Capitol

Default Building a garage above public sewer (UK)

Not sure about the depths, but building on a 6" thick slab would only
require minimal excavation.Don't plan on a pit! Alternatively for a single
garage, you could use pile foundations in some form or other with a
reinforced concrete link frame to build walls upon. Hope this helps.
Regards
Capitol

Nigel Jones wrote in message ...
I have submitted plans to build a single garage above what has now
turned out to be a pair of sewers 1m apart
- 300mm surface water
- 150mm waste

The 150mm waste in particular appears to run damn close to directly
underneath, and parallel to where one of the garage walls was
proposed, the other will just be underneath the main part of the
garage. There are no manhole covers under the proposed garage, the
nearest being approx 1.25m away from the garage rear wall. There is
only approx .5m space outside the proposed garage that is still our
land.

Currently a car is parked here. We had wanted a brick garage. This
requires reasonable foundations and I'm not sure whether we have any
realistic options especially as the pipe is parallel

We alternatively are considering a wooden built garage to propose as
the construction is lighter. Would this make things smoother?

The invert of both is listed at around "25" - is this 25" deep
perhaps? I have no idea!

An alternative is of course to entirely rejig the plans....

What are the realistic chances of being permitted to build here - we
would have to submit an application to Southern Water if we decided to
try.

What else should we consider/do/propose/find out about!

Thanks
Nigel
nigel at planetf1 .... .worldonline.co.uk

rob w

(Nigel Jones) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I built a garage over a sewer and we were told dig the foundations
deep enough to uncover the sewer and then cover the pipework with
"jablite" polystyrene and fill the trench with concrete over the
sewer. We had to dig about 7 feet deep trench and step it back up to
normaldepth it used a lot of concrete. Talk to the building control
dept at the local council ive found them very helpful at queries like
this.Rob
Don Phillips

"JD" wrote in message
. ..
If these are just srvicing your residence then you may build over them as
long as you take the necessary precautions. I can't say what is required

for
your foundation because I have no idea what your frost line is or what

your
code says. You will likely have to frame it so that the wall directly

above
an parallel to one of the pipes is non-bearing.

If the lines are for public use (mains) then you should have an easement

on
your property and will not be allowed to build.

As always, there may be exceptions.

If there is an easement, you should talk to the City Engineer. You may be
able to build over it. In the US, the owner is liable for the cost of the
easement owner accessing the underground utilities. It could mean your
garage is damaged when the sewer is repaired some day and you would be
responsible for the added cost of them dealing with your garage as well as
the cost of repairing the garage. However, with no manhole nearby, the City
Engineer can work with to determine if you can built and what restrictions
and risks you will be facing.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E.
Worthington Engineering, Inc.