Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting tile adhesive off a plaster wall

I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 10:36, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

The hd scraper can be pretty effective for that sort of thing. It's the
impact rather than the amount of pressure, so a tap with a hammer often
helps.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/...y-Duty-Scraper

Nitromors should work in principle since it will dissolve the resin that
holds the adhesive together, but it might take an awful lot of it to eat
through ridges of the stuff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? *The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. *Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

No, plaster over it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? *The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. *Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

You can get tile adhesive off old tiles by soaking them in water and
scraping. It might be possible to sponge it and let the water soak
into the adhesive and then scrape it off.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Keefiedee writes:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

It will depend how modern a tile adhesive it is. There's pretty much
no chance to get modern adhesive off as it's much stronger and more
resilient than plaster, so the plaster will break away. Very old tile
adhesives were not as strong, but mostly they were still stronger
than the plaster. You will probably need to reskim (unless you are
tiling again, in which case small bits of missing plaster won't
matter, although large areas might).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

It simply is not worth even trying.

Hack it off as best you can (or leave it) and re-skim.

TIA

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

What resin wiould that be?

Most wall tile adhesives are cement or gypsum based.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
On Feb 25, 10:36 am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

You can get tile adhesive off old tiles by soaking them in water and
scraping. It might be possible to sponge it and let the water soak
into the adhesive and then scrape it off.

Only some cements are water soluble.

Many are not.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 12:40 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

You can get tile adhesive off old tiles by soaking them in water and
scraping. It might be possible to sponge it and let the water soak
into the adhesive and then scrape it off.

Only some cements are water soluble.

Many are not.

so worth a try then...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall?

Depends on the adhesive. Old adhesives are fairly water soluble,
sufficient that you can soften them with a wet sponge and scrape.

More modern adhesives are often somewhat water resistant (and these
won't soak off old tiles either, unless you use weak acid). These need
to be shifted mechanically. Tile setter's abrasive mesh is quite good,
but you need to make a wooden sanding block for it. Also a "brick
stone", a coarse abrasive block with teeth cut across its face. Your
problem here is that the plaster substrate is softer than the tile
adhesive.

Try soaking. Most tile adhesive is still usefully water soluble (it's
the grouts that are really waterproof).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 10:36*am, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? *The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. *Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

If it's very hard, 4"/100mm angle grinder. VERY messy business and
the finish you get depends on how careful you are. The diamond coated
ones work best as they don't choke up. Only suitable for smallish
areas, takes forever on big areas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Whatever resin it is that binds the aggregates

Most wall tile adhesives are cement or gypsum based.

I think most of the pre-mixed products are based on microspheres but,
whatever the aggregate, it still needs a binder of some kind or it ain't
an adhesive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I think you are talking rubbish.

Whether cement and sand is an adhesive or not, its perfectly capable of
sticking bricks together and tiles to plaster.

I've seen all sorts of adhesive, from essentially polyfilla type water
soluble junk, through waterproof acrylic style glues plus filler, right
up to real chemical set cements. And even I suspect epoxies.

Decent grouts are usually some form of cement base.

Only the polyfilla style rubbish is really soluble. Polymer style stuff
acrylics mainly - soften but don't dissolve. cement and epoxies bases
stuff dont even soften.

AND enough water to dissolve the glues that do, will play merry hell if
there is plasterboard, not brick, behind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2011 11:05, stuart noble wrote:
On 25/02/2011 10:36, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

The hd scraper can be pretty effective for that sort of thing. It's the
impact rather than the amount of pressure, so a tap with a hammer often
helps.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16530/...y-Duty-Scraper

The 6" one is a better bet, thicker blade & longer handle - requires
elbow grease & plenty of spare blades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I'll try that method next time I'm doing some overhead tiling in a
window reveal, and we'll see how good an adhesive it is

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 12:20*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Keefiedee writes:

[...]

If you are tiling again, if you're using a cement based tile adhesive
(i.e. powder in a bag, add water - not ready mixed in a tub) then it's
never going to come off cleanly next time either. This means, if you
have a plasterboard wall, you might as well just put new plasterboard
up and tile straight onto that. Skimming it, just to tile over it,
buys you nothing.

YMMV. But for a DIY-er, putting up plasterboard is a lot easier and
quicker than putting up plasterboard _and_ skimming over the top. One
argument for skimming is that tiles could never come cleanly of
plasterboard so next time you'd have to re-board. Guess what? You
probably will anyway even if you _do_ skim it! ;-)

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 25, 2011 at 10:36:56 AM UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

A sharp, wide chisel worker for me getting old tile cement off plaster wall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 25, 2011 at 10:36:56 AM UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

A sharp, wide chisel worker for me getting old tile cement off plaster
wall.

Scraper blade in multi tool worked well for me.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 12:10:22 UTC+1, wrote:
On Friday, February 25, 2011 at 10:36:56 AM UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
I suspect the answer is no, but is there an easy (ish) way to get tile
adhesive off a plaster wall? The tiles were removed in a bathroom
rearrangement before we bought the house, and it would not be
appropriate to re-tile over the same area.

I have tried a steamer, and an orbital sander with coarse paper, but
am wondering about using Nitromors. Can't think of anything else - so
am becoming resigned to a long job, but this group often surprises me
with answers I've never thought of, so any ideas?

TIA

Keith

A sharp, wide chisel worker for me getting old tile cement off plaster wall.

Maybe that'll finally spur Keith into action after 4 years 5 months

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 July 2015 12:47:48 UTC+1, wrote:
Maybe that'll finally spur Keith into action after 4 years 5 months

I'm still waiting for my father to finish the bookshelves he started when I was five.

That was a few decades ago though.

Owain

Plaster tile adhesive NT[_2_] UK diy 4 August 24th 09 09:46 AM
Removing wall tile adhesive geraldthehamster UK diy 12 February 29th 08 10:16 AM
Wall tile adhesive. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 15 February 4th 08 08:27 PM
Wall Tile Adhesive Jack UK diy 4 January 9th 08 01:21 AM
wall tile adhesive for floor tiles? [email protected] UK diy 6 August 2nd 05 01:17 PM