Removing stains on an acrylic bath?

Old September 24th 10, 12:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing stains on an acrylic bath?

On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Old September 24th 10, 12:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 12:18*pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

If you really cant find any info on google, the following clean many
things off:
paraffin
ammonia
caustic soda
various acids, eg sulphuric, HCl, etc
cream cleaner

NT

Old September 24th 10, 01:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 04:14:40 -0700 (PDT), Tabby
wrote:

On Sep 24, 12:18*pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

If you really cant find any info on google, the following clean many
things off:
paraffin
ammonia
caustic soda
various acids, eg sulphuric, HCl, etc
cream cleaner

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Old September 24th 10, 07:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Interesting technique to have discovered, Matty.

I seem to recall 'making' 'brasso' with just cotton wool damped in white
spirit with a dash of ammonia. I'd have thought you'd typically need
something acidic on those items - unless you are in a soft water area I
suppose, but if there is a little mild 'grinding paste' in the real Brasso
as well, that might explain it.

Old September 24th 10, 07:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

".newman" wrote in message
news
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thinking about it: don't people treat their hair with peroxide first? In
which case you may find that will bleach your dye stains too. Our 'pound
shop' seems to have surprisingly large amounts of peroxide in all
strengths - some of which I thought were explosive! - next to its range of
hair dyes, so I reckon it would be worth a try.

Old September 24th 10, 11:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 6:21 am, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Interesting technique to have discovered, Matty.

I seem to recall 'making' 'brasso' with just cotton wool damped in white
spirit with a dash of ammonia. I'd have thought you'd typically need
something acidic on those items - unless you are in a soft water area I
suppose, but if there is a little mild 'grinding paste' in the real Brasso
as well, that might explain it.

I used to make patterns out of Perspex. I would make the desired shape
by gluing pieces of perspex together, and machine and sand into shape.
Then I would polish with Brasso to get a high gloss and pour two-part
moulding rubber over the pattern. I could then cast epoxy in the mould
and got a very polished finish.
So, I assume Perspex is the same as acrylic.
What I do know is that if you polish an acylic shower base with
Brasso, it will resist dirt for a long time.
Old September 25th 10, 01:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm,
Wonder if it's worth trying to polish my ancient plastic spectacle lenses
with it...

Cheers,

Old September 25th 10, 11:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

".newman" wrote in message
news
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thinking about it: don't people treat their hair with peroxide first? In
which case you may find that will bleach your dye stains too. Our 'pound
shop' seems to have surprisingly large amounts of peroxide in all
strengths - some of which I thought were explosive! - next to its range of
hair dyes, so I reckon it would be worth a try.

Brasso's the best thing m8, do the whole bath with some elbow grease,
you'll think
you have a new one

Old September 25th 10, 09:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"A Plumber" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Spamlet" wrote in message

".newman" wrote in message
news
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains, probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

Regards

Thinking about it: don't people treat their hair with peroxide first? In
which case you may find that will bleach your dye stains too. Our 'pound
shop' seems to have surprisingly large amounts of peroxide in all
strengths - some of which I thought were explosive! - next to its range
of hair dyes, so I reckon it would be worth a try.

Brasso's the best thing m8, do the whole bath with some elbow grease,
you'll think
you have a new one

And will it work on plastic spectacle lenses too?

PS: as it happens, the missus had left some shoe dye in the bath, so I put
some peroxide on it. One, it would not wet the dye, and two, even when
scrubbed with it, it did not bleach - but that was shoe dye not hair dye, so
may be OT. Will try the Brasso next.

Cheers,

Acrylic Bath Waste Thomarse UK diy 2 June 16th 08 08:36 AM
Cutting holes in acrylic bath LaserMark[_2_] UK diy 11 September 12th 07 01:14 PM
steel or acrylic bath? andy UK diy 24 January 10th 07 10:38 AM
Acrylic bath scuff-marks Bruce Hall UK diy 6 July 27th 06 07:15 AM
acrylic vs cast iron bath tub pat Home Repair 10 May 8th 05 07:43 PM