Davey P

Default advice require about wiring of fitted electric oven

Hi everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice about the wiring of an electric oven
(which has a separate gas hob)...

I recently bought a house that came with a fairly modern fitted
kitchen.

Last week I needed an extra plug socket adding to the lounge and got a
local electrician in to do the job. After he had removed the fuse for
the downstairs mains ring circuit, I noticed that the electric oven
also went off. I mentioned this to the electrician (because I'd
always assumed ovens had to be on their own separate thicker cable)
and he said that it wasn't safe to use the oven as it would be drawing
too much power from the ring circuit.

Anyway, I've since spoken to a few more people who are either
electricians or know about home electrics and they are saying the
opposite! Although there's nothing wrong with having the oven on a
separate circuit, our oven is in fact safe to use on the mains ring.
We've certainly not had any problems using it since we moved into the
house 7 months ago.

Could anyone please give me some more advice?

The mains ring circuit is rated 30amp, with a 30amp fuse in the
fusebox. The oven is wired in to the circuit via a spur and has it's
own 13amp fuse. The wiring of the spur is correct.

The oven is a Homark (model 700105) with the following specs:

conventional oven: 1.8kW
full width grill: 1.8kW
bottom element: 1.0kW
top element: 0.8kW
oven fan: 0.03kW

....to my mind, the most we could use is about 1.8kW (either with the
grill on full, or the top/bottom elements on, of the conv oven on).

Are we safe to use the oven?

Many many thanks for any help!

regards
Davey P
Christian McArdle

...to my mind, the most we could use is about 1.8kW (either with the
grill on full, or the top/bottom elements on, of the conv oven on).

It will probably be absolutely fine. When my cooker goes in, the electric
oven will be off the ring main. However, you may have issues if the ring is
already highly loaded. In my case, the ring will only supply sockets for
portable appliances in the kitchen and the oven. All laundry appliances and
the dishwasher have their own circuit. This means that the 1.8kW load is
almost the only thing on there. Other high loads will be transient, such as
kettles, irons, toasters etc.

The 1.8kW load of your oven won't even be full time. Once the oven is up to
temperature, the thermostat turns the elements off. The duty cycle might not
be that high.

Christian.

David W.E. Roberts

"Davey P" wrote in message
Hi everyone

snip
The mains ring circuit is rated 30amp, with a 30amp fuse in the
fusebox. The oven is wired in to the circuit via a spur and has it's
own 13amp fuse. The wiring of the spur is correct.

snip
If the fuse rating is correct for the oven, then surely it is fine on a
normal circuit which has 13 Amp plugs?
Subject to the maximum number of plugs per circuit, of course :-)

Christian McArdle

The mains ring circuit is rated 30amp, with a 30amp fuse in the
fusebox.

One thing that really would improve safety is to replace this museum piece
with a proper consumer unit with MCBs and RCBOs (or an RCD).

Christian.

Davey P

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:27:54 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

One thing that really would improve safety is to replace this museum piece
with a proper consumer unit with MCBs and RCBOs (or an RCD).

Cheers for all the replies :-)

We're saving up to do some improvements to the house, which will
include getting a modern unit fitted - preferably not in the cellar,
which is accessed via a trapdoor and means moving furniture!

The only appliances that we've got downstairs that would draw a lot of
power from the ring would be the washing machine, tumble dryer, a
microwave combi oven, and a kettle - so I'll make sure we don't have
them all going on full whack at the same time!

regards
Davey P

Christian McArdle

The only appliances that we've got downstairs that would draw a lot of
power from the ring would be the washing machine, tumble dryer, a
microwave combi oven, and a kettle

When you have the consumer unit replaced, consider installing a 32A radial
for the laundry appliances.

Christian.

Bob Eager

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:18:11 UTC, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

"Davey P" wrote in message
Hi everyone

snip
The mains ring circuit is rated 30amp, with a 30amp fuse in the
fusebox. The oven is wired in to the circuit via a spur and has it's
own 13amp fuse. The wiring of the spur is correct.

snip
If the fuse rating is correct for the oven, then surely it is fine on a
normal circuit which has 13 Amp plugs?
Subject to the maximum number of plugs per circuit, of course :-)

What maximum number?

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

BillR

Davey P wrote:
[...]

I believe this is fine. Where you would need a separate heavier cable would
be for an elec hob which potentially can take far more current.