Aldi torque wrench - likely to be any good?

Old October 4th 10, 06:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi torque wrench - likely to be any good?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Jim K
Old October 4th 10, 06:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 18:22, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Many years ago, I was asked to test a domestic torque loader on our
calibrated instrument that we set them to, before torque loading
something on the aircraft. It was in a clean condition and I was
surprised at the accuracy of it. Just as good as the ones we used.

If you need it, my recommendation would to buy it and keep it clean and dry.

Dave
Old October 4th 10, 07:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Why do you need one? There are few things (collapsible one-shot
collars is one) that require to be assembled to an accurate torque.
Mostly the function of a torque wrench is to assemble a number of
fasteners to a _consistent_ torque. Short-term repeatability matters,
but accuracy isn't really that big a deal for most tasks.
Old October 4th 10, 08:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 10:22:40 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

I have one, seems to work. I use it for torqueing up wheel nuts when
swapping between the winter and summer sets. The wheels haven't
fallen off, yet. B-) They need something silly that is hard to
apply with a normal length ratchet, bar or, worse, the vechicle
supplied thing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old October 4th 10, 08:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 19:54, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim K wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Why do you need one?

er....the most obvious use ;)

I have an oldskool "bend the bar whilst watching the scale" one which
is a pain in confined spaces and has been easily knocked out of
adjustment over the years...

Jim K
Old October 4th 10, 09:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Why do you need one? There are few things (collapsible one-shot
collars is one) that require to be assembled to an accurate torque.
Mostly the function of a torque wrench is to assemble a number of
fasteners to a _consistent_ torque. Short-term repeatability matters,
but accuracy isn't really that big a deal for most tasks.

A lot of mechanics are very strong and a lot of the nuts and bolts -
especially when alloy cases came into common use - are easily broken or
stripped. Hence the other bike repairers friends, the helicoil and broken
stud extractor...

Well worth using a torque wrench so long as you make sure to set the gauge
properly, and, if in doubt, pull it with a spring balance just to make sure.

Mind you, some cylinder head bolts just feel silly tight when one tries to
get them to the figs you may find in a typically translated manual, so some
discretion and common sense may save you the odd embarrassing snap or strip.

Old October 4th 10, 09:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 6:22*pm, Jim K wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...ys3_15822.htm?

Jim K

I much prefer the bar that bends type, they really cant go wrong. The
pointer can be bent out of position, but even then its obvious enough
and you just subtract the offset.

NT
Old October 4th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 21:22, Spamlet wrote:
"Andy wrote in message
On 4 Oct, 18:22, Jim wrote:
[...]

I had to get a tyre changed in an emergency some time ago and the
apprentice did it. He got the impact gun and removed the wheel, changed
the tyre and fitted the wheel back using the impact gun. Went to get the
torque loader and checked the nuts without turning them, as the impact
gun had tightened the nuts up far higher than the recommended torque
load. I had them checked very urgently.

Dave

Old October 4th 10, 11:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

Well worth using a torque wrench so long as you make sure to set the gauge
properly, and, if in doubt, pull it with a spring balance just to make sure.

And check, check, check that you have the correct torque. I checked the
wheel hub to knuckle torque settings for my car several times, used a
torque wrench and ... broke the bolt because some numpty had added 70NM
to the correct torque setting when they wrote the service manual[1].

I found the correct torque setting of 100NM on line.

[1] I sometimes wonder if they do this for a little joke.
Old October 4th 10, 11:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 22:19, Dave wrote:

I had to get a tyre changed in an emergency some time ago and the
apprentice did it. He got the impact gun and removed the wheel, changed
the tyre and fitted the wheel back using the impact gun.

I haven't seen that happen in the last 10 years. Maybe it's going to a
decent tyre fitter, but I think they have generally got the message on
that one.

Time used to be that you needed a big long torque wrench to change
tyres. You didn't need to use it, just stood behind the guy with the
air wrench and swung it menacingly...

Impact wrench torque mark Metalworking 38 February 25th 08 12:49 PM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM