Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

Old January 16th 11, 10:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

Any suggestions on how to proceed for the least damage?

Daniele
Old January 16th 11, 11:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

Any suggestions on how to proceed for the least damage?

Daniele

12 at amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flair-310-Cl...5216441&sr=1-1

Old January 16th 11, 11:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:33:00 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

A sharp triming knife blade, patience and not forcing anything too
much can normally get most things open without excessive damage.
Close examination and probing may well find a weak spot in the join
into which you can work the trimming knife blade. After that working
the blade slowly along the join with twisting action to open the
joint, not cut through, should get it apart. You may have to work
from several weak spots.

The recent new retro-copies of these classic toys are never as well
made as the orginals.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old January 17th 11, 12:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
Sorry - PC / Server problem

Trouble with the photocopier in the Tardis again?

ROS to etch glass? Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 12 May 7th 07 02:11 PM
Electrical Sketch Terry Home Repair 3 March 9th 07 05:17 PM
Making an etch mask Will Metalworking 7 March 1st 06 05:28 PM
Etch/primer/paint for aluminum panel? Tim Shoppa Metalworking 10 June 14th 05 04:38 AM
PCB Etch Film Reusable Stencil? Okidokee Electronics 1 October 5th 04 10:11 AM