DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/317599-maximum-weight-shelves-fixed-plasterboard-wall.html)

D.M. Procida January 22nd 11 10:01 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

Tabby January 22nd 11 10:28 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On Jan 22, 10:01*pm,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

About 10kg a mile. Opinions will vary, but hanging 2 overcoats on a
coathook with metal toggles repeatedly proved too much. If you can
screw through into masonry behind, and bung some filler or plaster in
there, things really improve.

NT

Rick Hughes[_3_] January 22nd 11 10:34 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

D.M. Procida January 22nd 11 10:58 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Rick Hughes wrote:

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

My plan was to fix a batten below the shelves, so that the weight of the
shelves will be on that. Then the shelves will be fastened to the wall
at the top and bottom.

wall |___
| | ----- shelves
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| __|
|| ----- batten

Daniele

Lobster January 22nd 11 11:24 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On 22/01/2011 22:58, D.M. Procida wrote:
Rick wrote:

"D.M. wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

Well you kind of do... just means more work/mess: cut away plasterboard
behind where the shelves go, and insert batten to go between two studs,
then cover over the hole. It looks like it will be really heavy: no way
I'd trust any form of pb fixing alone with that.

Other than that - I see that it's 1.57m tall: couldn't it be
floor-standing (still screwed to the wall but with the floor taking the
actual weight)? Perspex stilts?

David

Tim Watts January 22nd 11 11:49 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

D.M. Procida ) wibbled on
Saturday 22 January 2011 22:01:

Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

So not standing on the floor at all (like the web page suggests)?

OK - if you can locate the studs in a studwork wall and screw into them -
loads and loads of weight will be fine.

If it's PB on dot'n'dab against brick, I would use frame fixings so as to
get deep into the brick without pulling hard up agains the PB (which can
dent it).

If it's dot'n'dab onto celcon blocks (spit) I would use Fischer Frame
Fixings - forget the part number, buy they have teeth for most of the
length. Drill the holes exactly the right size with an HSS drill so the plug
is a perfect fit - if you find you have a very cheesy block (as I did at the
last house) a smear of Araldite on the fixing will stop it from turning and
grinding out the hole. Some celcon type blocks are so bad though.

In either of the last two cases, treat the frame fixing like a rawlplug - it
set it in the wall, now through the shelving - then screw through the
shelving into it.

I have had success with the last method and the first method - the first
being very easy - hanging lots of shelves to hold heavy books and computers.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts

D.M. Procida January 23rd 11 12:00 AM

Lobster wrote:

On 22/01/2011 22:58, D.M. Procida wrote:
Rick wrote:

"D.M. wrote in
message
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I would not fix anything direct to Plasterboard .... either fix direct to
studs, or fix counter batten to studs then what you want to the batten

I don't really have that option.

Well you kind of do... just means more work/mess: cut away plasterboard
behind where the shelves go, and insert batten to go between two studs,
then cover over the hole. It looks like it will be really heavy: no way
I'd trust any form of pb fixing alone with that.

You might be right. Builders seem to treat plasterboard the way I played
with Lego, so maybe it's not such a big job.

Other than that - I see that it's 1.57m tall: couldn't it be
floor-standing (still screwed to the wall but with the floor taking the
actual weight)? Perspex stilts?

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

Daniele

Steve Firth January 23rd 11 01:39 AM

D.M. Procida wrote:

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I have three radiators that are hung on plasterboard. I suspect there's
not much difference in weight between them and your CDs.

The fixings used were these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P0K9A/

Much depends on the thickness and quality of the plasterboard and how
many fixing points there are.

The Medway Handyman January 23rd 11 09:37 AM

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

Might be an opportunity to try these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd3165/p34047

Lobster January 23rd 11 09:56 AM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Might be an opportunity to try these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd3165/p34047

But aren't those specifically for dot-and-dab walls? I'm guessing the
OP's are stud wall construction, although it hasn't been specified.

David

Geo[_2_] January 23rd 11 10:27 AM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 00:00:11 +0000,
(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

The skirting board will project more than the socket - just ignore it.

--
Geo

Andrew Gabriel January 23rd 11 10:45 AM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

In article ,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

One of the things the teacher demonstrated on a plastering course I
did nearly 10 years ago was that a plasterboard wall could easily
support his weight hanging from it (on the plasterboard alone, not
the supports). It's all a question of the number and type of fixings
used.

However, if possible find one of the timber supports and put some
of the fixings into that.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Halmyre January 23rd 11 11:20 AM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On Jan 23, 10:10*am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
(Steve Firth) wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

I have three radiators that are hung on plasterboard. I suspect there's
not much difference in weight between them and your CDs.

The fixings used were these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P0K9A/

Batteries not included, apparently. Hmmmm.

Luckily, they're also not required. Perhaps they are mains powered?

--
Halmyre

Bob Eager January 23rd 11 11:21 AM

(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

The skirting board will project more than the socket - just ignore it.

Depends whether it's surface mounted.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

fred[_8_] January 23rd 11 12:42 PM

(D.M. Procida) wrote:

Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.

The skirting board will project more than the socket - just ignore it.

Depends whether it's surface mounted.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

Hopefully you are dealing with a double skin plasterboard wall. Single
skin plasterboard is not the strongest on this type of application

A hollow wall anchor is the ONLY answer if you are concerned about a
load. Fischer offer tech details on their site. Use a pull up/
compression tool if you can. Calculate your loadings, erring on the
conservative side, and use the Fischer tables to establish the number
of fixings required. I would use a french cleat or battens top and
bottom. The bottom batten will carry the vertical load and the top
batten will prevent the shelving rotating outwards. Alternatively you
could use cupboard hangers. The type that use a small plate screwed to
the wall and adjustable fittings mounted inside the storage unit.
These make the use of hollow wall anchors easier as the metal plate is
only about 2mm thick. Also the adjustments available on the fitting
mounted inside the cupboard make leveling easy.

