Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Old January 22nd 11, 10:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele
Old January 22nd 11, 10:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 22, 10:01*pm,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

About 10kg a mile. Opinions will vary, but hanging 2 overcoats on a
coathook with metal toggles repeatedly proved too much. If you can
screw through into masonry behind, and bung some filler or plaster in
there, things really improve.

NT
Old January 22nd 11, 10:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

Old January 22nd 11, 10:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

My plan was to fix a batten below the shelves, so that the weight of the
shelves will be on that. Then the shelves will be fastened to the wall
at the top and bottom.

wall |___
| | ----- shelves
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| __|
|| ----- batten

Daniele
Old January 22nd 11, 11:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 22:58, D.M. Procida wrote:
Rick wrote:

"D.M. wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

Well you kind of do... just means more work/mess: cut away plasterboard
behind where the shelves go, and insert batten to go between two studs,
then cover over the hole. It looks like it will be really heavy: no way
I'd trust any form of pb fixing alone with that.

Other than that - I see that it's 1.57m tall: couldn't it be
floor-standing (still screwed to the wall but with the floor taking the
actual weight)? Perspex stilts?

David
Old January 22nd 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida ) wibbled on
Saturday 22 January 2011 22:01:

Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

So not standing on the floor at all (like the web page suggests)?

OK - if you can locate the studs in a studwork wall and screw into them -
loads and loads of weight will be fine.

If it's PB on dot'n'dab against brick, I would use frame fixings so as to
get deep into the brick without pulling hard up agains the PB (which can
dent it).

If it's dot'n'dab onto celcon blocks (spit) I would use Fischer Frame
Fixings - forget the part number, buy they have teeth for most of the
length. Drill the holes exactly the right size with an HSS drill so the plug
is a perfect fit - if you find you have a very cheesy block (as I did at the
last house) a smear of Araldite on the fixing will stop it from turning and
grinding out the hole. Some celcon type blocks are so bad though.

In either of the last two cases, treat the frame fixing like a rawlplug - it
set it in the wall, now through the shelving - then screw through the
shelving into it.

I have had success with the last method and the first method - the first
being very easy - hanging lots of shelves to hold heavy books and computers.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Old January 23rd 11, 12:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

On 22/01/2011 22:58, D.M. Procida wrote:
Rick wrote:

"D.M. wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

Well you kind of do... just means more work/mess: cut away plasterboard
behind where the shelves go, and insert batten to go between two studs,
then cover over the hole. It looks like it will be really heavy: no way
I'd trust any form of pb fixing alone with that.

You might be right. Builders seem to treat plasterboard the way I played
with Lego, so maybe it's not such a big job.

Other than that - I see that it's 1.57m tall: couldn't it be
floor-standing (still screwed to the wall but with the floor taking the
actual weight)? Perspex stilts?

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

Daniele
Old January 23rd 11, 01:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I have three radiators that are hung on plasterboard. I suspect there's
not much difference in weight between them and your CDs.

The fixings used were these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P0K9A/

Much depends on the thickness and quality of the plasterboard and how
many fixing points there are.
Old January 23rd 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

Might be an opportunity to try these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd3165/p34047

Old January 23rd 11, 09:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Might be an opportunity to try these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd3165/p34047

But aren't those specifically for dot-and-dab walls? I'm guessing the
OP's are stud wall construction, although it hasn't been specified.

David

fitting shelves on plasterboard wall Fred UK diy 9 February 2nd 10 09:37 AM
TV unit maximum weight AmyGG UK diy 1 May 18th 08 11:27 PM
shelves on plasterboard wall Fred UK diy 22 April 19th 08 04:56 PM
Fixing Shelves to Plasterboard Walls Terry W. UK diy 15 August 7th 06 11:04 PM
Plasterboard partition/shelves alexbartman UK diy 2 April 14th 05 01:00 PM