richard Russell wrote:
The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely
disconnected and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve.
Understandably, the company that services the boiler is reluctant to
do this on a regular basis (even though on the one-and-only occasion
it has been checked there was no pressure and it had to be pumped up).

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which
could be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access?
It would need to be at least 6" long.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

My boiler, an Atmos HE32 has an expansion vessel which is on hinges, it
swings out of the way if you need to get at the bits behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0nHjm19Oi6I&rel=0&hl=en

Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2011 12:39, Donwill wrote:
On 27/03/2011 23:25, Richard Russell wrote:
The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely
disconnected and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve.
Understandably, the company that services the boiler is reluctant to
do this on a regular basis (even though on the one-and-only occasion
it has been checked there was no pressure and it had to be pumped up).

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which
could be left permanently attached to provide more convenient
access? It would need to be at least 6" long.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

My boiler, an Atmos HE32 has an expansion vessel which is on hinges,
it swings out of the way if you need to get at the bits behind it.

(rubbish link deleted)

Sorry that link doesn't seem to work, try-

http://www.atmos.uk.com/product_grou...n=000200130003

Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:48:20 +0100, Jim K wrote:

search ebay for "tyre valve extension"

Thanks for that. Incidentally I *did* Google for it before posting, but
my searches included the word Schrader and those Ebay listings don't
mention the word at all.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 28, 1:54 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:48:20 +0100, Jim K wrote:
search ebay for "tyre valve extension"

Thanks for that. Incidentally I *did* Google for it before posting, but
my searches included the word Schrader and those Ebay listings don't
mention the word at all.

strange... when i google "tyre valve extension schrader" the first hit
is for those on ebay.... followed by loads of others for a fiver here
and there.

(altho not many of those on Ebay specifically say Schrader)

anyhow we're there now

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:12:47 +0100, Jim K wrote:

On Mar 28, 1:54 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
strange... when i google "tyre valve extension schrader" the first hit
is for those on ebay

But you included the word 'tyre' in your search. Since my requirement has
nothing to do with tyres it never occurred to me to use that word!

I am generally pretty good at finding things using Google, often
succeeding where others have failed, but on this occasion I made the
mistake of using the correct terminology. I must learn to dumb down my
searches...

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 28, 5:56 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:12:47 +0100, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:54 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
strange... when i google "tyre valve extension schrader" the first hit
is for those on ebay

But you included the word 'tyre' in your search. Since my requirement has
nothing to do with tyres it never occurred to me to use that word!

I am generally pretty good at finding things using Google, often
succeeding where others have failed, but on this occasion I made the
mistake of using the correct terminology. I must learn to dumb down my
searches...

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

just be happy you got what you came for.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

On Mar 28, 5:56 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 14:12:47 +0100, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:54 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
strange... when i google "tyre valve extension schrader" the first hit
is for those on ebay

But you included the word 'tyre' in your search. Since my requirement has
nothing to do with tyres it never occurred to me to use that word!

I am generally pretty good at finding things using Google, often
succeeding where others have failed, but on this occasion I made the
mistake of using the correct terminology. I must learn to dumb down my
searches...

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

BT used to (maybe still do) use them to test air pressure in cable
joints.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2011 19:10, Jim K wrote:

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

Suspension units on bikes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:53:40 +0100, Clive George wrote:

On 28/03/2011 19:10, Jim K wrote:

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

Suspension units on bikes.

And tyres on MTBs.
I use a track pump from Aldi my boilers expansion vessel, The pump has
schrader and presta attachments and quite a long hose.

The main problem was finding the old pressure gauge from motorcycling days -
the one for the bikes starts at 50 psi.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim K wrote:
On Mar 28, 5:56 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
mistake of using the correct terminology. I must learn to dumb down my
searches...

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

Expansion vessels :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 29, 8:49*am, (Alan Braggins) wrote:
In article , Jim K wrote:
On Mar 28, 5:56 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
mistake of using the correct terminology. *I must learn to dumb down my
searches...

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

Expansion vessels :-)

Hydroelastic suspension filler in old Austin MAXIcars?

Fuel pressure guage connection point on some petrol engines.

Input of fogging oil to fancy carburetters on outboard motors

:-)

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim K wrote:
On Mar 28, 5:56 pm, "Richard Russell" wrote:
mistake of using the correct terminology. *I must learn to dumb down my
searches...

dumb down? what else uses Schrader valves besides tyres?!?!

Expansion vessels :-)

Hydroelastic suspension filler in old Austin MAXIcars?

Fuel pressure guage connection point on some petrol engines.

Input of fogging oil to fancy carburetters on outboard motors

:-)

Robert

Front forks on a mate's Scott motorbike.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Richard Russell"
saying something like:

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access? It would
need to be at least 6" long.

Yes, indeed.
You can get them from a commercial truck stockist, for extending the
valve stems on the inner wheels of truck trailers. I had a couple of
them 4" long and I'm sure there were longer ones.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Russell View Post
The expansion vessel in our Baxi boiler has to be completely disconnected
and removed to gain access to the Schrader valve. Understandably, the
company that services the boiler is reluctant to do this on a regular
basis (even though on the one-and-only occasion it has been checked there
was no pressure and it had to be pumped up).

Is there such a thing as a flexible Schrader valve extension which could
be left permanently attached to provide more convenient access? It would
need to be at least 6" long.

Richard.
www.rtrussell.co.uk
baxi part number 235885 £9.99 is the cheapest i can find.