Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to repair a mahogany table top

Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not particularly
valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to try to repair
the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about where to get the
necessary info?

Have you tried The Internet? I understand it's quite useful in these
situations.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam ) wibbled on Sunday 16 January 2011 16:09:

Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Hi,

Solid mahogany? Or veneer?

I got a long long with some *very* mild sanding of an oak veneered leaf
dining table I got for 25 quid (the danger was going through the veneer).

If solid, you can obviously take more off.

As to the scratches - will they sand out, do you want to fill them or even
leave them as a "feature of antiquity" (it's not as daft as it sounds).

For filling - wait for someone else. There are certainly magic compounds but
I know not what to recommend.

What sort of finish are you after? Again, there are many choices, including:

a) Plain waxing (again, wait for someone to recommend the best) - not so
robust but trivial to repolish from time to time once the base wax is
established. Hardwood lab benches lasted for decades of abject chemical and
heat abuse by being waxed often. Howver, if you want a "pristine" look, a
waxed finish may mark quickly with spilt liquid or heat.

b) Oils of various sorts.

c) Varnish. Personally if going down this route, I wouldn't use polyurethane
- but rather something like Rustins "Bar Top" which has been recommended
here many times. Not so easy to apply but supposed to be the most *******
hardwaring finish available.

d) "Treatex" which is a proprietary blend of oils and waxes. I like it where
I want a non polished "real wood" look and feel (I used it on all my oak
skiting and architrave) - couple of coats leave the wood texture still
feelable but offers some protection. Easy to rag another coat on later. Not
likely to give you a traditional polished look.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2011 17:23, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
wrote in message
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not particularly
valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to try to repair
the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about where to get the
necessary info?

Have you tried The Internet? I understand it's quite useful in these
situations.

Si

Yup - I use it all the time. There's a huge amount of info and no way to
filter good from bad. I was hoping for some suggestions based on
personal practical experience (I admit I could have worded the question
far better!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly
valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to try to
repair
the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about where to get the
necessary info?

Have you tried The Internet? I understand it's quite useful in these
situations.

Si

Yup - I use it all the time. There's a huge amount of info and no way to
filter good from bad. I was hoping for some suggestions based on personal
practical experience (I admit I could have worded the question far
better!)

)

I often have a squint around Youtube for things of this nature; it's quite
useful and, surprisingly, not just full of schoolkids filming themselves
being 'cool', as it seems at first glance.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot ) wibbled on Sunday 16
January 2011 17:23:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not particularly
valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to try to repair
the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about where to get the
necessary info?

Have you tried The Internet? I understand it's quite useful in these
situations.

Si

I think he just did! ;-

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot ) wibbled on Sunday 16
January 2011 18:52:

I often have a squint around Youtube for things of this nature; it's quite
useful and, surprisingly, not just full of schoolkids filming themselves
being 'cool', as it seems at first glance.

Si

Yep - I have leant more about wood routing that I could ever do from a book
- my mode of learning is to watch something in action. It also makes a lot
of helpful information put out here fall into context better IME.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2011 16:09, NoSpam wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

I have a similar problem to you. I do a lot of looking at poorly
computers and some time ago, I slid a computer case across the table and
2 of the screws that hold the plastic feet to the bottom of the case had
come unscrewed just enough to scratch the dining table top by about
0.25mm :-(((
Come warmer weather, Ill take the legs off it and try sanding it down
outside.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2011 17:24, Tim Watts wrote:
NoSpam ) wibbled on Sunday 16 January 2011 16:09:

Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Hi,

Solid mahogany? Or veneer?

Veneer - with some very nice figuring (it was a few hundred squid about
25 years ago

I got a long long with some *very* mild sanding of an oak veneered leaf
dining table I got for 25 quid (the danger was going through the veneer).

If solid, you can obviously take more off.

As to the scratches - will they sand out, do you want to fill them or even
leave them as a "feature of antiquity" (it's not as daft as it sounds).

I guess some will go with refinishing, a few ill need filling and the
rest can become a "feechur"

[...]

At the moment I think it's lacquered - it looks too good to be 25 year
old polyurethane.

Having done a little investigation it seems that I would have to get
"all" the lacquer off if I was going to varnish or oil it - maybe that
will turn-out to be a piece of sandpaper too far. I've just seen some
very nice (and some not-so-nice) mango-wood furniture and the flexible
friend is tempting me to splash out :-(

Thanks for the info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Surprisingly I hadn't thought of Youtube - good idea!
Sadly, having stumbled over a very nice mango-wood table/chairs while
looking for something else I'm now getting tempted to replace rather
than repair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09*pm, NoSpam wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Depends on whether it's solid or veneered. If sold it can be sanded
but it's more likely to be veneered. there are various epoxy
compounds, the trick being to match the colours. If you want a good
job, best left to an expert.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09*pm, NoSpam wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Bennett's "Discovering and Restoring Antique Furniture" is about the
best general how-to
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/030434740X/codesmiths
Most antique restoration books are _not_ to be trusted, especially not
for wood finishes.

The "steam ironing" technique is worth trying for dent removal and
some scratches, so long as you're already having to deal with (white)
hot water rings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2011 20:13, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jan 16, 4:09 pm, wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Bennett's "Discovering and Restoring Antique Furniture" is about the
best general how-to
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/030434740X/codesmiths
Most antique restoration books are _not_ to be trusted, especially not
for wood finishes.

The "steam ironing" technique is worth trying for dent removal and
some scratches, so long as you're already having to deal with (white)
hot water rings.

It isn't an antique so I believe the finish is likely to be lacquer.

There aren't any rings - just scratches on the (rather nice) table top
and on the chair legs. From the figuring it must be a veneered top.
I'm starting to think that this may not be a DIY job ... but I need to
find-out about the compatibility of different finishes, and also how
much a restorer would charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 18, 9:40*pm, NoSpam wrote:
There aren't any rings - just scratches on the (rather nice) table top
and on the chair legs. From the figuring it must be a veneered top.
I'm starting to think that this may not be a DIY job ... but I need to
find-out about the compatibility of different finishes, and also how
much a restorer would charge.

Flexner's finishing book is about the best guide. Bit American, but a
good book.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

A quick fix might be a suitably coloured wax crayon rubbed over the
scratches. Very difficult to restore modern lacquers without stripping
and doing a total re-finish

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

Axminster do some furniture coloured wax repair sticks IIRC. They can
certainly make damage far less noticeable...

I think "less noticeable" is going to have to be the aim, rather than
fully refinishing it. Maybe a quick attack with 0000 wire wool, then a
combination of running some french polish into the smaller scratches and
some wax into the larger ones, then an overall zap with some decent polish.
Thanks for all the suggestions.