Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking off a gas fire flue?

Hi,
The house I'm in has an unused gas fire which I want to get removed.
The flue from it runs within an external wall and originally exited the
wall from a clay pipe to metal pipework within the loft and then vented
through a roof tile.

While having a new roof fitted, the metal pipework was removed and
disposed of, leaving the open clay pipe inside the loft.
I'm going to redecorate the room the fire is in. Can I safely block the
flue off and decorate over the space where the fire is at present? Will
I need to use some sort of vent to the flue?

Thanks in advance

--

numpty

blocking up fireplace / flue on 1970s house David Robinson UK diy 3 May 7th 10 09:35 AM
Gas fire to fit on an external wall with a bent flue or a long (approx 1metre) flue david UK diy 2 October 22nd 06 01:54 PM
Gas boiler/fire flue Kev UK diy 0 October 10th 06 04:44 PM
Fire blocking and drywall Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 10 February 3rd 05 08:58 PM
Gas fire flue extract... Magog UK diy 0 February 28th 04 01:46 PM