Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjusting draughty double glazing

I've noticed there's a strong draught coming through one of our double
glazed windows, between the opening light and the frame. It seems like
the opener has been fitted in the wrong place so it doesn't close up
tightly against the rubber seal/frame.

Picture here if it helps:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1244/windowd.jpg

Is there any way to adjust these? I've had a look and it seems that
the part of the hinge that fixes to the frame sits in a channel so
can't be adjusted/moved. The only option I can see is to remove the
hinge from the opener and refix closer to the outside face of the
opener. But I'm worried that the new hole positions may be too close
or partly overlap the old ones.

Any advice/experience appreciated.

(The windows were fitted before we bought the house and are long out
of guarantee.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 9, 5:41*pm, John Rumm wrote:

We have a few that do that. The problem is basically down to the hinge
wearing and becoming a bit "sloppy". On each hinge there is a pointy bit
at the top of the bit fixed to the window - these are supposed to locate
in matching lugs on the top of the other bit of the hinge. You will
probably find if you open it to about 40 degrees, and twist the window
such that you are pulling in the top of the frame in on one side, and
then close it, it will go tight again. The tricky bit is getting both
sides to engage at the same time. It can be done with a bit of "opening
just enough" and twisting / pulling etc.

The proper cure is a new hinge. If they are like ours, then toolstation
do some that match. Top hung friction hinge:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hard...e/Top+Hung+Fri...

Note there are a choice of widths as well as lengths. You can see the
pointy bit in the picture. Once the hinge gets sloppy enough to allow
this to sit outside of its little hat, you get the gap.

Thanks for that John. Excellent info.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 9, 10:54*pm, Mr Fuxit wrote:

The pointy bit at the top of the window needs lubing; Vaseline is
ideal. When they
slide into place easily the window will shut properly.

It's not getting near enough for Vaseline to make any difference,
unfortunately.

Adjusting Double glazed windows Dwill UK diy 2 January 5th 10 01:22 PM
Adjusting a upvc window - is it possible as it has a draughty gap atthe edge! Mikeyboy UK diy 6 August 8th 09 09:32 PM
Double Glazing Red Devil UK diy 4 January 2nd 08 09:25 PM
Double Glazing - not the best ... CJB UK diy 2 December 23rd 07 01:13 AM
Double Glazing Help SimonW UK diy 7 April 26th 07 02:07 AM