Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default oil/grease on washing from the washing machine

As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

TIA

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:51:08 +0000, Dave wrote:

As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

I'd put my money on a failed seal on the drum bearing...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of the
washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The spots
are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I have not
yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your comments about
what is the source.

Probably the drum bearing seals which if so means the bearings themselves
are on borrowed time.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 6:27*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:51:08 +0000, Dave wrote:
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

I'd put my money on a failed seal on the drum bearing...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

With our machine it was a build up of black sludge in the door seal.
Stretch out the seal and you will probably find it.
I think it is due to the new low temperature detergents which do not
clean the machine unlike the old 60deg ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 5:51*pm, Dave wrote:
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

TIA

Dave

If the door seal/tub shell gasket is black, it may have perished and
made the mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 5:51 pm, Dave wrote:
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

TIA

Dave

If the door seal/tub shell gasket is black, it may have perished and
made the mark.

Has this happened on more than one wash?
Possibility of the mark on prior to wash and wash not sufficient to clean it
off.

In any case I would run another couple of washes before attempting a repair
if only to confirm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 12:51*pm, Dave wrote:
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

TIA

Dave

means machine is in need of a major clean. Teh dirt isnt visible by
peering in the drum. Se the wiki article on washing machine smells.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2011 19:36, chudford wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:27 pm, Bob wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:51:08 +0000, Dave wrote:
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

I'd put my money on a failed seal on the drum bearing...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

With our machine it was a build up of black sludge in the door seal.
Stretch out the seal and you will probably find it.
I think it is due to the new low temperature detergents which do not
clean the machine unlike the old 60deg ones.

Went to the local repair anything shop this morning and he suggested it
was a dirty washing machine, as we wash almost anything on the lowest
temperatures. I'm half way through a cleaning procedure at the moment.
Second half will be tomorrow. He did say that it was very unlikely to be
a bearing leak though, as the water is trying to get out of the bearing
in the opposite direction.

Dave

washing machine [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 9th 07 07:24 PM
Washing machine.... kev007 UK diy 7 December 14th 06 10:13 AM
Washing machine timer grease John B UK diy 11 July 19th 06 01:08 AM
Washing machine not washing Carl Home Repair 2 March 6th 04 06:32 PM