Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bottom entry cistern filling valve

The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

If I'm looking at sourcing a new assembly, is the height relevant as
long as it's = the current? The currently installed is 11" high but I
can't find the same on Screwfix or Toolstation.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 12:59, F wrote:
The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

Never seen one of those before! Is there a makers name anywhere?

If I'm looking at sourcing a new assembly, is the height relevant as
long as it's = the current? The currently installed is 11" high but I
can't find the same on Screwfix or Toolstation.

TIA

If you go for a new assembly I'd recommend a Fluidmaster;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/...-Fill-Valve-UK

Adjustable between 9" & 14"

Very simple to fit, excellent instructions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman ) wibbled on Saturday 22
January 2011 14:25:

On 22/01/2011 12:59, F wrote:
The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

Never seen one of those before! Is there a makers name anywhere?

If I'm looking at sourcing a new assembly, is the height relevant as
long as it's = the current? The currently installed is 11" high but I
can't find the same on Screwfix or Toolstation.

TIA

If you go for a new assembly I'd recommend a Fluidmaster;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/...s/Fluidmaster-

Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve-UK

Adjustable between 9" & 14"

Very simple to fit, excellent instructions.

Me Too...

Although I would go for the "Pro" version - all the same features plus a
"proper" brass pipe thread.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81274/...s/Fluidmaster-
Pro-Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve

I've used their Pro side entry and it is extremely well made (better than
anything else I have ever seen in recent years).

I must try removing the flow restrictor from mine and see how it copes with
mains pressure...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote in news:-
:

Take the diaphagm washer to a plumbing shop you will get
a replacement.Not likely to find one in the sheds though.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 14:25 The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 22/01/2011 12:59, F wrote:
The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

Never seen one of those before! Is there a makers name anywhere?

If I'm looking at sourcing a new assembly, is the height relevant as
long as it's = the current? The currently installed is 11" high but I
can't find the same on Screwfix or Toolstation.

TIA

If you go for a new assembly I'd recommend a Fluidmaster;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/...-Fill-Valve-UK

Adjustable between 9" & 14"

Very simple to fit, excellent instructions.

Thanks, recommendation noted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 14:32 Heliotrope Smith wrote:

Take the diaphagm washer to a plumbing shop you will get
a replacement.Not likely to find one in the sheds though.

I'll give it a try, though after a previous visit, the local guy will
probably want the remaining arm and leg!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 12:59:52 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

If I'm looking at sourcing a new assembly, is the height relevant as
long as it's = the current? The currently installed is 11" high but I
can't find the same on Screwfix or Toolstation.

TIA

Take the rubber thing to a plumbers merchant for a replacement, its
very cheap, but be careful there are two different ones. Yours has a
90 degree shoulder on the edge, mine has no shoulder.

For me the whole thing is a POS and came out yesterday for its
bi-monthly cleaning. It stops working regularly and either stops the
water completely or just lets a continuous flow through. Never found
out what is wrong, it is perfectly clean. I take it apart and
reassemble it and it works for a few more weeks.

Thanks to MHM for pointing out the Pro version I will get one and see
if it works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 22, 2:25*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 22/01/2011 12:59, F wrote:

The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

Never seen one of those before! *Is there a makers name anywhere?

It's a Siamp - http://www.siamp.co.uk

10yr guarantee I seem to recall so probably worth getting in touch
with them.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 12:59, F wrote:
[...]

Didn't know they did one, thanks Tim, looks excellent. Not dear either.
I always install a flexible tap connector where possible to avoid
cross threading the plastic thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 16:54, Ericp wrote:
[...]

Can't claim the credit - it was Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 18:48, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Jan 22, 2:25 pm, The Medway
wrote:
On 22/01/2011 12:59, F wrote:

The fill on our toilet has slowed down and I've found a tiny tear in the
rubber diaphragm (http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/valve.jpg). Is it
possible to buy replacements, or is it a completely new assembly
(http://www.spinningweb.net/usenet/assembly.jpg)?

Never seen one of those before! Is there a makers name anywhere?

It's a Siamp - http://www.siamp.co.uk

Quick Google reveals very few distributors & looks expensive, nice to
see spares online. Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/...tings/Fluidmas...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81274/...tings/Fluidmas...
Pro-Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve

I've used their Pro side entry and it is extremely well made (better than
anything else I have ever seen in recent years).

I must try removing the flow restrictor from mine and see how it copes with
mains pressure...

--
Tim Watts

The problem I found fitting one of these the other day was that the
float jammed against the side of the cistern. I did get round it using
some plastic wedges to move the cap at the top away from the cistern
wall. All now works fine with no leaks.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan ) wibbled on Sunday 23 January 2011 12:08:

On Jan 22, 2:31 pm, Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81274/...tings/Fluidmas...
Pro-Bottom-Entry-Fill-Valve

I've used their Pro side entry and it is extremely well made (better than
anything else I have ever seen in recent years).

I must try removing the flow restrictor from mine and see how it copes
with mains pressure...

--
Tim Watts

The problem I found fitting one of these the other day was that the
float jammed against the side of the cistern. I did get round it using
some plastic wedges to move the cap at the top away from the cistern
wall. All now works fine with no leaks.

Jonathan

True - they are quite wide.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 22, 2:25*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

If you go for a new assembly I'd recommend a Fluidmaster;http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/...tings/Fluidmas...

I prefer Torbecks, although I do live in a soft water area.

I've had problems with Fluidmaster where the cistern went into a
continuous syphon mode (which might be related to the syphon too).
The problem was caused by the Fluidmaster's immediate opening when
flushed: water (which is quite high pressure here, especially at
night) would refill so quickly whilst still flushing that the syphon
never broke and so would continue to dribble indefinitely. A
temporary fix was to throttle water fill rate with the service valve
(noisy, slow and unreliable) but the real fix was to swap the
Fluidmaster for a Torbeck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2011 18:48 Mathew Newton wrote:

It's a Siamp - http://www.siamp.co.uk

10yr guarantee I seem to recall so probably worth getting in touch
with them.

Thanks for that, I've emailed them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you go for a new assembly I'd recommend a Fluidmaster;http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84007/...tings/Fluidmas...

I prefer Torbecks, although I do live in a soft water area.

I've had problems with Fluidmaster where the cistern went into a
continuous syphon mode (which might be related to the syphon too).
The problem was caused by the Fluidmaster's immediate opening when
flushed: water (which is quite high pressure here, especially at
night) would refill so quickly whilst still flushing that the syphon
never broke and so would continue to dribble indefinitely. A
temporary fix was to throttle water fill rate with the service valve
(noisy, slow and unreliable) but the real fix was to swap the
Fluidmaster for a Torbeck.

Yes, I had that with a Flowmaster so had to throttle the supply.
The 'new' (about 4 yo) flush has a Siamp in/out and the fill is delayed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:33:14 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Quick Google reveals very few distributors & looks expensive, nice to
see spares online. Cheers

'kinell £10 for a diaphragm washer! You can get the whole valve for that
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2835/p50223

I used to fit Torbecks but they've f*cked around with the design (instead
of the stainless steel needle that must have cost about 1p to make and fit
they've got some flimsy nylon protruberance on the washer, which is no
longer standard between all their valves) so now I fit Flowmasters which
you can get spare washers for at not-totally-stupid prices
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/44070/

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Women always generalise