Telephone cable stolen again

Old January 12th 11, 09:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Telephone cable stolen again

Hi All

In November I posted about the telephone cable to our village being stolen

Last Friday night same thing again

This time barely 50 metres of cable or so it seems from within the village
outside of a row of houses

Although Andy Burns may have more/different info

I have today got broadband and both phones back but neither phone is my
number

I even had a call from India to tell me my residential line was fixed now
and it took nearly 10 minutes to make the numpty understand it was a crossed
line

At least the BT business guy in the UK understood

My question is how expensive is fibre optic and the hardware at each end and
is fibre optic wirth stealing?

Regards

Old January 13th 11, 12:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC formulated on Wednesday :
My question is how expensive is fibre optic and the hardware at each end and
is fibre optic wirth stealing?

No, no scrap value that I am aware of - but then copper telephone cable
has none either, it has very little copper content.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old January 13th 11, 12:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:19:31 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

TMC formulated on Wednesday :
My question is how expensive is fibre optic and the hardware at each end and
is fibre optic wirth stealing?

No, no scrap value that I am aware of - but then copper telephone cable
has none either, it has very little copper content.

Fibre may have little scrap value, but that doesn't stop the thick
pikeys stealing it anyway, not knowing what it is...

--
Frank Erskine
Old January 13th 11, 01:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes
Hi All

In November I posted about the telephone cable to our village being stolen

Last Friday night same thing again

Move to, as they say in UKRM, a less pikey area

Nothing been nicked round here since the summer when they plunged half
of NW London into darkness

--
geoff
Old January 13th 11, 07:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 12, 8:30*pm, "TMC" wrote:
Hi All

In November I posted about the telephone cable to our village being stolen

Last Friday night same thing again

This time barely 50 metres of cable or so it seems from within the village
outside of a row of houses

Although Andy Burns may have more/different info

I have today got broadband and both phones back but neither phone is my
number

I even had a call from India to tell me my residential line was fixed now
and it took nearly 10 minutes to make the numpty understand it was a crossed
line

At least the BT business guy in the UK understood

My question is how expensive is fibre optic and the hardware at each end and
is fibre optic wirth stealing?

Regards

if its copper coated steel, adding notices to that effect _might_
deter people.

NT
Old January 13th 11, 08:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Jan 12, 8:30 pm, "TMC" wrote:
[...]

Assuming that the culprits are literate!

Peter Crosland

Old January 13th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry
Bloomfield scribeth thus
TMC formulated on Wednesday :
My question is how expensive is fibre optic and the hardware at each end and
is fibre optic wirth stealing?

No, no scrap value that I am aware of - but then copper telephone cable
has none either, it has very little copper content.

We've seen Mr Pikey nick Six inches of copper braiding recently.

You might wonder about the sense these people have it must have cost
them more in petrol than what they got as scrap;!..

Unless the petrol was half-inched as well;(..
--
Tony Sayer

Old January 13th 11, 10:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2011 20:30, TMC wrote:
Hi All

In November I posted about the telephone cable to our village being stolen

Last Friday night same thing again

This time barely 50 metres of cable or so it seems from within the
village outside of a row of houses

Although Andy Burns may have more/different info

I have today got broadband and both phones back but neither phone is my
number

I even had a call from India to tell me my residential line was fixed
now and it took nearly 10 minutes to make the numpty understand it was a
crossed line

At least the BT business guy in the UK understood

My question is how expensive is fibre optic and the hardware at each end
and is fibre optic wirth stealing?

A local industrial estate has had half a kilometre of phone cable
serving it taken on four separate occasions in the past six months and
that appparently has not justified the change. However, on the radio, BT
claimed to have installed monitors on the lines that will alert them if
they are cut again.

Colin Bignell
Old January 13th 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2011 09:31, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

A local industrial estate has had half a kilometre of phone cable
serving it taken on four separate occasions in the past six months and
that appparently has not justified the change. However, on the radio, BT
claimed to have installed monitors on the lines that will alert them if
they are cut again.

Perhaps a neat bit of Time-domain reflectometry so they can judge
exactly to the nearest metre where the wires have been cut, so they can
send some burly lads round?

--
Adrian C

Old January 13th 11, 10:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ "insertmysurnamehere@?.? scribeth thus
On 12/01/2011 20:30, TMC wrote:
[...]

And who are BT gonna call .. I wonder;?..
--
Tony Sayer

Cable Telephone Zen83237 UK diy 14 March 22nd 10 01:26 PM
telephone cable Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 October 5th 09 02:31 PM
Short in telephone cable blueman Home Repair 8 August 18th 08 04:43 AM
Cat 5e telephone cable? John Carlyle-Clarke UK diy 29 June 18th 06 09:16 PM
Telephone cable - which one do I need? JoeJoe UK diy 8 June 11th 05 04:35 PM