Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ish Live Mail

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually getting
the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply at
the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually
getting the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply
at the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Make life easy and switch to Thunderbird instead.
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:09:35 -0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually getting
the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply at
the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

-- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I didn't manage to find anything when I was going through the same
problems.

It's a shame, as WLM 2011 is a very nice email client. BTW - I presume this
is WLM 2011 that you are suffering with? If you could manage to find the
older version WLM 2009, then quoting does work. However, the email
interface is not as nice as with 2011 - i.e. no slideshow previews etc.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:41:45 GMT, J. Hunter Holly wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually getting
the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply at
the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Sorry, I can't help with your question but I have, incidentally,
noticed another shortcoming of Windows Live Mail is that it starts off
each new message with a '?' - what's that all about?

That never happened with my WLM postings, so not sure what that is all
about.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually getting
the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply at
the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Sorry, I can't help with your question but I have, incidentally,
noticed another shortcoming of Windows Live Mail is that it starts off
each new message with a '?' - what's that all about?

That never happened with my WLM postings, so not sure what that is all
about.

Okay, not all WLM postings then - but certainly some users have this
happen and, apparently, consistently so.- Hide quoted text -

Certainly does it with me.

Dave TMH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Probably best to just bite the bullet and jump to thunderbird tbh.

You don't have to use it for email if you want to continue using Livemail
but for usenet stuff, it's much much better.

Microsoft have finally given up with usenet really (not that they were
ever great at it!)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 14:27:35 +0000 (UTC), D.M.Chapman wrote:

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Probably best to just bite the bullet and jump to thunderbird tbh.

You don't have to use it for email if you want to continue using Livemail
but for usenet stuff, it's much much better.

Microsoft have finally given up with usenet really (not that they were
ever great at it!)

Darren

used to use turnpike years ago for newsgroups and tried a few including oe
but atm giving 40tude ago - done wonders removing x-posted articles and the
"colonel", nice quoting and indents (colours previous posts in message so
its easy to see who posted what)
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote:

Dave could change to Agent for his usenet activities - there's still a
free version available.

Available as in downloadable from Forté? I can't see one.

But I dare-say someone has a copy of the old freeagent tucked away
somewhere, I even think I have one somewhere, but there doesn't seem to
be a lack of free (and maintained) usenet readers ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Probably best to just bite the bullet and jump to thunderbird tbh.

You don't have to use it for email if you want to continue using Livemail
but for usenet stuff, it's much much better.

Microsoft have finally given up with usenet really (not that they were
ever great at it!)

Darren

used to use turnpike years ago for newsgroups and tried a few including oe
but atm giving 40tude ago - done wonders removing x-posted articles and the
"colonel", nice quoting and indents (colours previous posts in message so
its easy to see who posted what)

AOL! :-)

40tude Dialog is simply brilliant. Far better than I ever experienced with
OE, WM, WLM or Thunderbird to be honest. Much more of a nuts and bolts
piece of software. Given a little background reading to understand it, it
should be perfect for most people on here who like to understand how things
work!

Is there a way to set up a plonk rule, though, which will plonk any message
in a thread which the Colonel started? ATM, I have a huge plonk list
courtesy of the Colonel and his schizo delusions.
--
Cheers

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:28:32 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually
getting the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply
at the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

WLM is a lost cause for usenet really. I am not aware of any fixes for
it either, and I expect MS have long since lost interest in it.

Au contraire...they have interested in WLM 2011. It's just that their
interest seems to be to disable then remove the newsgroup functionality
from it, and to therefore concentrate solely on it's mail capabilities.
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:33:39 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 16/01/2011 18:15, JW wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:28:32 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually
getting the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply
at the bottom& inserted's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

WLM is a lost cause for usenet really. I am not aware of any fixes for
it either, and I expect MS have long since lost interest in it.

Au contraire...they have interested in WLM 2011. It's just that their
interest seems to be to disable then remove the newsgroup functionality
from it, and to therefore concentrate solely on it's mail capabilities.

I think that is what I said, but you please yourself ;-)

Yes, possibly. I originally thought you meant they'd lost interest in WLM,
but with hindsight, you probably mean they've lost interest in Usenet. :-)
--
Cheers

JW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2011 18:15, JW wrote:
[...]

I use

!delete,ignore From "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"

the ignore seems to stop the replies to the thread he started - hardly
ever see any reference to him now
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2011 18:15, JW wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I'll look into, and give that a try!
--
Cheers

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

I just loaded up outlook express to check I wasnt filtering out too many
posts with my plonk rules - Boy I really miss the colonel NOT !!!! lol
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 11:36*am, Mike Clarke wrote:

?My new PC tower came with Windows Live Mail, which I'm gradually
getting the hang of.

When I used OE6 I downloaded Quotefix which automatically put my reply
at the bottom & inserted 's to the existing text.

Can I get Live to do that or is there something like Quotefix I could
download?

Make life easy and switch to Thunderbird instead.http://www.mozillamessaging.com/

Ah, "Thunderturd" & "Firepox". They're just as bad, need just as
frequent updates as MS stuff. No better, just different.

MBQ