Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd Microwave issue

Every morning I make myself a Latte coffee, taking milk from the fridge, put
it in mug and heat in Microwave for 1 minute ... just to take fridge chill
off the milk before frothing.
Use the same mug every morning .. bought the thing on holiday years ago.

The milk comes up to about room temp ... mug is barley warm to touch,
(conduction from milk) handle does not warm at all.

3 weeks ago reached in and picked cup off ... and the handle was so hot it
gave me full thickness burns to 2 fingers .. actually burnt right into the
fingers put in the handle to pick it up.

These were serious burns .... along with a few choice words.

Even several minutes later the handle was too hot to touch, you could feel
heat from it more than inch away ... yet milk and rest of mug were normal
luke warm temp.

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

# Why only the once

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides of
microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 1:14*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
[...]

A film of something on the handle? (Maybe washing up liquid, milk -
something that would evaporate off after getting to a high temp in the
microwave).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

# Why only the once

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides
of microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a difference.

Any cracks in the handle or holes needed when the cup was fired? Water
might have got in and boiled.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2011 13:48, Peter Scott wrote:

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

# Why only the once

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides
of microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a difference.

Any cracks in the handle or holes needed when the cup was fired? Water
might have got in and boiled.

Peter Scott

I agree. Somehow water has soaked in to the ceramic within the handle.
Is it cracked?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes
writes
[...]

I'm no expert but you may have been the victim of localised superheating
within the contents, near the handle.

Googling for microwave oven "localised" super heating brings up quite a
few hits that may help.

Googling for "skin depth" in relation to microwaves might help more but
nothing near the top of my quick search was helpful.

It's also possible that your microwave just started working properly
after all these years, a half cup of milk in mine is toasty after just
30s (900W :-).
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message ...
[...]

Does it have a turntable, and was it working?
The microwave energy in the is very uneven within the cavity and the mug handle
might have been in a hot-spot.

I take it there was no gold-leaf under the glaze?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would go with this too: I had a mug where the glaze cracked
round one limb of the handle and if you left it soaking in water
overnight, enough worked its way in through the crack for it
to cause some significant fizzling-and-spurting of steam when
next used in the microwave.

"Peter Scott" wrote in message

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is

back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

# Why only the once

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched

the sides
of microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a

difference.

Any cracks in the handle or holes needed when the cup was

fired? Water
might have got in and boiled.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

As I'm sure you know, some glazes get really hot, presumably because they
are conductive

# Why only the once

Are you *absolutely* sure it was the usual mug?

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides of
microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a difference.

Damned if I know either

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 3:45*pm, "Graham." wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in m...
[...]

%Profound_observation%- Hide quoted text -

It has a turntable ... the only guess I could come up with was that
the handle had touched door or side and was not rotating .... but
still at a loss why the handle would get so hot.
It is just a plain handle ... ceramic , no splits .... and I still use
it every day ... only happened the once.
Scars still healing !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 7:39*pm, "newshound" wrote:
I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

As I'm sure you know, some glazes get really hot, presumably because they
are conductive

# Why only the once

Are you *absolutely* sure it was the usual mug?

100% certain .. it's my morning bucket of coffee mug ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 4 Jan,
"Rick Hughes" wrote:

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

Moisture in the handle (glaze crazed and taken out of dishwasher before
drying, or recently soaked) or contamination.

# Why only the once

Cos other times it was perfectly dry and clean.

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides of
microwave (unknown) ... but how would that make a difference.

If conducting could arc across, but unlikely to be the case.

One of my pint pots has done the same very occasionally. I put it down to
a porous handle.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:45 pm, "Graham." wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in
m...
[...]

I would hazard a guess that you perhaps put the mug in off-centre, but with
the handle dead in the centre so that whilst the mug was moving round
through the microwave field, the handle as relatively stationary and
consequently heated up a lot more than usual.

Easy enough to test. Let us know what happens.

Tim