Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moving stuff out to a shed

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 1:11*pm, "john eastwood"
wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Use vacuum pack bags ? You suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner.
Might not be cheap though.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2011 13:11, john eastwood wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

As far as I'm aware, bin liners don't have holes and are available in a
range of sizes and with tie handles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 1:22*pm, Gareth wrote:
On 26/01/2011 13:11, john eastwood wrote:

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

As far as I'm aware, bin liners don't have holes and are available in a
range of sizes and with tie handles.

We use a good wrapping with clingfilm for putting things in the
loft.

Not a perfect moisture barrier of course but it keeps boxes from
going soft quite well and keeps things clean.

Leo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 1:22*pm, Gareth wrote:
On 26/01/2011 13:11, john eastwood wrote:

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

As far as I'm aware, bin liners don't have holes and are available in a
range of sizes and with tie handles.

Bin liners are so thin though that I'd expect moisture vapour to be
able to pass (slowly) through, and in to the books.

Depending on how long you are expecting to have the books out there,
and how many, it might be worth considering a self storage place
(which will be reliably dry). They aren't that expensive for a few
weeks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2011 13:11, john eastwood wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Industrial cling film works well.

http://www.key.co.uk/hand-applied-st...DM0303266.html

I presume that domestic cling film would also be effective.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , bluestar00954
@mail.invalid says...
Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Shrink-wrap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john eastwood" wrote in message
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags
to try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags
as far as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the
holes, preferably with the tie handles?

Tesco bags degrade quite quickly, especially in a damp environment. Pound
shops etc. often sell vacuum bags, and definitely bin bags and clingfilm.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Builder's merchant, clear rubble sacks. Much heavier polythene, so
the tear resistance is adequate. You can also tell which bundle you're
looking for.

Seal with decent quality brown parcel tape. This outlasts sellotape or
gaffer.

Assume that wrapped books are going in for at least a couple of years.
It's easier to have to wrap twice as many small bundles than it is to
carry big bundles, or to have to search through them later to find
that one book (probably on bookshelf construction) you do need again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john eastwood" wrote in message
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags
to try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags
as far as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the
holes, preferably with the tie handles?

Kitchen bin liners from Sainsburys come with a tie cord.
Couple of quid for 20.
They are quite strong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Would pedal bin liners be an option? You can get these with tie
handles (although you'd likely need heavy duty ones).

I had a dozen large plastic boxes full of books stuck in a shed for
over a year with no issues with dampness or mustiness but I did place
some sillica gel based cat litter in each of the boxes to absorb any
moisture that did get in. Not a clue if it made any difference but
since I had it going spare it was worth a shot.

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"john eastwood" wrote:

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

I don't think I'd use plastic of any description: I'd be worried about
condensation. I think I'd buy some of those boxes used for moving house
(cardboard boxes, flat-packed) and stash the books in those. I'd then
cover the piles of boxes with decorator's dust sheets. These materials
can absorb damp, and then lose it, as temps rise and fall.

But as someone else has remarked: how long in the shed? And is the shed
reasonably robust, or just a cheap thin job (like I've got)? And how
valuable are the books?

2p
J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:11:03 -0000, "john eastwood"
wrote:

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

I think I'd be inclined to leave the books with a friend or neighbour,
especially around this time of the year.

However, TV repairers used to use a heavy sort of 'clingfilm' to wrap
around TVs to protect mainly the screen - this would be much more
durable than kitchen-type stuff.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john eastwood" wrote in message
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags
to try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags
as far as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the
holes, preferably with the tie handles?

Woops!
Have you got a loft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"john eastwood" wrote in message
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags
to try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags
as far as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the
holes, preferably with the tie handles?

so put then in tesco bags after you have put them in a sealed bag

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john eastwood wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out
in the garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with
U.k., weather i know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market
bags to try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other
supermarket bags as far as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the
holes, preferably with the tie handles?

I'm still waiting for TMH to suggest WD40.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john eastwood wrote:

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Worse than that, Tesco bags bio-degrade, after a few months they turn to
flakes of white carrier bag shrapnel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

You're really trying to hide dismembered bodies, aren't you? Probably
cut them up with an angle-grinder.

Books, indeed!

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:23:30 +0000, Another John wrote:

I don't think I'd use plastic of any description: I'd be worried about
condensation.

Aye no doubt they will be packed up in a nice warm place then shifted
out to the cold shed. Instant condensation in the "sealed" bags, not
a good idea.

I think I'd buy some of those boxes used for moving house (cardboard
boxes, flat-packed) and stash the books in those. I'd then cover the
piles of boxes with decorator's dust sheets. These materials can absorb
damp, and then lose it, as temps rise and fall.

Probably be OK for a short term, a few weeks at most, but anything
longer really needs somewhere better than a cold, damp, unheated,
shed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 1:31*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Jan 26, 1:22*pm, Gareth wrote:

On 26/01/2011 13:11, john eastwood wrote:

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

As far as I'm aware, bin liners don't have holes and are available in a
range of sizes and with tie handles.

Bin liners are so thin though that I'd expect moisture vapour to be
able to pass (slowly) through, and in to the books.

I'd be more worried about vermin.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

No friends or family that will look after them? No self storage places
nearby? I have even known people store stuff under the desk at work.

There's no way would I put any of my books oout in a shed.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Jan 26, 1:22*pm, Gareth wrote:

[...]

It would indeed be a good idea to deploy a mousetrap or two. Just make
sure that they are in a place where the mice are likely to find them
before they find the books.

Mice can be terribly destructive - especially if they decide take up
residence, and start building a nest. They are regular visitors to my
garage (where I have three traps set) but, surprisingly, they usually
seem to ignore the sheds. In principle, I don't believe in killing them
(or any other creature), but I think I can honestly claim that it is in
self-defence.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Due to some work in the house, i'm having to put a lot of books out in the
garden shed for a while. (Not ideal storage solution with U.k., weather i
know).

My idea is to wrap small bundles in a couple of Tescos super market bags to
try to keep the damp out. But Tescos bags (and other supermarket bags as far
as i know) have those tiny holes in them.

Would anyone know of any similar bags available that are without the holes,
preferably with the tie handles?

Something vermin proof, which a bag isn't