Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to kill green stuff on exterior walls prior to painting?

Hi again,

On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some areas
that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green stuff, mainly
where the wall is damp due to a leaking gutter which will be fixed shortly.
The green stuff is extremely thin. What is a cheap, effective, easy way to
kill or remove this, prior to painting with exterior emulsion?

Would household bleach work? It seems to work well on interior mildew.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 8:35*am, "AL_n" wrote:
Hi again,

On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some areas
that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green stuff, mainly
where the wall is damp due to a leaking gutter which will be fixed shortly.
The green stuff is extremely thin. What is a cheap, effective, easy way to
kill or remove this, prior to painting with exterior emulsion?

Would household bleach work? It seems to work well on interior mildew.

Al

You'll need to get it off for the paint to stick properly. A tiny bit
of copper powder in the paint prevents its recurrence. Tiny because
the copper is toxic, and turns green or brown in time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
Hi again,

On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some
areas that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green
stuff, mainly where the wall is damp due to a leaking gutter which
will be fixed shortly. The green stuff is extremely thin. What is a
cheap, effective, easy way to kill or remove this, prior to painting
with exterior emulsion?

Pressure washer.

I'll do that, thanks. I'd still like to make sure that every cell of green
stuff is killed though, before I apply paint.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2011 13:09, AL_n wrote:
The Natural wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
Hi again,

On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some
areas that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green
stuff, mainly where the wall is damp due to a leaking gutter which
will be fixed shortly. The green stuff is extremely thin. What is a
cheap, effective, easy way to kill or remove this, prior to painting
with exterior emulsion?

Pressure washer.

I'll do that, thanks. I'd still like to make sure that every cell of green
stuff is killed though, before I apply paint.

Al

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...idal_spray.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 1:07*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Tabby wrote in news:f4896aff-fb84-46b3-af19-
:

You'll need to get it off for the paint to stick properly. A tiny bit
of copper powder in the paint prevents its recurrence. Tiny because
the copper is toxic, and turns green or brown in time.

Thanks. Doesn't that discolour the paint, though?

Al

If you use too much it does. It really only needs teh tiniest amount.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-02-20, The Medway wrote:
On 20/02/2011 13:09, AL_n wrote:
The Natural wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
Hi again,

On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some
areas that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green
stuff, mainly where the wall is damp due to a leaking gutter which
will be fixed shortly. The green stuff is extremely thin. What is a
cheap, effective, easy way to kill or remove this, prior to painting
with exterior emulsion?

Pressure washer.

I'll do that, thanks. I'd still like to make sure that every cell of green
stuff is killed though, before I apply paint.

Al

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/p...idal_spray.jsp

I'd wager it's bleach.

Nope. BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Hi again,

On the painted exterior rendered walls of my house there are some
areas that have become coated with a typical very fine layer green
stuff, mainly where the wall is damp due to a leaking gutter which
will be fixed shortly. The green stuff is extremely thin. What is a
cheap, effective, easy way to kill or remove this, prior to painting
with exterior emulsion?

Pressure washer.

I'll do that, thanks. I'd still like to make sure that every cell of green
stuff is killed though, before I apply paint.

I painted over tons of it. It stays dead under paint. No light probably.

pressure wash then water based exterior paint. take at least a year for
it to start growing again..

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john reeves" wrote in
:

Try brushing one part bleach to six parts water. Its what they use to
wash off 'growers' on grave stones.

Thankd=s for the tip. Bleach certainly seems to work well for mildew.
Having said that, the last time I killed some inderior mildew with bleach,
some other form of growth took over. It looked like white fluff! When I saw
that, I thought "Ah, that stuff must LOVE alkalinity!! So I doused the wall
with vinegar! No more white fluff, to date...

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in
:

wash off 'growers' on grave stones.

Thankd=s for the tip. Bleach certainly seems to work well for mildew.
Having said that, the last time I killed some inderior mildew with
bleach, some other form of growth took over. It looked like white
fluff! When I saw that, I thought "Ah, that stuff must LOVE
alkalinity!! So I doused the wall with vinegar! No more white fluff,
to date...

PS.. I tell a lie. I just had a look and the white fluff is back with a
vengeance! I notice it is completely odourless, so perhaps it's not
vegetable matter at all, but rather some kind of mineral crystalline
growth.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in
:

wash off 'growers' on grave stones.

Thankd=s for the tip. Bleach certainly seems to work well for mildew.
Having said that, the last time I killed some inderior mildew with
bleach, some other form of growth took over. It looked like white
fluff! When I saw that, I thought "Ah, that stuff must LOVE
alkalinity!! So I doused the wall with vinegar! No more white fluff,
to date...

PS.. I tell a lie. I just had a look and the white fluff is back with a
vengeance! I notice it is completely odourless, so perhaps it's not
vegetable matter at all, but rather some kind of mineral crystalline
growth.

Google efflorescence.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:ik00pp$7d8$2
@news.albasani.net:

Google efflorescence.

That's it! Thanks...