Satellite dish positioning

Old October 28th 10, 11:46 AM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Default Satellite dish positioning

In article , spam-no-
lid says...

Terry Casey writes:

Looking at some on-line alignment info, it looks as though for the
Freesat satellite the dish needs to point almost exactly parallel to
surface of the wall, which might attenuate the signal pretty badly
depending on things like possible refraction.

So long as it is parallel to or angled slightly away from the wall, you
shouldn't have a problem - the beam width is very narrow.

A guesstimate based on eyeballing a Google map suggest that the wall is
in a plane about 40 degrees counterclockwise from due south, i.e. about
140 degrees.
The satellite data says it is at 143 degrees, which would put it 3
degrees behind solid sandstone :-(

The satellite data will be WRT true north but, if the map data
originates from the Ordnance Survey, it will be WRT grid north, so you
may not be comparing like with like ...

.... and you did say 'about 40 degrees'! How accurate is 'about'? After
all, a 3 degree discrepancy could mean the difference between success
and disaster ...!

You may find this useful:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...SatelliteCalcu
lator.php

or

http://tinyurl.com/3afzpuw

This uses Google maps but, if you enter your OS grid reference or
PostCode, you also have the option of using OS maps.

If the position is not quite accurate, you can drag the dish location
around the map. At maximum zoom, the OS shows the outlines of buildings,
which might be particularly useful to you ...!

--

Terry
Old October 28th 10, 12:25 PM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The bearing will be correct no matter the time of year

That's not true, unless you read the time from a sundial rather than a
mechanical clock. The eccentricity of the earth's orbit and the fact
that the sun does not stay exactly within the plane of the equator mean
that sun time varies from human time by up to 16 minutes, which
corresponds to an error in the bearing of up to 4 degrees.

See http://www.sundials.co.uk/equation.htm

-- Richard
Old October 28th 10, 06:46 PM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

(Richard Tobin) writes:

Have you tried one of the sites that superimposes the direction to
satellites on top of Google Maps? E.g.
http://www.dishpointer.com

I'll try that. The map I was using showed a line but not its compass
heading, which by inaccurate eyeball was approx. 140 degrees.

--
Windmill, Use m a i l
@ r m i l l
Old October 28th 10, 10:34 PM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

(Richard Tobin) writes:

Have you tried one of the sites that superimposes the direction to
satellites on top of Google Maps? E.g.
http://www.dishpointer.com

Tried that one; it's better than the one I used before. It shows that
the line-of-sight to the satellite is about 0.1 degree more than the
angle of the rear, NE side, of the building (just guessing, it barely
converges with the rear of the building over a distance of about six
stairs spacing; maybe 500 feet).

Amazing coincidence.

So if the dish is fixed a few feet from the wall it _should_ work.

Thanks for the pointer.
--
Windmill, Use m a i l
@ r m i l l
Old October 28th 10, 10:40 PM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:49:26 GMT, Windmill wrote:

The problem is that the satellite might be out of view, just barely,
_behind_ the side of the wall.

At this time of year the sun is roughly in the same position as the
constellation of satellites for Freesat/Sky etc about 0920 GMT (1020
BST)(*). Anywhere that is clearly sunlit at that time should be able
to see the satellites. Dish mounts do let you peek a dish around a
corner.

It's a very very close thing, but there is one (only one) other dish
along the whole length of the street i.e. in about 100 rear-facing
flats.
So either possible, or the dish owner has been disappointed.

Might have to build a contraption to space the dish away from the wall.

--
Windmill, Use m a i l
@ r m i l l
Old October 29th 10, 12:09 AM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

(Richard Tobin) writes:

Have you tried one of the sites that superimposes the direction to
satellites on top of Google Maps? E.g.
http://www.dishpointer.com

Just had another look, to reconfirm that a dish will probably work.

Amusingly it tells me that my nearest satellite installer is in
Mississauga, Canada !

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Old October 29th 10, 12:39 PM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Sam Wilson wrote:

This is probably a bad idea since I know almost nothing about how radio
waves propagate at sat-TV frequencies, but is there any chance of
getting a reflection of something at the other side or at the end of the
block?

I don't think that works. For expert advice try uk.tech.digital-tv.

-- Richard
Old October 29th 10, 08:30 PM posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y

Sam Wilson writes:

This is probably a bad idea since I know almost nothing about how radio
waves propagate at sat-TV frequencies,

Pretty much straight line, I think. Otherwise the airport surveillance
radars which show ATC/S where on the taxiways planes are on a foggy day
or after dark wouldn't be much use.
(I think that's called X band , or some such, running at frequencies
vaguely similar to satellite Ku band.)

but is there any chance of
getting a reflection of something at the other side or at the end of the
block?

Quite probably, but AIUI the direct signal is already very weak, having
travelled 22,400 miles.
I'm sure one could use a reflection if one used a 30 foot dish, say,
but......

I also assume you're not on the ground floor since you would
already have thought about mounting the dish on the ground away from the
wall, right?

One floor up.

I'm pondering where best to put the dish so the protruding [ shaped
attachment to the neighbouring drainpipe doesn't get in the way. But I
don't know the elevation above our horizontal of synchronous satellites
at our latitude.
About 30 degrees, I'm guessing. Obviously I will learn this along the
way!

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l

Positioning a satellite dish? Eddy[_2_] UK diy 13 February 11th 08 06:27 PM
Aiming Satellite Dish Buck Turgidson Electronics Repair 6 September 13th 07 12:29 PM
satellite dish JAT Electronics Repair 3 August 24th 05 12:55 AM
Siting a satellite dish using satellite eclipse with the sun Roger UK diy 8 October 15th 04 01:46 AM
Sony satellite dish - any use for it? Bruce Home Repair 7 January 4th 04 02:32 PM