Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone know about locks on UPVC doors?

I bought this house recently and it has a UPVC front door. The lock is a
bit of a nuisance because you have to turn the key twice, i.e., 360 degrees
x2.

I imagine this gives it an added level of "unpickability" or something,
yes?

My UPVC french windows also have an identical-looking lock, which only
requires one turn of the key.

My question is: Is there a lot of point in turning the front door key 720
degrees, when turning it 360 degrees seems to lock the door just fine?

Will turning the key a mere 360 degrees make it exactly as burglar-proof as
the french windows, which only require a 360-degree turn of the key?

If so, I will save myself a lot of hassle over the coming decades by
turning the front door key only 360 degrees!

PS I'm beginning to miss the old yale locks, as per my previous house! (No
key-turning required except on entry, and then only a few-degrees of turn!)

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 20:40, AL_n wrote:
[...]

Double throw locks are considerably more secure than single throw
because a villain would have to lever the door and frame apart by a much
larger distance to open the door - and this would be difficult if not
impossible.

In your situation, I'd be considering replacing the lock on the french
door with a double throw jobbie!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On Oct 4, 8:40*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

And consider upping any UPVC door locks too; watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote in news:8gus5jFonrU1
@mid.individual.net:

Double throw locks are considerably more secure than single throw
because a villain would have to lever the door and frame apart by a much
larger distance to open the door - and this would be difficult if not
impossible.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that this was what the double turn was all about.
Now they make sense to me. Are they also more secure against bump keys?

In your situation, I'd be considering replacing the lock on the french
door with a double throw jobbie!

I reckon so. I wonder how feasable that is.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 23:57, AL_n wrote:
Roger wrote in news:8gus5jFonrU1
@mid.individual.net:

Double throw locks are considerably more secure than single throw
because a villain would have to lever the door and frame apart by a much
larger distance to open the door - and this would be difficult if not
impossible.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that this was what the double turn was all about.
Now they make sense to me. Are they also more secure against bump keys?

Dunno. Probably not though, 'cos once you've got it turning, you can
probably turn it through two revelations.

In your situation, I'd be considering replacing the lock on the french
door with a double throw jobbie!

I reckon so. I wonder how feasable that is.

You should be able to find a double throw lock that's a direct
replacement for your existing lock. Take the lock out, and take it to a
locksmith to make sure you get one with all the right dimensions. Oh,
and make sure that there's space in the door frame to accommodate the
extra throw.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 17:12, Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/10/2010 23:57, AL_n wrote:

[...]

I imagine that going over the tumblers twice or more makes modern
electronic fobs a little less easy to foist. The actual dead bolts go
in with the turn of the handles so it isn't them.

As for the good old fashioned Yale; an hefty shove from the shoulder
would pop one quite easily and nobody outside the house would notice
hat was going on. Forget all that fiddling with plastic cards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 04/10/2010 23:57, AL_n wrote:
Roger wrote in news:8gus5jFonrU1
@mid.individual.net:

Double throw locks are considerably more secure than single throw
because a villain would have to lever the door and frame apart by a much
larger distance to open the door - and this would be difficult if not
impossible.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that this was what the double turn was all about.
Now they make sense to me. Are they also more secure against bump keys?

Dunno. Probably not though, 'cos once you've got it turning, you can
probably turn it through two revelations.

Nah, unless you were very skilled (or lucky) you would have to bump it
twice.

Unfortunately, locks that are easy to bump once are easy to bump twice. ;-(

OTOH Locks that are hard to bump once might well be impervious to being
bumped again with the same bump key. ;-)

upvc door locks brass monkey UK diy 9 May 3rd 13 01:57 AM
Rekey Lockout Services Los Angeles 323-678-2704 24 Hour Locksmithrekeying doors locks and locks installation moving in Home Repair 0 November 25th 08 12:04 AM
Composite Doors UK: Stable Doors, UPVC French Doors, ConcertinaDoors, Fibreglass Doors Modern Composite Doors Woodworking 0 April 24th 08 08:52 AM
UPVC locks chris 159 UK diy 12 September 22nd 06 10:16 PM
URGENT (ish) - uPVC door locks Nick Dobb UK diy 5 April 4th 06 10:07 PM