Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Water meter

I have never read our water meter before so I decided to check it. The
latest bill said" estimate".

Anyway, I lever up the cast iron cover and it doesn't look like it has
been read for years, but between the meter itself and the cover at
street level is a piece of white cable / pipe that leads up to
something epoxied into a plastic housing mounted in a hole in the
cover.

Am I right in assuming this provides some kind of means for them
reading the meter without lifting the cover?

How does that work then, 'cos it looks incredibly unsophisticated?

Cheers

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2011 10:53, Neil wrote:
I have never read our water meter before so I decided to check it. The
latest bill said" estimate".

Anyway, I lever up the cast iron cover and it doesn't look like it has
been read for years, but between the meter itself and the cover at
street level is a piece of white cable / pipe that leads up to
something epoxied into a plastic housing mounted in a hole in the
cover.

Am I right in assuming this provides some kind of means for them
reading the meter without lifting the cover?

How does that work then, 'cos it looks incredibly unsophisticated?

You don't say which water company you are with.
Up here, Yorkshire Water, they are starting to put automated meter
reading devices in; AIUI, it's done by a wireless device and they can
read about 6 at one go without getting out of the van.
YW info at: http://www.yorkshirewater.com/newmeter

Allan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:05:54 +0000, Allan
wrote:

On 16/01/2011 10:53, Neil wrote:
[...]

It's Bournemouth and West Hants. The meter doesn't look at nice as the
one in that photo though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 16, 10:53*am, Neil wrote:
I have never read our water meter before so I decided to check it. The
latest bill said" estimate".

Anyway, I lever up the cast iron cover and it doesn't look like it has
been read for years, but between the meter itself and the cover at
street level is a piece of white cable / pipe that leads up to
something epoxied into a plastic housing mounted in a hole in the
cover.

Am I right in assuming this provides some kind of means for them
reading the meter without lifting the cover?

How does that work then, 'cos it looks incredibly unsophisticated?

Cheers

Neil

I saw a device (years ago that) that counted the revolutions of the
needle on a standard meter. I think it worked on the same principle
as the old mice.

Water meter mogga UK diy 44 December 2nd 09 07:01 PM
water meter - saving water Janet Tweedy UK diy 43 February 19th 09 11:27 AM
My tenants had a water meter installed, I want unmetered water back. Charlie UK diy 26 August 9th 06 12:41 PM
Replace water line and valve to bldg from water meter - HOW Stromer2 Home Repair 4 October 19th 04 04:52 PM
Does having an Expansion Tank on your Water Heater make the water meter move? Cameron Home Repair 6 July 3rd 04 02:21 AM