cost of LPG gas comparison

Old February 5th 11, 06:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cost of LPG gas comparison

On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard
piped gas.

For example if my current gas bill for the year is 700 (piped gas mains)
What would an equivelent in LPG cost.

Anyone got a general idea?

thanks

Old February 5th 11, 07:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote:
On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard
piped gas.

For example if my current gas bill for the year is £700 (piped gas mains)
What would an equivelent in LPG cost.

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

So it would cost you £1400 if you used LPG or £1200 if you used heating
oil.

Anyone got a general idea?

Yup. Stick with what you have.
Old February 5th 11, 10:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
"SS" wrote:
On a volume for volume basis is LPG gas much more expensive than standard
piped gas.

For example if my current gas bill for the year is 700 (piped gas mains)
What would an equivelent in LPG cost.

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

So it would cost you 1400 if you used LPG or 1200 if you used heating
oil.

Anyone got a general idea?

Yup. Stick with what you have.

Thanks for the reply.
I have sold my house and looking for one to buy, a couple of good ones came
up but were using LPG
I guess I better factor that cost in, although I might just steer clear of
them. (unless they are cheap enough)

Old February 6th 11, 12:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 6th 11, 12:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 5, 11:16*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

In my experience when LPG does up it tends to stay up. That's why I've
bought a wood burning stove...

Cheers
Richard
Old February 7th 11, 02:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

In my experience when LPG does up it tends to stay up. That's why I've
bought a wood burning stove...

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for the
heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or not?

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per kWh, so
it's significantly more expensive to heat via propane.

I'd quite like a woodburning setup here too for the house, but they're
ridiculously expensive for what they are. I do have an ancient home-built
one in the basement with a split seam - I'll weld that up and install it
in the garage or workshop this year, I think.

cheers

Jules
Old February 7th 11, 03:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 5 Feb 2011 18:57:55 GMT, Steve Firth wrote:

Natural gas 4p/kWh
Heating oil 7p/kWh
LPG 8p/kWh

Heating oil was 70p+/l if you where daft enough to have to pay it in
Dec. It's now about 55p/l or roughly 5.5p/kw, bear in mind that in
early Dec it was only 45p/l and in Aug 40p/l.

I don't know if LPG has similar volatile pricing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

In my experience when LPG does up it tends to stay up. That's why I've
bought a wood burning stove...

LPG usually goes up at the start of the heating season, ie, winter, then
comes down again in spring, although it probably doesn't come down as much
as it should. I have no experience of using LPG for heating/cooking but my
car runs on LPG. Someone from www.lpgforum.co.uk posted this link recently
which shows that it is indeed on its way down again
http://quotes.ino.com/chart/index.ht...&t=&a=&w=&v+d3

Old February 7th 11, 03:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:38:49 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson wrote:

We're seeing about 10 cents per kWh here at the moment for propane,
whereas our electric baseboard heat is charged at 4.5 cents per kWh, so
it's significantly more expensive to heat via propane.

And both a damn sight cheaper than here. There are about 2 NZD to the
GBP so your propane is about 5p/kwhr and lecky 2.5p/kwhr. Is that
lecky some for of cheap rate (off peak) tarrif or what you pay for
all your electricity?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 7th 11, 07:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

Price goes way down here over the summer, then they ramp it up for the
heating season - not sure if that's the case in the UK too or not?

Autogas just dropped 7p/litre here so yes, it's seasonal.