Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Isolating valve for flexible tap tails

I have bought a tap with 2 flexible tails (rubber washer for the seating in
the connection).

I want to fit isolation valves - the ones I have seen have compression
fittings at each end. I presume I want something a bit different to attach
the flexible. Any pointers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I have bought a tap with 2 flexible tails (rubber washer for the
seating in the connection).

I want to fit isolation valves - the ones I have seen have compression
fittings at each end. I presume I want something a bit different to
attach the flexible. Any pointers?

Do the flexibles screw into the tap at one end and have a female with a
rubber washer at the other.

Like the connector on the left end here
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2807/p29829

If so the female will fit straight onto the isolating valve & seal.

If your flexibles end in compression fittings then a short piece of copper
tube will sort it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Like the connector on the left end herehttp://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Flexible+Connectors/Flexible...

If so the female will fit straight onto the isolating valve & seal.

If your flexibles end in compression fittings then a short piece of copper
tube will sort it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

mmm
I asked a similar one not so long ago on here - Tim W had this

"I don't think that would be a good idea. The rubber washer in teh
flexi
expects a flat shoulder on the mating fitting. The shoulder on a
compression
joint tends to be sharper and not designed for washers.

I had the same dilemma when swapped a ballcock from a stupid plastic
threaded bit of crap to a proper one with a solid brass thread.
The plastic one was designed for a tap connector (not much else they
could
do) and the brass one for a compression joint to pipe and it had a
very
sharp shoulder. Don't think a rubber washer would have lasted very
long..."

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

In which case use washing machine taps:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51231/...ut-Check-Valve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/51231/...chine-Accs/Flo...

erm... the 3/4" bit might cause a slight (1/4") prob? ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
John wrote:
I have bought a tap with 2 flexible tails (rubber washer for the
seating in the connection).

I want to fit isolation valves - the ones I have seen have compression
fittings at each end. I presume I want something a bit different to
attach the flexible. Any pointers?

Do the flexibles screw into the tap at one end and have a female with a
rubber washer at the other.

Like the connector on the left end here
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum.../sd2807/p29829

If so the female will fit straight onto the isolating valve & seal.

If your flexibles end in compression fittings then a short piece of copper
tube will sort it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Yes - female threaded nut - washer inside. I guess like a tap fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

My concern (perhaps I had subliminally seen it earlier):

"I don't think that would be a good idea. The rubber washer in the flexi
expects a flat shoulder on the mating fitting. The shoulder on a
compression joint tends to be sharper and not designed for washers.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 6:10*pm, "John" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Flexi onto isolating valve has always worked fine for me. If necessary
look at a couple of brands of compression isolating valves. The ones
I've used do have a smaller surface to contact with the rubber washer,
but they are certainly not sharp, and unless you really went for it
with a wrench, wouldn't cut through the rubber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I have bought a tap with 2 flexible tails (rubber washer for the seating
in the connection).

I want to fit isolation valves - the ones I have seen have compression
fittings at each end. I presume I want something a bit different to attach
the flexible. Any pointers?

You can also get pushfit ones. These days I tend to use the ones with a
proper "lever" rather than the screw head: I find these easier to operate.
The "butterfly" type, e.g. BES part 11775 or Screwfix 21860 are fairly
compact. You might also look at BES "mini ball valves" which are threaded
each end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:10 pm, "John" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Exactly my experience. Never had a problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:10 pm, "John" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I am not missing something then.

Flexible Tap Tails Stuart UK diy 9 May 15th 06 05:57 PM
Flexible tap tails with valves Colin Wilson UK diy 2 November 5th 05 03:43 PM
connecting flexible tap tails urchaidh UK diy 2 October 21st 05 03:31 PM
flexible tap tails thread pitches urchaidh UK diy 3 October 8th 05 12:21 AM
Isolating or Gate valve? Allan UK diy 6 October 22nd 04 04:47 PM