Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Stair carpet just on the treads

Has anyone got any experience of this, ie just having the carpet on the
treads, not the usual 'waterfall' carpet? We have a very nice oak staircase
which at the moment is covered by carpet completely. My ideal would just be
to have it as wood, but I'm worried it will be slippery and very noisy. Any
thoughts appreciated.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't, it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

On 27/10/2010 14:02, GB wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of this, ie just having the carpet on the
treads, not the usual 'waterfall' carpet? We have a very nice oak staircase
which at the moment is covered by carpet completely. My ideal would just be
to have it as wood, but I'm worried it will be slippery and very noisy. Any
thoughts appreciated.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_14976.htm

is one solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2010 14:02, GB wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of this, ie just having the carpet on the
treads, not the usual 'waterfall' carpet? We have a very nice oak staircase
which at the moment is covered by carpet completely. My ideal would just be
to have it as wood, but I'm worried it will be slippery and very noisy. Any
thoughts appreciated.

I think you need *something* on it.

If you put individual pieces of carpet on the treads, they'll need
fixing down well, and will also need to be taken round the nose of each
step, and stapled on the underside - otherwise they'll be a trip hazard.

Have you thought of using a strip of carpet (waterfall fashion ) which
is narrower than the staircase, and held in place by stair-rods. That
way, you will still see a few inches of oak either side of the carpet.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

PJ wrote:
On 27/10/2010 14:02, GB wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of this, ie just having the carpet on
the treads, not the usual 'waterfall' carpet? We have a very nice
oak staircase which at the moment is covered by carpet completely.
My ideal would just be to have it as wood, but I'm worried it will
be slippery and very noisy. Any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_14976.htm

is one solution.

Hmm, not quite the elegant solution I was looking for

I was thinking about Roger's suggestion, and I just wondered if there is any
alternative.

Thank you both.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 2:02*pm, "GB" wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of this, ie just having the carpet on the
treads, not the usual 'waterfall' carpet? We have a very nice oak staircase
which at the moment is covered by carpet completely. My ideal would just be
to have it as wood, but I'm worried it will be slippery and very noisy. *Any
thoughts appreciated.

A good non-slip flooring varnish works.

NT

Stair treads GMM UK diy 14 April 20th 09 12:39 AM
Stair treads by T & G Arthur 51 UK diy 22 July 19th 07 07:55 PM
Wear on Stair Treads Jerome Ranch Woodworking 15 July 6th 06 06:56 PM
Oak stair treads - Help Please Tom H Woodworking 6 November 27th 05 01:41 PM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 10th 04 12:54 AM