Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing broken screws from concrete ...

While dismantling my spare loo to fit a combined waste/soil pipe (see
posts passim !) I broke the screws I used to fit the loo and wooden
paneling to the floor. Luckily I was able to unscrew two diagonally
opposed screws on the loo, so I redrilled and used 2 no.6 bolts with
10mm heavy duty rawlplugs.

Unfortunately I couldn't do anything with the 5 others that broke, so
redrilled some holes about 3cm from them, and refitted the brackets.

I pity the poor sod who tries to drill holes where the broken screws
are - although I suspect that when it needs maintenance or
refurbishing, the poor sod will be me.

I did have the bright idea of trying to blast the screw/rawlplug
combination with a blowtorch, in the vain hope the plastic would melt,
and I could pull the whole assembly out. However, I suspect that
because the concrete acts as a sodding big heatsink, the heat wasn't
doing much - I certainly couldn't move anything.

Trying to drill the broken screws out was an abject failure - the
drill slipped, went between the screw and rawlplug, and promptly
broke. So now one of the screws has some HSS to add to the fun ;-)

What would people here do ? Or is the only guranteed answer to smash
the concrete to pieces, and relay where needed ?

Had a similar thing in the bathroom last year, but that's a wooden
floor, and it was easier to get some small mole grips on, and ease the
stump out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/02/2011 20:39, Jethro wrote:

I pity the poor sod who tries to drill holes where the broken screws
are - although I suspect that when it needs maintenance or
refurbishing, the poor sod will be me.

[...]

What would people here do ? Or is the only guranteed answer to smash
the concrete to pieces, and relay where needed ?

Assuming the broken screws are flush with the surface[1] and not causing
anyone any harm, then I'd leave them the hell alone! If and when they
ever do really need to come out, then worry about it at then - with luck
it will never happen. (Read the current thread where loads of folk have
successfully attached their lavvies to the floor with just silicone)

David

[1] If not, then you've guessed it - ANGLE GRINDER time!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 14/02/2011 20:39, Jethro wrote:

I pity the poor sod who tries to drill holes where the broken screws
are - although I suspect that when it needs maintenance or
refurbishing, the poor sod will be me.

[...]

What would people here do ? Or is the only guranteed answer to smash
the concrete to pieces, and relay where needed ?

Assuming the broken screws are flush with the surface[1] and not causing
anyone any harm, then I'd leave them the hell alone!

I agree 100%.

One time I absolutely had to remove a coach screw that was sheared off level
with a concrete post I used the old engineers trick of puddle welding a
square of steel to the stub and using it like a new head. In theory the same
trick would work with steel screws in a concrete floor.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 14, 8:39*pm, Jethro wrote:
[...]

Easiest is just to angle grind them off below the surface. If you want
holes in the same place, thus must get them out, I'd try tapping them
sideays in all directions, hoping it may break up the cement round
them. Or the blowtorch, but putting a heatproof mat down on the
screed.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Damaged_Screw

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you can get mole grips on, then use them to unscrew rather than pull
or lever.

broken screws RR Home Repair 2 February 25th 08 03:10 PM
broken steel screws in aluminum casting - the nitric acid Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 December 15th 05 01:17 AM
broken steel screws in aluminum casting - the experiment Grant Erwin Metalworking 11 December 12th 05 01:20 AM
Removing broken screws and other things brush-head UK diy 6 March 13th 05 02:48 AM
Concrete over broken concrete slab? Zen Cohen Home Repair 1 September 3rd 03 12:33 PM