How to repair a mahogany table top

Old January 18th 11, 08:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to repair a mahogany table top

On Jan 16, 4:09*pm, NoSpam wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Depends on whether it's solid or veneered. If sold it can be sanded
but it's more likely to be veneered. there are various epoxy
compounds, the trick being to match the colours. If you want a good
job, best left to an expert.
Old January 18th 11, 09:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09*pm, NoSpam wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Bennett's "Discovering and Restoring Antique Furniture" is about the
best general how-to
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/030434740X/codesmiths
Most antique restoration books are _not_ to be trusted, especially not
for wood finishes.

The "steam ironing" technique is worth trying for dent removal and
some scratches, so long as you're already having to deal with (white)
hot water rings.
Old January 18th 11, 10:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2011 20:13, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Jan 16, 4:09 pm, wrote:
Our dining table has suffered the ravages of family life for 20 years or
so and the top has quite a few dings and scratches. It's not
particularly valuable but the finish is very attractive so I'd prefer to
try to repair the scratches and refinish it - any suggestions about
where to get the necessary info?

Bennett's "Discovering and Restoring Antique Furniture" is about the
best general how-to
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/030434740X/codesmiths
Most antique restoration books are _not_ to be trusted, especially not
for wood finishes.

The "steam ironing" technique is worth trying for dent removal and
some scratches, so long as you're already having to deal with (white)
hot water rings.

It isn't an antique so I believe the finish is likely to be lacquer.

There aren't any rings - just scratches on the (rather nice) table top
and on the chair legs. From the figuring it must be a veneered top.
I'm starting to think that this may not be a DIY job ... but I need to
find-out about the compatibility of different finishes, and also how
much a restorer would charge.
Old January 19th 11, 12:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 18, 9:40*pm, NoSpam wrote:
There aren't any rings - just scratches on the (rather nice) table top
and on the chair legs. From the figuring it must be a veneered top.
I'm starting to think that this may not be a DIY job ... but I need to
find-out about the compatibility of different finishes, and also how
much a restorer would charge.

Flexner's finishing book is about the best guide. Bit American, but a
good book.
Old January 19th 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

A quick fix might be a suitably coloured wax crayon rubbed over the
scratches. Very difficult to restore modern lacquers without stripping
and doing a total re-finish
Old January 27th 11, 11:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 4:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

Axminster do some furniture coloured wax repair sticks IIRC. They can
certainly make damage far less noticeable...

I think "less noticeable" is going to have to be the aim, rather than
fully refinishing it. Maybe a quick attack with 0000 wire wool, then a
combination of running some french polish into the smaller scratches and
some wax into the larger ones, then an overall zap with some decent polish.
Thanks for all the suggestions.