How long does it take to thaw out an underground pipe?

Old December 30th 10, 04:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long does it take to thaw out an underground pipe?

TheOldFellow wrote:

Incidentally, do I have a complaint against United Utilities as my
stopcock is only 15" below the road? I realise that the pipe from
there to my stopcock is my responsibility.

That's bad - a depth where it could easily freeze.

Let's say that I do have to replace the pipe. Can I bring it into the
house at the end futhers from the kitchen sink, and take it (lagged
with the right stuff) through the roof to the serve the various taps
and the HW tank? Or does it have to come up under the sink?

You can take it in where you like. The sink is only traditional as that is
the first device served before it heads upstairs in many, especially older,
houses.

I would advice to stick a 1/4 turn lever valve (full bore 15mm or 22mm) on
on the first foot or so out of the floor inside so you can isolate as much
pipe as possible from a convenient position.

If you did run a new pipe, I personally would run a larger size (equivalent
to 22mm copper in bore - 28mm MDPE I think(?) to allow for a better flow -
you never know in the future if that would be helful and the material cost
difference is small.

If I can do that, I still have to cut through the tarmac, but it's the
shortest route to the inside. The stopcock would be in the attached
garage though.

R.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Watts
Old December 30th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
My previous thread about my frozen supply pipe elicited no helpful
suggestions, frankly just as I expected. There just isn't any way to
thaw out a pipe in the ground.

So now it's 4 days later, and the air temperature here has been above 4
for all that time, even at night, and most days above 6. Pits dug
around the garden in the likely places have not found the pipe yet, but
do confirm that the ground is NOT frozen now - at any depth.

I've checked that the stopcock in the road is OK, and that there is
nothing impeding flow at the house. The pit was full of ice on Monday,
but has been clear since I cooked that out with boiling water.

Does anyone know how long it will take to thaw a pipe, or does this
sound like a 'hire a digger' job?

Much appreciate some help on this, as watching SWMBO with the bucket of
her head going to the village pump is getting boring.

R.

Possible solution if we're talking about metal pipes. During the cold winter
of 1963 I was living in digs and either the supply pipe to the house or the
main under the pavement froze. The Electricity Board (as it then was) turned
up with a welding generator, connected it between the stop tap in one house
and the stop tap next door and put enough current through the pipes to
unfreeze them in quick time. But no good, I'm afraid, if you're on plastic.

Stephen

Old December 30th 10, 10:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying
something like:

Listening sticks, halfway down page.
http://www.msfengineering.co.uk/products.asp?id=1

Ffs, will you snip?
Old December 30th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember TheOldFellow
saying something like:

My previous thread about my frozen supply pipe elicited no helpful
suggestions, frankly just as I expected. There just isn't any way to
thaw out a pipe in the ground.

So now it's 4 days later,

My neighbour's supply pipe has only just thawed out, some five days
after a -17C night. I don't know what depth it was buried at, but I
suspect it was only a foot or so and it had been concreted over (a
farmyard).
Old December 31st 10, 02:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The biggest problem with underground pipes is not freezing but ground
heave due to frost.

No, it is not.
Old December 31st 10, 11:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:11:15 +0000
Tim Watts wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:

Incidentally, do I have a complaint against United Utilities as my
stopcock is only 15" below the road? I realise that the pipe from
there to my stopcock is my responsibility.

That's bad - a depth where it could easily freeze.

And indeed that is where it had frozen. Five kettles of boiling beck
water, sucked out with a wet'n'dry vac when it got cold.

Sounds of rushing water!

Said 15" pit is now filled with (removable) insulation.
New job on list: fit new deep large bore mains water feed.

Whoopeee Bath Morning!!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

R.

How do you thaw the underground supply water pipe. TheOldFellow[_2_] UK diy 12 December 28th 10 09:55 AM
insulating underground pipe stryped[_3_] Metalworking 4 December 30th 09 03:24 PM
Underground gas pipe Smarty Home Repair 7 November 2nd 06 04:58 PM
underground gas pipe tonyb UK diy 4 November 4th 05 07:21 PM
Need help with underground pipe leak. Noel Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 03:57 PM