Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cost of LPG gas comparison

On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard
piped gas.

For example if my current gas bill for the year is £700 (piped gas mains)
What would an equivelent in LPG cost.

Anyone got a general idea?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote:
On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard
piped gas.

For example if my current gas bill for the year is £700 (piped gas mains)
What would an equivelent in LPG cost.

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

So it would cost you £1400 if you used LPG or £1200 if you used heating
oil.

Anyone got a general idea?

Yup. Stick with what you have.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
"SS" wrote:
On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard
piped gas.

For example if my current gas bill for the year is £700 (piped gas mains)
What would an equivelent in LPG cost.

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

So it would cost you £1400 if you used LPG or £1200 if you used heating
oil.

Anyone got a general idea?

Yup. Stick with what you have.

Thanks for the reply.
I have sold my house and looking for one to buy, a couple of good ones came
up but were using LPG
I guess I better factor that cost in, although I might just steer clear of
them. (unless they are cheap enough)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 5, 11:16*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

In my experience when LPG does up it tends to stay up. That's why I've
bought a wood burning stove...

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:29:29 -0800, geraldthehamster wrote:

On Feb 5, 11:16Â*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

In my experience when LPG does up it tends to stay up. That's why I've
bought a wood burning stove...

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for the
heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or not?

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per kWh, so
it's significantly more expensive to heat via propane.

I'd quite like a woodburning setup here too for the house, but they're
ridiculously expensive for what they are. I do have an ancient home-built
one in the basement with a split seam - I'll weld that up and install it
in the garage or workshop this year, I think.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

In my experience when LPG does up it tends to stay up. That's why I've
bought a wood burning stove...

LPG usually goes up at the start of the heating season, ie, winter, then
comes down again in spring, although it probably doesn't come down as much
as it should. I have no experience of using LPG for heating/cooking but my
car runs on LPG. Someone from www.lpgforum.co.uk posted this link recently
which shows that it is indeed on its way down again
http://quotes.ino.com/chart/index.ht...&t=&a=&w=&v+d3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:38:49 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per kWh, so
it's significantly more expensive to heat via propane.

And both a damn sight cheaper than here. There are about 2 NZD to the
GBP so your propane is about 5p/kwhr and lecky 2.5p/kwhr. Is that
lecky some for of cheap rate (off peak) tarrif or what you pay for
all your electricity?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for the
heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or not?

Autogas just dropped 7p/litre here so yes, it's seasonal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Sorcerer" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for
the heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or
not?

Autogas just dropped 7p/litre here so yes, it's seasonal.

Do you want a dog biscuit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:48:46 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:38:49 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per kWh, so
it's significantly more expensive to heat via propane.

And both a damn sight cheaper than here. There are about 2 NZD to the
GBP so your propane is about 5p/kwhr and lecky 2.5p/kwhr. Is that lecky
some for of cheap rate (off peak) tarrif or what you pay for all your
electricity?

I'm in the US, not NZ - so I think that's about 6.1p/kWH for propane and
2.7p/kWH for 'leccy. The electric for the baseboards is load-controlled,
so gets switched off remotely by the power company at peak periods
(leaving the propane furnace* to pick up the slack). I think we're on
around 8 cents/kWH for "normal" supply, so about 4.9p.

* typical US forced-air setup with bulky ductwork that blows dust all
over the place and creates a lovely freezing-cold breeze in various parts
of the house. CH boilers and rads are expensive this side of the
Atlantic, though :-(

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
"Sorcerer" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for
the heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or
not?

Autogas just dropped 7p/litre here so yes, it's seasonal.

Which is exactly what I said 4 hours ago :-)

Do you want a dog biscuit?

No, it just proves what I've always thought about you - superfluous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorcerer wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
"Sorcerer" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for
the heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or
not?

Autogas just dropped 7p/litre here so yes, it's seasonal.

Which is exactly what I said 4 hours ago :-)

Do you want a dog biscuit?

No, it just proves what I've always thought about you - superfluous.

Perhaps you can identify the post in which you stated that the price of
Autogas has dropped 7p recently?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:51:22 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:48:46 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for

propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per

kWh,

I'm in the US, not NZ

Oops WTF is in NZ? Ah "Matty F"...

- so I think that's about 6.1p/kWH for propane and 2.7p/kWH for 'leccy.

Still considerably cheaper than over here. Good 'ole "Rip Off
Britain". The cheapest of the off peak rates aren't far short of
double your electric rate. Standard rate cheapest is more like
8p/kwhr.

The electric for the baseboards is load-controlled, so gets switched off
remotely by the power company at peak periods

So a variable off peak rate, is there a guranteed minimum number of
hours/day that you will get supply for or can they switch it off for
days at a time?

Those sort of tarrifs might start to appear when "smart" meters have
become more common. Isn't the roll out of those supposed to have been
completed by now according to the annoucement made by HMG a year or
so back?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Jules- Hide quoted text -

To be honest I've no idea what my local supplier of combustible gases
does to their prices over the summer, as we never have to get
replacement bottles between March and October. In the past three
years, the price in October has usually been the same as it had been
in March... I'm about to order some more so I'll see if the price has
changed. I'll be surprised.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Richard- Hide quoted text -

I've just ordered more from my supplier, and any recent fall in the
Euro price of propane hasn't filtered through to them yet...

The higher prices are no benefit to them, because their profit margin
stays the same and people like me just order less.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:53:36 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 20:51:22 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:48:46 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for

propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per

kWh,

I'm in the US, not NZ

Oops WTF is in NZ? Ah "Matty F"...

yup! :-)

- so I think that's about 6.1p/kWH for propane and 2.7p/kWH for 'leccy.

Still considerably cheaper than over here. Good 'ole "Rip Off Britain".
The cheapest of the off peak rates aren't far short of double your
electric rate. Standard rate cheapest is more like 8p/kwhr.

Yes, but you have to factor in average salary, I think, to make a fair
comparison - as a proportion of typical income, I think it'll still be
cheaper, but perhaps not *that* much cheaper.

The electric for the baseboards is load-controlled, so gets switched
off remotely by the power company at peak periods

So a variable off peak rate, is there a guranteed minimum number of
hours/day that you will get supply for or can they switch it off for
days at a time?

I just checked; it doesn't seem to say for baseboard/UFH heat - in
practice I've never known it go off for longer than a six hour stretch at
a time, and it's not been off at all in the past two days. For other
devices that they allow on the load-control lines (such as water heaters,
dryers etc.) they commit to them not being off for more than 8 hours
during the day and never for a period of more than 4 hours at a time
(whatever "day" might be defined as :-)

Those sort of tarrifs might start to appear when "smart" meters have
become more common.

I don't think there's any intelligence at all in our meters (we have two,
one which shows total use and one which shows use just on the load-
controlled side). All of the switching is done by a control box and a box
of relays in the basement, and there's a seperate panel (umm, consumer
unit if they're still called that in the UK :-) for connections to the
load-controlled devices.

Wiring must be along the lines of:

power ---(M)--+------------[P]---- 'normal' devices
from |
street +--(M)---+---[P]---- load-controlled devices
| |
[C]--[R]

(where 'M' is a meter, 'C' is the control unit, 'R' the relays, and 'P'
the breaker panels)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

Sorcerer wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:
"Sorcerer" wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for
the heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or
not?

Autogas just dropped 7p/litre here so yes, it's seasonal.

Which is exactly what I said 4 hours ago :-)

Do you want a dog biscuit?

No, it just proves what I've always thought about you - superfluous.

Perhaps you can identify the post in which you stated that the price of
Autogas has dropped 7p recently?

tumbleweed

Time passed... slowly.