Those screw in nylon fixings are very poor when it comes to heavy
loads. They have little resistance to horizontal pull and are easily
overtightened leading to deformation of the thread cut in the
plasterboard

Don't ask how I know all this,but believe me I speak from bitter
experience.

Paul Mc cann

Jim Chisholm January 23rd 11 12:51 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Daniele

No problem

Use a couple of fixings such as:
http://www.scfsupplies.co.uk/Plaster...rs/C37-1-0.htm.

As long as the load is basically in shear (which your shelves would be
if fixed at top)

I fixed a set of shelves with similar fixings to take A4 manuals and
could even sit on them!

They will fail if there is any bending, such as you would get with a
coat hook.

Jim

Richard Russell January 23rd 11 12:56 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

On Jan 22, 11:22*pm, Huge wrote:
I spent several years working under a couple of tonnes of manuals on Spur
shelving hung off a plasterboard wall.

Same here. If you can spread the load (Spur supports do that very
effectively) and ensure it's mostly downwards rather than outwards,
plasterboard will typically support a huge weight. At your own risk,
of course.

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Steve Firth January 23rd 11 01:08 PM

Tim Streater wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001P0K9A/

Batteries not included, apparently. Hmmmm.

Stores run by people slightly less insane than those at Amazon are
available.

D.M. Procida January 23rd 11 08:12 PM

Lobster wrote:

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Might be an opportunity to try these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...line+Pro+Plast
erboard+Fixing+75+x+80mm/d90/sd3165/p34047

But aren't those specifically for dot-and-dab walls? I'm guessing the
OP's are stud wall construction, although it hasn't been specified.

It's odd. I made littlw holes with a drill to test. There's
plasterboard, then behind it there is a gap, and only at about 40mm is
there anything (which seems to be brick and mortar).

Daniele

Tim Watts January 23rd 11 10:52 PM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

D.M. Procida ) wibbled on
Sunday 23 January 2011 20:12:

Lobster wrote:

On 22/01/2011 22:01, D.M. Procida wrote:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898
that's going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight,
and the thing is heavy enough to begin with.

Might be an opportunity to try these

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...line+Pro+Plast
erboard+Fixing+75+x+80mm/d90/sd3165/p34047

But aren't those specifically for dot-and-dab walls? I'm guessing the
OP's are stud wall construction, although it hasn't been specified.

It's odd. I made littlw holes with a drill to test. There's
plasterboard, then behind it there is a gap, and only at about 40mm is
there anything (which seems to be brick and mortar).

Daniele

There's a solution to that if you need to pull something tight to the wall.

Mark the fixing holes and drill them through the PB only.

Using a throwaway PU foam can, fill the void with foam behind each hole in
all directions.

When set, drill again, into brick, rawlplug the brick and fix. The foam over
about a 5+cm radius will provide a lot of support to the PB.

--
Tim Watts

D.M. Procida January 23rd 11 11:08 PM

Tim Watts wrote:

It's odd. I made littlw holes with a drill to test. There's
plasterboard, then behind it there is a gap, and only at about 40mm is
there anything (which seems to be brick and mortar).

Daniele

There's a solution to that if you need to pull something tight to the wall.

Mark the fixing holes and drill them through the PB only.

Using a throwaway PU foam can, fill the void with foam behind each hole in
all directions.

When set, drill again, into brick, rawlplug the brick and fix. The foam over
about a 5+cm radius will provide a lot of support to the PB.

Very clever.

I've found a way to move things around - I can have the bottom of the
shelf resting on the skirtingboard, so that will make the fastenings all
a bit less critical.

The fastenings' main (and easier) job will be to keep the shelves tight
to the wall, and not hold up all their weight too.

I think I will try to avoid having to go into the brick, and I'll use
the kind of bolt that expands outwards behind the plasterboard as it is
tightened. Here in South Wales houses of this age all use a filthy kind
of black mortar, which I inevitable drill into, if I don't just hit the
edge of a brick to make the hole go sideways.

Daniele

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 24th 11 12:34 AM

Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
Assuming that I have appropriate fixings, what is the maximum weight I
should try to hang from a plasterboard wall?

I have one of these:
http://www.habitat.co.uk/cleo-cd-storage/-//fcp-product/997898 that's
going to need to be wall-mounted. 400 CDs make quite a weight, and the
thing is heavy enough to begin with.

One of the things the teacher demonstrated on a plastering course I
did nearly 10 years ago was that a plasterboard wall could easily
support his weight hanging from it (on the plasterboard alone, not
the supports). It's all a question of the number and type of fixings
used.
Glue is probably better than screws..spreads the load better.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 24th 11 12:35 AM

(D.M. Procida) wrote:
Unfortunately there is a mains socket just where I want to put it -
which means it can't even rest on the skirting board with a couple of
short legs at the front (as well as being fastened to the wall of
course) - it'll have to go above the socket.
The skirting board will project more than the socket - just ignore it.

Depends whether it's surface mounted.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Hopefully you are dealing with a double skin plasterboard wall. Single
skin plasterboard is not the strongest on this type of application

A hollow wall anchor is the ONLY answer if you are concerned about a
load.

No, it isn't.

Glue is best.

Theo Markettos January 26th 11 11:10 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:27:32 +0000, Geo wrote:

The skirting board will project more than the socket - just ignore it.

Depends whether it's surface mounted.

In which case, it might be easier to move the socket...

Theo