Inverse Screws

Old March 21st 11, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inverse Screws

Need to disassemble a motor (see cooling fan thread) which is held
together by four long machine screws with a head that I have never seen
before. Imagine a slotted machine screw but with a 'slot' that is raised
rather than sunken. Anyone come across this before? Does it have a name?

Andrew
Old March 21st 11, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
Need to disassemble a motor (see cooling fan thread) which is held
together by four long machine screws with a head that I have never seen
before. Imagine a slotted machine screw but with a 'slot' that is raised
rather than sunken. Anyone come across this before? Does it have a name?

Andrew

There are umpteen types of tamper resistant screw head available. This may
be a custom one made solely by the motor manufacturer. I'm sure you can
hacksaw or file a matching slot in something you can then drive with a
socket or similar. A bit of scrap bar with the slot at one end and a cross
hole drilled through it at the other to take a tommy bar would suffice. You
might even be able to just grip the ridge on the screw with mole grips if
it's high enough.
--
Dave Baker

Old March 21st 11, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 11:55*am, Andrew May wrote:

Imagine a slotted machine screw but with a 'slot' that is raised
rather than sunken.

Does it have a name?

None that are printable.

Drivers are easy enough to make (old hex bit, cut a slot), but they're
a very fragile head. Enough torque to put them in clean, not enough to
get them out once manked into place. Maybe they're deliberate?

I've had some out, but never a whole motorful as there was always one
that was too tight and the head stripped. I ended up dremelling a new
slot, then taking them out with a conventional screwdriver.
Old March 21st 11, 09:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 11:55*am, Andrew May wrote:
Need to disassemble a motor (see cooling fan thread) which is held
together by four long machine screws with a head that I have never seen
before. Imagine a slotted machine screw but with a 'slot' that is raised
rather than sunken. Anyone come across this before? Does it have a name?

Andrew

Maplins usually sell them:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ratchet-and-...c=so&u=strat15
but also search for security screwdrivers on eBay.

rusty

Old March 22nd 11, 09:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:47:12 -0700, therustyone wrote:

On Mar 21, 11:55*am, Andrew May wrote:
Need to disassemble a motor (see cooling fan thread) which is held
together by four long machine screws with a head that I have never seen
before. Imagine a slotted machine screw but with a 'slot' that is
raised rather than sunken. Anyone come across this before? Does it have
a name?

Andrew

Maplins usually sell them:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ratchet-and-...bit-set-37794?

tabid=1&criteria=usb&c=so&u=strat15
but also search for security screwdrivers on eBay.

Any idea which out of that set is the raised slot? Would be useful to have
the correct name for further searching.

Andrew
Old March 22nd 11, 01:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 9:29*am, Andrew May wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:47:12 -0700, therustyone wrote:
On Mar 21, 11:55*am, Andrew May wrote:
Need to disassemble a motor (see cooling fan thread) which is held
together by four long machine screws with a head that I have never seen
before. Imagine a slotted machine screw but with a 'slot' that is
raised rather than sunken. Anyone come across this before? Does it have
a name?

Andrew

Maplins usually sell them:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/ratchet-and-...bit-set-37794?

tabid=1&criteria=usb&c=so&u=strat15 but also search for security screwdrivers on eBay.

Any idea which out of that set is the raised slot? Would be useful to have
the correct name for further searching.

Andrew

to be fair, I found my set of bits, but there's nothing exactly like
an inverse screw. There are 4 plain screwdriver bits with a
rectangular slot in the middle which are 4,5,6 and 6 mm diam.
Might do if the screws aren't too tight.

rusty

Inverse RIAA Network--from rec.audio.tubes The Phantom Electronic Schematics 6 May 21st 07 03:42 PM
Inverse countersink? T i m UK diy 33 April 9th 06 08:27 AM
35585 Mining the Web :Searches with Kriging, Inverse DistanceWeighting, eigenVectors and Cross-Pollination 35585 Web Science Home Repair 0 November 16th 04 10:01 PM
75016 Mining the Web: eigenVectors, Kriging, Inverse DistanceWeighting Searches 75016 Web Science Woodworking 0 November 16th 04 10:01 PM
BATTERY WITH INVERSE VOLTAGE ? mowhoong Electronics Repair 5 May 13th 04 04:41 AM