Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Single phase motor with brake problem

The wood club I belong to have a Sheppach bandsaw. It had to be taken
out of operation last week because bad smells were emanating from the
motor. In fact it's not the motor itself but the power brake on it
which seems to be the problem, and is not coming off. This brake seems
to consist of a floating plate with brake material on each side, an
outer plate held by three pillar bolts and in-board, a second plate
and I take it some some sort of coil to activate these plates in
conjunction with a spring somewhere.

What did catch me out was that power was on permanently to the motor
junction box through two cables additional to the motor ones - yes,
it did catch me out as I had forgotten to fully isolate the machine
before working on it to remove the motor; fortunately it was the flash/
bang type catch, not the electrical assault on one's fingers, etc. It
may well be that the bandsaw power switch is where the fault lies and
there shouldn't have been power on one or other of these additional
wires.

So anyway, can someone tell me how this works and what the likely
wiring is. The motor with its brake have gone off to the local repair
shop for investigation and I imagine correct re-adjustment of the
brake if there is no fault with it.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 1:16*pm, robgraham wrote:

So anyway, can someone tell me how this works

It doesn't, they're ****. Scheppach were also over-reacting to PUWER
98 (probably for the schools market) and if you read the regs
carefully enough, particularly as related to bandsaws, then you can
reasonably argue the toss that you don't need this sort of braking
anyway.