Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floorboard screws

How best to screw down old floorboards ?
Spax Flooring Screw ?
file:///home/george/diy-ub/Spax-Flooring-Screw-Zinc-Yellow-Passivated-4-5-X-60mm-Pack-of-300.html.mht

They have a smooth bit of shaft so the floorbaord will be pulled down
tight,
but the bit of thread at the top seems to me to spoil this effect:
either the thread there will grip and hold the board up,
or it will tear the wood, pulling the board down.
So why have a bit of thread at the top?
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2011 12:00, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
How best to screw down old floorboards ?
Spax Flooring Screw ?
file:///home/george/diy-ub/Spax-Flooring-Screw-Zinc-Yellow-Passivated-4-5-X-60mm-Pack-of-300.html.mht

Please give a proper link. How are we supposed to access a file on
*your* hard disk?!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I''ve not used them yet but I have bought some in readiness for a small
job and the answer on the Axminster site was "Upper thread locks the top
board securely (No more squeaks)".

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/11 13:06, Roger Mills wrote:
On 14/03/2011 12:00, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
How best to screw down old floorboards ?
Spax Flooring Screw ?
file:///home/george/diy-ub/Spax-Flooring-Screw-Zinc-Yellow-Passivated-4-5-X-60mm-Pack-of-300.html.mht

Please give a proper link. How are we supposed to access a file on
*your* hard disk?!

ooops...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/...mm-Pack-of-300

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , george [dicegeorge]
writes
On 14/03/11 13:06, Roger Mills wrote:
On 14/03/2011 12:00, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
How best to screw down old floorboards ?
Spax Flooring Screw ?
file:///home/george/diy-ub/Spax-Flooring-Screw-Zinc-Yellow-Passivated-4-5-X-

60mm-Pack-of-300.html.mht

Please give a proper link. How are we supposed to access a file on
*your* hard disk?!

ooops...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/...s/Spax/Spax-T-
Star/Spax-Flooring-Screw-Zinc-Yellow-Passivated-4-5-X-60mm-Pack-of-300

I can't see the benefit of those over conventional, fully cut screws. If
the board is not fully tightened to the joist already then the final
tightening action of pulling the board down will cause the top thread to
strip out of the board so the benefit of that part is lost.

In a similar spot, I'd use these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22388/

Just noticed however that yours are marginally cheaper per screw so hey,
go for it.

Btw, for more manageable screwfix links, it's ok to strip the part after
the part code, it's redundant.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:27:08 +0000, fred wrote:

[...]

Unless I'm mistaken those appear to be left-hand thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
In a similar spot, I'd use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22388/

Unless I'm mistaken those appear to be left-hand thread.

It really jumps out at you, doesn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Appelation
Controlee writes
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:27:08 +0000, fred wrote:

In a similar spot, I'd use these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/22388/

Unless I'm mistaken those appear to be left-hand thread.

Self tightening (in the northern hemisphere) ;-)

Here's a pic of the non self tightening version:

http://i55.tinypic.com/wqoizs.png
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/11 22:01, Appelation Controlee wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:27:08 +0000, wrote:

In , george [dicegeorge]
writes
[...]

I guess they accidentally reversed the image.

Still havent seen a convincing reason
for the short thread at the top of
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/
why oh why?
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Still havent seen a convincing reason
for the short thread at the top of
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/
why oh why?

For my education, what please was unconvincing about the explanation
from the Axminster site that I posted please? (That was ""Upper thread
locks the top
board securely (No more squeaks)"

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 15, 1:35*pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:

Still havent seen a convincing reason
for the short thread at the top ofhttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/

Finer pitch than the main thread, so it locks the board against the
screw head, but still allows them to be tightened down onto the joist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , says...
Still havent seen a convincing reason
for the short thread at the top of
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/
why oh why?

Probably to stop the board sliding up and down on the shank of the screw
and squeaking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/11 15:48, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mar 15, 1:35 pm, "george
wrote:

Still havent seen a convincing reason
for the short thread at the top ofhttp://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/

Finer pitch than the main thread, so it locks the board against the
screw head, but still allows them to be tightened down onto the joist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_t....2C_and_starts
shows me what pitch is.

But Spax Flooring Screws threads top and bottom
look the same pitch at in the picture at:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88716/

Thinking again maybe how it works is that
the lower thread drills through the floorboards into the joist
and when the smooth middle bit is in the floorboard
it pulls the board down with friction on the (not totally) smooth centre
of the screw.

Then, when the top bit of thread gets into the floorboard
that fixes the floorboard into the position it is
so it doesnt ever move again due to changing humidity etc.

Its unlikely that the top bit of the thread on the screw
will start exactly where the new groove starts in the floorboard,
so it will carve a slightly larger groove, which may help if the boards
expand due to humidity changing.

Or something like that.

I'll order a box tonight!

[g]

floorboard sanding RobertL UK diy 11 August 6th 09 11:27 PM
Removing a floorboard Miles UK diy 15 March 9th 09 09:55 PM
Floorboard removing Vass UK diy 5 February 4th 06 03:32 AM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 07:29 AM
floorboard work urchaidh UK diy 10 July 11th 05 07:58 PM