Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of building Porch

Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the level
of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials etc,
that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what
would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john reeves wrote:
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the level
of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials etc,
that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what
would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

What purpose does that porch serve, what use does that space
serve,except for a few minutes on a rainy day.
too small for a study, sewing room,or bedroom, expensive waste of space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz ) wibbled on Tuesday 08 February 2011 12:03:

john reeves wrote:
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the
level of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials
etc, that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not
what would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

What purpose does that porch serve, what use does that space
serve,except for a few minutes on a rainy day.
too small for a study, sewing room,or bedroom, expensive waste of space.

Frees up other space that is otherwise filled with boots and coats.

Good place to remove muddly footware and keep the house clean.

Somewhere for the deilvery bloke to leave a package without it getting
rained on.

I could go on...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john reeves wrote:
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the level
of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials etc,
that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what
would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

Probably reasonable, but you can get a better porch than that for £6,700

One wonders about the disability access, too..;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2011 12:03, F Murtz wrote:
john reeves wrote:
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the
level
of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials
etc,
that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what
would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

What purpose does that porch serve, what use does that space
serve,except for a few minutes on a rainy day.
too small for a study, sewing room,or bedroom, expensive waste of space.

Boots, coats, an extra door between the house and the outside.

Ours (more expensive, a bit larger, quite a lot different in
construction and hence nicer) means the kitchen no longer directly opens
to the outside world. (yes, the kitchen is the first room people come to).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Feb, 10:53, "john reeves" wrote:
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the level
of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials etc,
that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what
would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

I'm sure you could pay a builder that much to contruct something like
that, bearing in mind that a lot of the money will go on paying him to
turn up, sit in his van and read the Daily Mirror.

I'm planning on building a porch of similar size myself this summer,
so I'll cost that as I do it. Without the crappy plastic, obviously.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster ) wibbled on Tuesday 08 February 2011
15:43:

[...]

Double glazing panels are not hugely expensive by the metre - toughened
single layer glass less so, so if one has the time, you could make the porch
window frames yourself and manually glaze.

Some porches are made entirely out of timber bar the base.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john reeves" wrote in message
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the
level of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

We got a rear door with similar security and large window fitted for £700.
So not sure where he is buying from!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john reeves" wrote in message
Passed by this front porch being built nearby and thought i might try to
build one myself. Its built on a concrete base that comes to near the
level of the front door.

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

My son is always telling me I'm 40 years behind when i put a price on
things, so i'm thinking with such high cost of the door and materials etc,
that £6,700 might be a reasonable price for such a porch? Or if not what
would be a reasonable price to pay for such a build these days?

I think the builder was taking the p*ss. There is no way a construction
like that could cost £6,700! You can pick up a DG UPC front door for less
than £400 http://tiny.cc/5rmz1 and the windows would cost less. If you
were to use single glazed door and windows it would be even less. Do you
really need double glazing on a porch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 8, 5:18*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Tim Watts- Hide quoted text -

I'm going to do it in timber, apart from a couple of rows of bricks up
to the level of the house damp course. I'll get some suitable windows
and a door from eBay, probably. Maybe something with stained glass.
Unfortunately it will need to be flat roofed, as I have no space
between the top of the existing doorway and the bungalow fascia, and
have no desire to start interfering with the existing roof.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...

"john reeves" wrote in message

http://tinypic.com/r/2yzkkjt/7

On speaking to the builder I asked what he would charge to build one, he
said £6,700. He said the door alone cost £700.

I think the builder was taking the p*ss. There is no way a construction
like that could cost £6,700! You can pick up a DG UPC front door for less
than £400 http://tiny.cc/5rmz1 and the windows would cost less. If you
were to use single glazed door and windows it would be even less. Do you
really need double glazing on a porch?

That's what I thought. If it's not heated, and the main door is already
double-glazed, then any sort of door will do. The same goes for the windows.

And would the outer door be locked? If not, and the inner door is the main
one, it could be even cheaper.

--
Bartc

porch: building one Sam UK diy 1 November 19th 07 12:05 PM
Cost of having a 3 season porch built in the Portsmouth, NH region? jtpr Home Repair 3 July 20th 06 09:46 PM
building regs for porch [email protected] UK diy 11 January 16th 06 11:14 AM
Building a porch Geo Woodworking 1 September 16th 05 04:19 PM
Porch building, rebuilding Doug Home Repair 5 September 14th 05 07:28 AM