Replacement mitre saw blade - how many teeth ?

Old December 6th 10, 03:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement mitre saw blade - how many teeth ?

HI Folks
I have an elderly 'Performance pro' mitre/chop saw,
with the original (brutal!) blade - which is 254 x 30 x 32t.

It's grand for chopping up 4x2 for roof supports - but lacks finesse for
'posh' work.

I want to get a decent (square) cut edge on some laminate flooring -
so was looking for a replacement blade with finer teeth.

Seems that this blade can be obtained in 40t, 60t and 80t -
(all on Amazon) what's recommended for general 'fine' use ?
I'd appreciate your suggestions (I'll be keeping the original 32t
blade for 'rough' work).

Thanks
Adrian

Old December 6th 10, 03:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:35:21 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

HI Folks
I have an elderly 'Performance pro' mitre/chop saw,
with the original (brutal!) blade - which is 254 x 30 x 32t.

It's grand for chopping up 4x2 for roof supports - but lacks finesse for
'posh' work.

I want to get a decent (square) cut edge on some laminate flooring -
so was looking for a replacement blade with finer teeth.

Seems that this blade can be obtained in 40t, 60t and 80t -
(all on Amazon) what's recommended for general 'fine' use ?
I'd appreciate your suggestions (I'll be keeping the original 32t
blade for 'rough' work).

Angle grinder, of course.

--
Frank Erskine
Old December 6th 10, 04:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HI Folks
I have an elderly 'Performance pro' mitre/chop saw,
with the original (brutal!) blade - which is 254 x 30 x 32t.

It's grand for chopping up 4x2 for roof supports - but lacks finesse for
'posh' work.

I want to get a decent (square) cut edge on some laminate flooring -
so was looking for a replacement blade with finer teeth.

Seems that this blade can be obtained in 40t, 60t and 80t -
(all on Amazon) what's recommended for general 'fine' use ?
I'd appreciate your suggestions (I'll be keeping the original 32t
blade for 'rough' work).

Angle grinder, of course.

Would that be with 40, 60 or 80 grit abrasive?

Bob
Old December 6th 10, 04:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

I want to get a decent (square) cut edge on some laminate flooring -
so was looking for a replacement blade with finer teeth.

Seems that this blade can be obtained in 40t, 60t and 80t -
(all on Amazon) what's recommended for general 'fine' use ?
I'd appreciate your suggestions (I'll be keeping the original 32t
blade for 'rough' work).

More teeth equal better finish. Get the 80 teeth, but only use it on
fine work, not chopping up 3x2.

Alan.
Old December 7th 10, 01:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2010 13:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/12/2010 15:35, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
I have an elderly 'Performance pro' mitre/chop saw,
with the original (brutal!) blade - which is 254 x 30 x 32t.

It's grand for chopping up 4x2 for roof supports - but lacks finesse for
'posh' work.

I want to get a decent (square) cut edge on some laminate flooring -
so was looking for a replacement blade with finer teeth.

Seems that this blade can be obtained in 40t, 60t and 80t -
(all on Amazon) what's recommended for general 'fine' use ?
I'd appreciate your suggestions (I'll be keeping the original 32t
blade for 'rough' work).

I would say 60 is plenty for fine work unless you are cutting very small
parts (skimpy picture frame mouldings say). I have a 60 tooth TCT blade
on mine and find that is fine for finish work on mouldings like cornice
or architrave and also general cutting.

Thanks John....

Not planning in getting into picture-framing g -
but the original blade's a bit 'agricultural' for anything that's going
to be on show....

Adrian
Old December 7th 10, 02:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 1:30*pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

More teeth equals finer and smoother. But number of teeth isnt the
only factor, and I suspect that's why your 32 teeth blade gives a
rough finish. 40 teeth ought to be plenty for a perfect finish. More
will just make the saw cut slower.

NT

burned teeth on new blade JohnB Woodworking 13 June 10th 07 03:27 AM
Variable teeth 10" table circular saw blade? # Fred # Woodworking 3 August 12th 06 12:20 AM
Saw Blade Teeth - Cold Saw Cutting Thin Wall Tubing Alex Metalworking 8 May 19th 06 09:03 AM
TS blade teeth foggytown Woodworking 5 December 5th 05 11:23 PM
I need a new saw blade for my mitre saw? Guy LaRochelle Woodworking 13 February 22nd 04 02:57 AM