how to clean a very dusty wicker basket?

Old February 7th 11, 08:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to clean a very dusty wicker basket?

What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has accumulated
several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm water with some washing
powder in, will it disintegrate? It's in good condition; it's just
very dusty.

Thanks!

Michael
Old February 7th 11, 10:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM

In article
,
wrote:
What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has
accumulated several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm
water with some washing powder in, will it disintegrate?

Well, they're made by soaking the wicker, or even steaming
it to make it flexible
It's in good condition; it's just very dusty.

I'd be tempted to give it a squirt with a hose

Thanks!

Michael

John

--
John Mulrooney

Love is for sharing.
Old February 7th 11, 10:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has accumulated
several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm water with some washing
powder in, will it disintegrate? It's in good condition; it's just
very dusty.

Thanks!

Michael

A fiver in any cheap shop.

Old February 8th 11, 12:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:29*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

A fiver in any cheap shop.

Wicker, not rattan.

I can't find a wicker basket for under 30
Old February 8th 11, 12:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 8:56*pm, wrote:
What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has accumulated
several years of dust?

Get in the shower with it. Nailbrush if anything is really murky.

Dry it off well afterwards, but don't heat it.
Old February 8th 11, 09:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JTM writes
In article
,
wrote:
What's the best way to clean a wicker basket that has
accumulated several years of dust? If I dunk it in warm
water with some washing powder in, will it disintegrate?

Well, they're made by soaking the wicker, or even steaming
it to make it flexible
It's in good condition; it's just very dusty.

I'd be tempted to give it a squirt with a hose

So would I. I'd first get as much dust off as possible by simultaneously
brushing and sucking with a vacuum cleaner pipe (using a paint brush for
the nooks and crannies), and then give it a brisk hosing. It probably
won't harm it at all.
--
Ian

Old February 8th 11, 07:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2011 12:54, Lino expert wrote:

Angle grinder.

That's just so last year. This cries out for a pressure washer!

Andy
--
Of course a pressure washer might be a little keen, so try on a
non-visible area first...

Dusty road John Reber Home Repair 15 September 17th 07 03:09 PM
Dusty wet / dry vacuum john Woodworking 11 December 2nd 06 01:53 AM
Washing machine basket rust - possible to fix, or buy new basket? bryanska Home Repair 12 August 1st 06 02:13 AM
Paint for wicker basket? [email protected] Home Repair 0 December 12th 05 07:13 PM
CUSHIONS FOR WICKER CHAIR FURNITURE J T Woodworking 0 March 5th 05 09:17 AM