Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car Port

Has anyone put up a car port?

I am thinking of one of those you see advertised in the magazines made by
Norfolk . Comes in sections and is plastic.
a) Is it very hard to do? ( we have a bungalow so it would have to be
attached to the fascia under the roof)

b) does it need planning permission?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 14:37, sweetheart wrote:
Has anyone put up a car port?

I am thinking of one of those you see advertised in the magazines made
by Norfolk . Comes in sections and is plastic.
a) Is it very hard to do? ( we have a bungalow so it would have to be
attached to the fascia under the roof)

b) does it need planning permission?

Thanks.

Do you mean the sort that is cantilevered off the wall, with no ground
support?

They need to be fixed to 4 or 5 courses of good solid brickwork (not a
fascia) - so it's doubtful whether you'd have enough headroom with most
bungalows, unless it's fixed to an end gable. Even then, I think I'd be
worried about what would happen when it blows a gale.

Who would be fitting it - you or your energetic husband?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/03/2011 14:37, sweetheart wrote:
Has anyone put up a car port?

Do you mean the sort that is cantilevered off the wall, with no ground
support?

Well, it looked to me from the picture as if it had a set of uprights on
thefar side and was fixed to the wall on the other. rather than being
catelevered but I am not sure, not having seen more than a picture in Garden
News.

They need to be fixed to 4 or 5 courses of good solid brickwork (not a
fascia) - so it's doubtful whether you'd have enough headroom with most
bungalows, unless it's fixed to an end gable. Even then, I think I'd be
worried about what would happen when it blows a gale.

Who would be fitting it - you or your energetic husband?

My husband . I want a place to keep the rain off my car ( and me) and we
have enough room down the side of the house if we move a small shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 17:26, sweetheart wrote:

[...]

Is this the sort of thing?
http://www.norfolk-windows.co.uk/carports.htm
[Some of these appear to have legs, but many don't.]

Incidentally, I imagine that the supplier would normally fit them rather
than just supplying the bits for DIY installation. It looks like the
sort of job which is much easier when you've got a team of several
people who all know what they're doing!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/03/2011 17:26, sweetheart wrote:

Is this the sort of thing?
http://www.norfolk-windows.co.uk/carports.htm
[Some of these appear to have legs, but many don't.]

Incidentally, I imagine that the supplier would normally fit them rather
than just supplying the bits for DIY installation. It looks like the sort
of job which is much easier when you've got a team of several people who
all know what they're doing!

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk...y-Carports.php

Its this one. They don't fit. They only supply. They also do a porch they
advertise a lot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

I think the OP is probably on about these, as they advertise in the
gardening press a lot (note to OP).

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/shop/buy-Carports.php

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2011 18:51, sweetheart wrote:

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk...y-Carports.php

Its this one. They don't fit. They only supply. They also do a porch
they advertise a lot

Yes, I see. Well, that one has definitely got legs and is not cantilevered.

Why not ask them to email you a set of installation instructions so that
can see what's involved?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/03/2011 14:37, sweetheart wrote:
Has anyone put up a car port?

I am thinking of one of those you see advertised in the magazines made
by Norfolk . Comes in sections and is plastic.
a) Is it very hard to do? ( we have a bungalow so it would have to be
attached to the fascia under the roof)

b) does it need planning permission?

Thanks.

Do you mean the sort that is cantilevered off the wall, with no ground
support?

They need to be fixed to 4 or 5 courses of good solid brickwork (not a
fascia) - so it's doubtful whether you'd have enough headroom with most
bungalows, unless it's fixed to an end gable. Even then, I think I'd be
worried about what would happen when it blows a gale.

There's one of those on my bungalow, attached to the gable end.

I saw the invoice for it, about £2200 for 26' feet of it (around ten years
ago).

Never worried about it blowing away. Recently I briefly thought about taking
it down temporarily for access for cavity wall insulation, until I went
outside and had a closer look; it's pretty solid!

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "sweetheart"
says...
My husband . I want a place to keep the rain off my car ( and me) and we
have enough room down the side of the house if we move a small shed.

If you've only a small shed, the first thing he'll want to do is
colonise the car port.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
In article , "sweetheart"
says...
My husband . I want a place to keep the rain off my car ( and me) and we
have enough room down the side of the house if we move a small shed.

If you've only a small shed, the first thing he'll want to do is
colonise the car port.

Dont tell me about it. One of the reasons ( aside of its damp and needs
moving) I want to loose the shed is he has colonised it with loads of
rubbish ( you must know the kind - I throw out a useless vaccuum cleaner or
lawnmower that doesnt work and he retrieves them and puts them in there.
Its mostly used to put recyling bags in at the moment.

It also stops me being able to cut the hedge behind it and that grows until
it takes all the light from the house.

But he does have a 12ft square summer house and a 6ft by 8ft shed in the
back garden , as well as a brick built out house as a workshop ( not as he
does anything workshopie. It stores tools. Its lockable). So he rally does
not need this little store. I could easily have one of those outside
cubboards ( stores) to put the recycling in until its collected. he even has
my potting shed .

A car port would give me somewhere to keep the car and would keep the
outside of the house there dry.
Thanks for pointing the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/03/2011 18:51, sweetheart wrote:

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk...y-Carports.php

Its this one. They don't fit. They only supply. They also do a porch
they advertise a lot

Yes, I see. Well, that one has definitely got legs and is not
cantilevered.

Why not ask them to email you a set of installation instructions so that
can see what's involved?

I hadnt thought I could do that. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "sweetheart"
says...
A car port would give me somewhere to keep the car

No - it won't!