Most reliable combi boiler 2011

Old March 11th 11, 10:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Most reliable combi boiler 2011

OK, this changes from time to time I guess.
I may be getting a new combi boiler , about 30kW.
Up to a 1000 quids.
What is the most reliable boiler around at the moment for that spec ?
I.e. one that has the vaguest hope of lasting 10 years (I know its
ridiculous !)
Gas chap recommends Vaillant ...
Cheers,
Simon.
Old March 11th 11, 11:45 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:10:53 -0800, sm_jamieson wrote:

OK, this changes from time to time I guess. I may be getting a new combi
boiler , about 30kW. Up to a 1000 quids.
What is the most reliable boiler around at the moment for that spec ?
I.e. one that has the vaguest hope of lasting 10 years (I know its
ridiculous !)

What's ridiculous about a mere 10 years? The only crop of the recent
generation of boilers that I wouldn't expect to last that long are
Ideal's horribly unreliable and expensive to repair POSes. (I've taken
one out recently.)

The Worcester-Bosch Greenstars I've been putting in over the last 5 years
or so seem to be plodding along OK. What'll be interesting is to see
which designs are making it to the 20 year mark.

--
John Stumbles

Old March 11th 11, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:10:53 -0800, sm_jamieson wrote:

OK, this changes from time to time I guess. I may be getting a new
combi boiler , about 30kW. Up to a 1000 quids.
What is the most reliable boiler around at the moment for that spec ?
I.e. one that has the vaguest hope of lasting 10 years (I know its
ridiculous !)

What's ridiculous about a mere 10 years? The only crop of the recent
generation of boilers that I wouldn't expect to last that long are
Ideal's horribly unreliable and expensive to repair POSes. (I've taken
one out recently.)

The Worcester-Bosch Greenstars I've been putting in over the last 5
years or so seem to be plodding along OK.

That's good news. I had a WB Greenstar 30 CDi put in three years ago. No
problems so far, touch wood (apart from condensate pipe freezing this
winter).

Mind you, the Baxi conventional boiler that the Greenstar replaced was 31
years old and still going strong when replaced...

--
Triff

Old March 11th 11, 12:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Triffid wrote:

Mind you, the Baxi conventional boiler that the Greenstar replaced was
31 years old and still going strong when replaced...

Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs of a
cast iron block against three combis over the same period.
Old March 11th 11, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
Mind you, the Baxi conventional boiler that the Greenstar replaced was
31 years old and still going strong when replaced...

Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs of a
cast iron block against three combis over the same period.

Not like for like. Compare it to a non combi condensing boiler.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 11th 11, 02:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs of a
cast iron block against three combis over the same period.

Not like for like. Compare it to a non combi condensing boiler.

That's fine and will be my choice, but it's not what most people are
sold and the combis are sold on the grounds of savings and I'd like to
see an honest comparison.
Old March 11th 11, 02:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Cap wrote:
Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs of
a cast iron block against three combis over the same period.

Not like for like. Compare it to a non combi condensing boiler.

That's fine and will be my choice, but it's not what most people are
sold and the combis are sold on the grounds of savings and I'd like to
see an honest comparison.

Would actually cost more if you have an existing storage system. New
install different.

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Old March 11th 11, 02:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2011 09:10, sm_jamieson wrote:
OK, this changes from time to time I guess.
I may be getting a new combi boiler , about 30kW.
Up to a 1000 quids.
What is the most reliable boiler around at the moment for that spec ?
I.e. one that has the vaguest hope of lasting 10 years (I know its
ridiculous !)
Gas chap recommends Vaillant ...
Cheers,
Simon.

I had an Atmos HE32 (Daventry) installed approx 2yrs ago, excellent
boiler and no problems so far. Viesman (Telford) also has a very good
reputation.
Don
Old March 11th 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Now that's the comparison I'd like to see. The total running costs
of a cast iron block against three combis over the same period.

Not like for like. Compare it to a non combi condensing boiler.

That's fine and will be my choice, but it's not what most people are
sold and the combis are sold on the grounds of savings and I'd like to
see an honest comparison.

Our gas consumption has dropped significantly since replacing the 31 year
old Baxi conventional with the WB Greenstar condensing combi.

Clearly, only heating the hot water that you actually need, rather than
heating a whole tankful of water 'just in case' you might need it, is a
considerable saving.

We have also found that the radiators heat up far more rapidly when the
heating kicks in first thing in the morning. This is because, of course, all
the efforts of the boiler are put into heating the radiators, rather than
also heating up a large tankful of hot water as well.

It's not all positive, of course, it takes a bit longer to fill the bath
(although the shower, fed straight from the boiler, is perfect). There will
be no stored hot water if the boiler packs up.

I was 'nervous' about switching from a conventional system to a combi - but
actually have no regrets whatsoever now we've done it.

--
Triff.

Old March 11th 11, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 9:10*am, sm_jamieson wrote:
OK, this changes from time to time I guess.
I may be getting a new combi boiler , about 30kW.
Up to a 1000 quids.
What is the most reliable boiler around at the moment for that spec ?
I.e. one that has the vaguest hope of lasting 10 years (I know its
ridiculous !)
Gas chap recommends Vaillant ...
Cheers,
Simon.

Don't bother with a combi. They are ****e of the devil. Put in a
conventional system ie with roof tanks and the HW storage tank (well
lagged). There's such a thing as too much technology. You will still
have to have a condensing boiler. It will cost you more but there
will be far less trouble and expense with repairs and spare parts.
This also means you can install a solar hot water roof panel which you
can't with a combi. Also your bath will fill quickly.