building regulations: bedroom windows

Old September 28th 10, 10:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default building regulations: bedroom windows

Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

Thanks for any information.

Gareth
Old September 28th 10, 10:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/10 21:05, Gareth wrote:

Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

Thanks for any information.

Gareth

It's to do with building regs, Part B:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...roveddocbvol1/

Have a look - bedrooms don't always need egress windows (that's the
technical name) but the document is fairly understandable.

I'm not surprised the "nation firm" guy didn't know...
Old September 28th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Sep, 21:05, Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. *The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. *The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

Thanks for any information.

Gareth

It depends on whether in your particular house, a means-of-escape
window is required in that particular room.

Generally second floor bedrooms do, or first floor 4.5m above ground
level, or if they open into another room (such as in an open plan
house) rather directly to a hallway leading to an exit door.

With unusual house layouts, the rules on this get complicated. You
would need to plough through the approved docs to be certain.

If a means of escape window is required - from memory it must have an
opening area at least 450mm high AND wide AND have an area greater
than 0.3 sq m, and be less than 1200mm above floor level.
Old September 28th 10, 10:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

At least one does, yes, unless there is some other way to escape.

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

That doesnt surprise me in the slightest.
Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

The BCO can force you to have a suitable window fitted. At your
considerable expense. If picked up in a survey, it will also result in a
downward negotiation on price when selling.

I would p[point out that the fire regulations are drawn up not by
government ministers, but by professional architects and fire officers
who understand what its like to see someone suffocate to death in a
house whilst they are in a ladder outside, with no hope of getting in to
rescue them.

Thanks for any information.

Gareth

Old September 28th 10, 11:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Sep, 21:05, Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

Thanks for any information.

Gareth

I don;t believe anyone can *make* you widen windows just to be 600mm

New build maybe - refurb nah not practical key phrases I've picked
"you have to work with what you got" "make it no worse than it
currently is"

I also don;t believe anyone will be that bothered even if the strict
letter of the Regs is deemed to have been broken.

Firemen on ladders have hammers don;t they?

Jim K
Old September 28th 10, 11:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GAP

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...buildingregs/t...

Have a look - bedrooms don't always need egress windows (that's the
technical name) but the document is fairly understandable.

I'm not surprised the "nation firm" guy didn't know...

FWIW, the regulations are different in Scotland and more often require
this level of escape size. Velux make a special window that opens in
two parts to meet this rule.

Graham

Old September 29th 10, 08:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:59:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

At least one does, yes, unless there is some other way to escape.

Such as a door? :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Old September 29th 10, 10:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Sep, 21:05, Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

The reason I ask is that I had a couple of people round to give me
quotes for some replacement windows. *The first bloke, an experienced
chap from a local firm, said I couldn't do what I wanted because the
regs state that bedroom windows need to have an opening of at least
600mm for an escape route. *The second chap, a young bloke with shiny
suit from a large national firm, didn't seem to know anything about this
rule.

Assuming the 1st bloke is correct, other than the increased risk of
burning to death, what would be the downside if ignoring the regs?

Thanks for any information.

Gareth

Regardless of regulations you need to think about your family's
safety.
If the hallway/landing was on fire, how would you get out of that room
is what you want to ask yourself? With standard window hinges, the
opening is made smaller as the window opens. You can get special, more
expensive, hinges where this problem is overcome. But if the opening
is too small, you/your familly could die just inches from safety.
Old September 29th 10, 10:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Not strictly DIY but I'm sure people here will know the answer.

Do bedroom windows have to have an opening at least 600mm wide?

At least one does, yes, unless there is some other way to escape.

Such as a door? *:-)

--
Frank Erskine

Not funny.

building regulations for outside loo sm_jamieson UK diy 3 July 4th 06 06:10 PM
Building Regulations jason UK diy 10 January 5th 06 10:40 PM
Building regulations for windows/fire saftey Mark UK diy 4 October 13th 04 07:43 PM
Building regulations - uPVC windows George Bray UK diy 1 November 12th 03 12:57 PM