Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fireplace in bedroom

Both the fireplaces in our house were blocked up long before we got here.

However OH has drilled a large hole ( dinner plate size) in the bedroom flu
/ fireplace because a bird got trapped and was flapping around in there.

So, to the question, when he drilled through he found that the flue seemed
very small . It has been filled to its entirety with a six inch deep block.
Can someone throw any light on how a flu could be so small? Its a 1950's
build bungalow . In the country in Cornwall - so although its 1950's build
may be more akin to 1920's/30's even.

What kind of fire could have been fitted in such a small opening?

Not that we are opening it up but we have one in the study which also is
blocked and another in the kitchen which we thought once housed a boiler and
OH had considered opening one of those two and putting in solid fuel central
heating or wood burners or something, but if they are constructed like the
bedroom one, he may be stumped ( he says).

Anyone know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "sweetheart"
says...
However OH has drilled a large hole ( dinner plate size) in the bedroom flu
/ fireplace because a bird got trapped and was flapping around in there.

Obstreperous Husband?
Oily Hand?
'Orrible Hairy?
Obese Hothead?
Other Hat?

So, to the question, when he drilled through he found that the flue seemed
very small . It has been filled to its entirety with a six inch deep block.

6" ain't that small for a flue. Could it have been a gas fire?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
writes
[...]

Have you found the body yet?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 18, 10:25*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

Open fire place chimneys shave a "throat", ie a restriction to
controll the draught of the chimney.
Higher up you will find the chimneu will be 8" square.
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/open..._fireplace.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
Both the fireplaces in our house were blocked up long before we got here.

However OH has drilled a large hole ( dinner plate size) in the bedroom
flu / fireplace because a bird got trapped and was flapping around in
there.

So, to the question, when he drilled through he found that the flue
seemed very small . It has been filled to its entirety with a six inch
deep block. Can someone throw any light on how a flu could be so small?
Its a 1950's build bungalow . In the country in Cornwall - so although
its 1950's build may be more akin to 1920's/30's even.

What kind of fire could have been fitted in such a small opening?

A small one

Not that we are opening it up but we have one in the study which also is
blocked and another in the kitchen which we thought once housed a boiler
and OH had considered opening one of those two and putting in solid fuel
central heating or wood burners or something, but if they are
constructed like the bedroom one, he may be stumped ( he says).

Anyone know?

You need about 9" to fit a proper wood buring capable liner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 19, 12:32 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

although if the flue is straightish and not too long you may find a
standard 6" flexible solid fuel flue liner will make it through...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
Obstreperous Husband?
Oily Hand?
'Orrible Hairy?
Obese Hothead?
Other Hat?

Other Half

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

I would not use a flexible flue in a suspect old stack.

Wood burners can burn VERY hot.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need about 9" to fit a proper wood buring capable liner.

although if the flue is straightish and not too long you may find a
standard 6" flexible solid fuel flue liner will make it through...

Jim K

Yep. That's what I've got on mine. Two storeys but dead straight. Works
a treat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Further to my prev.
To install a new anything you would need to pull all the brickwork out
until you get back to the builder's opening. ie, there will be two
piers of brickwork with a lintels/arch holding up the chimney.

It may well have to be lined. The usual way is a flexiblemetalliner
fed infrom the top.
However it's very common for these chimneys to have a "wiggle"builti
nto the brickwork a couple of feet above the fireplace..This keeps out
rain and again contols draught. This can be detected by looking up
the chimney(for daylight) when the fireplace has been removed right
back to the builders opening.

http://www.castironfireplacecompany....place-fitting/
builder-s-opening-increased-or-reduced.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

it's what they are designed for....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Jim K- Hide quoted text -

Before you decide to fit a liner, examine the exterior chimney with
binoculars.You are looking for crumbling bricks and bad pointing,
damaged/displaced flashing but most of all for vertical cracks,
(indicating lighning strikes, or more likely, a chimney fire).
This would need to be put right.
Wood burners are not as hot as coal. The problem arises fron tar
deposites which can easily catch fire and seriously damage a chimney
or even burn the house down.
This is due to wet wood, cold chimney or oversized chimney. You need a
liner for a wood burner. It will cost as much as your stove.
Wood burning is not a cheap option unless your wood is free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Flexi liners are designed mainly as after market bodges for central
heating boilers and gas fires. NOT solid fuel fires.

An are illegal unless the property is older than IIRC 1973.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Flexi liners are designed mainly as after market bodges for central
heating boilers and gas fires. NOT solid fuel fires.

An are illegal unless the property is older than IIRC 1973.

No:

http://www.flueandchimney.co.uk/flue...8Solid+Fuel%29

Jim K

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Legal maybe, but I would never use a pre1973 flue as they are far too old
for my tastes:-)

Sorry Sweatheart, bad taste joke.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Flexi liners are designed mainly as after market bodges for central
heating boilers and gas fires. NOT solid fuel fires.

An are illegal unless the property is older than IIRC 1973.

No:

http://www.flueandchimney.co.uk/flue...8Solid+Fuel%29

#

No, its still not allowed for newer properties, even the double walled
stuff IIRC.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.flueandchimney.co.uk/flue...ubCats.asp?Cat...

#

No, its still not allowed for newer properties, even the double walled
stuff IIRC.

Jim K

time for your link methinks ..........

perhaps you are getting confused with newbuild? (which we are *not*
talking about BTW)...

Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
......"Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Flexi liners are designed mainly as after market bodges for central
heating boilers and gas fires. NOT solid fuel fires.

An are illegal unless the property is older than IIRC 1973.

No:

http://www.flueandchimney.co.uk/flue...8Solid+Fuel%29

#

No, its still not allowed for newer properties, even the double walled
stuff IIRC.

Hang on - are we talking about installation as part of the building works or
lining an existing chimney?

Because if your chimney has issues (no matter how old) - what else do you
do?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 8:44 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

indeed.
suspect an unNatural cockup ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Flexi liners are designed mainly as after market bodges for central
heating boilers and gas fires. NOT solid fuel fires.

An are illegal unless the property is older than IIRC 1973.

No:

http://www.flueandchimney.co.uk/flue...ubCats.asp?Cat...

#

No, its still not allowed for newer properties, even the double walled
stuff IIRC.

Hang on - are we talking about installation as part of the building works or
lining an existing chimney?

Because if your chimney has issues (no matter how old) - what else do you
do?

--
Tim Watts

There are other systems.
There is one where they insert a long flexible balloon into the
chimney and inflate it. Refractory concrete is poured down the chimney
round the balloon. When it sets, the balloon is deflated and removed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

Do you have a link to one "specially for woodburners"?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Problems occur when the flue bends and the inflatable "sausage"
touches the old masonry on the inside of the bend, so that when the
concrete lining is poured in it odesn't line the inside of the bend.
Doing the job "correctly" involves surveying the flue and opening up
through chimney breasts etc where the bends are and spacing the
"sausage" away from the inside of the bends - a dirty messy job which
is umpopular with home owners so often skipped by unscrupulous
installers....

Is it time for a Wiki on this?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney
and should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a
chimney is being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or
whatever it is they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

Mine is heavy duty single wall - installed to current standards.

But that goes up a solid masonry chimney so the liner running hot is not an
issue - its primary prurpose is to prevent fume leakage and to "manage" the
updraught.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney
and should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a
chimney is being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or
whatever it is they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

Mine is heavy duty single wall - installed to current standards.

interesting - got a link?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

Do you have a link to one "specially for woodburners"?

Jim K- Hide quoted text -

Heh Heh,I just removed one and chucked it out! I was removing the
entire chimney, top to bottom.
"Ask Jeeves" is your friend. Bugger Google.
http://www.flexifluedirect.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

http://www.flexifluedirect.com/

mmm no "specially for woodburners" flexi liners there, just usual
"solid fuels" twinwall ones....??

Jim K.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a
chimney and should not be used as the primary liner of a new
chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a
chimney is being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners
or whatever it is they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

http://www.flexifluedirect.com/

mmm no "specially for woodburners" flexi liners there, just usual
"solid fuels" twinwall ones....??

Jim K.

It is possible I was mistaken looking at that. The bit of offcut I saw on
mine looked like one thickness, but if the inner lining is just to smooth it
out, I may not have noticed that as it was cut with tin snips so the two
walls were probably pressed together. I was thinking "twin wall" would be
thicker somehow. I apologie for being misleading.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 7:33*pm, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:18 pm, harry wrote:

Jim K wrote:
Page 20, Paragraph 1.40
....."Flexible flue liners should only be used to reline a chimney and
should not be used as the primary liner of a new chimney.."

That is my understanding - and there's not much point anyway if a chimney is
being built as it's easier to use sectional clay liners or whatever it is
they use these days.

--
Tim Watts

Exactly so.
There are flexible liners specially for woodburners, some are twin
wall.

I believe *all* solid fuel flexible flue liners are twin wall
stainless steel.

http://www.flexifluedirect.com/

mmm no "specially for woodburners" flexi liners there, just usual
"solid fuels" twinwall ones....??

Jim K.- Hide quoted text -

Very first item on the page????????????????
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 8:56 am, harry wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:33 pm, Jim K wrote:

On Mar 21, 7:18 pm, harry wrote:

Jim K wrote:
[...]

Christ and you seriously think that is actually "specially for
woodburners" ???????????
Tell me what's "special" about it?

(NB click the link and you end up on the good old "ordinary" solid
fuel flexi flue liners page....)

Jim K