Tony Hayes

Default Sending mice on winter break!

We have a family of what I think are wood mice - but maybe outdoor loving
house mice! They are living in a stone wall about two metres away from the
back door and probably attracted by the fact that we put wild bird food on
the wall which they can pinch..........

Anyway, we have decided to move them on before they decide it's warmer in
the house and are looking for a suitable cheapish humane multi trap to try
and get them all together. We can then take them for a drive and let them
loose.

Any advice on traps or other methods of humanely removing them? I've found
a trap on www.trapman.co.uk for about £22 delivered but would prefer cheaper
if possible.

Thanks
Tony
TimM

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
We have a family of what I think are wood mice - but maybe outdoor loving
house mice! They are living in a stone wall about two metres away from

the
back door and probably attracted by the fact that we put wild bird food on
the wall which they can pinch..........

Anyway, we have decided to move them on before they decide it's warmer in
the house and are looking for a suitable cheapish humane multi trap to try
and get them all together. We can then take them for a drive and let them
loose.

Any advice on traps or other methods of humanely removing them? I've

found
a trap on www.trapman.co.uk for about £22 delivered but would prefer

cheaper
if possible.

Thanks
Tony

Screwfix sell a live mouse catcher

Dave Liquorice

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:04:17 -0000, Tony Hayes wrote:

We have a family of what I think are wood mice - but maybe outdoor
loving house mice!

Wood mice are brown, house mice grey.

... probably attracted by the fact that we put wild bird food on
the wall which they can pinch..........

Even if you do shift the current residents on it won't be long before
another lot move in with a reday food supply. Stop feeding the birds
in manner such that rodents can get at it.

We can then take them for a drive and let them loose.

It is illegal to release vermin on anothers property. Having said that
we trap and release our autumn immigrants but then we can put them up
on the fells 2 miles from anyone else. We used to release at the
bottom of our paddock, a couple of hundred yards away, but I have a
feeling they where back in the house before we were!

Any advice on traps or other methods of humanely removing them?

Not a multitrap but the Rentokil humane trap works, just make sure
that they don't spend to long inside or they will gnaw their way out
through the side starting at the central air hole. Best bait is
Nutella, peanut butter is good but goes rancid in less than a week.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

David W.E. Roberts

"TimM" wrote in message

"Tony Hayes" wrote in message
t...
[...]

My cat is a live mouse catcher - little b***er brings them in at 3 in the
morning, and then drops them on the bedroom carpet to play with them. I am
now also an expert live mouse catcher (in addition to being a dead mouse
flusher).
{No, we wouldn't like a trip out - thanks all the same]

Mecahnical means - we had a mouse in the loft for a while and tried that
humane trap - the one that balances then tips once the mouse is inside and
shuts the door. Never worked.

Talk to your local RSPCA and nature conservancy people - they may be able to
loan you a professional live trap.

Cheers
Dave R

Tony Hogarty

Tony Hayes wrote:

We have a family of what I think are wood mice - but maybe outdoor loving
house mice! They are living in a stone wall about two metres away from
the back door and probably attracted by the fact that we put wild bird
food on the wall which they can pinch..........

Anyway, we have decided to move them on before they decide it's warmer in
the house and are looking for a suitable cheapish humane multi trap to try
and get them all together. We can then take them for a drive and let them
loose.

Any advice on traps or other methods of humanely removing them? I've
found a trap on www.trapman.co.uk for about £22 delivered but would prefer
cheaper if possible.

Thanks
Tony

Try your local B&Q as I have just got one from there which worked very well
and was only £3 or £4.
--
Regards
Tony Hogarty

Grunff

Tony Hayes wrote:

Any advice on traps or other methods of humanely removing them? I've found
a trap on www.trapman.co.uk for about £22 delivered but would prefer cheaper
if possible.

Stop feeding them??

--
Grunff

Tim Mitchell

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Mecahnical means - we had a mouse in the loft for a while and tried that
humane trap - the one that balances then tips once the mouse is inside and
shuts the door. Never worked.

Talk to your local RSPCA and nature conservancy people - they may be able to
loan you a professional live trap.

I was once told that you can catch a mouse using the following idea -
tried it and much to my amazement it worked first time!

Take a small pyrex bowl and stick a blob of butter in the bottom (has to
be butter apparently, they don't like margarine. If butter fails try
chocolate spread.)
Place the bowl upside down on a board
Lift up one edge of the bowl and balance it on a 2p coin stood on its
edge.

The mouse crawls into the bowl to get at the butter, but any slight
movement of the bowl causes the 2p coin to fall over, trapping it inside
the bowl.
--
Tim Mitchell
Michael Mcneil

"Grunff" wrote in message

Stop feeding them??

That's the best advice. They are only staying where they can. If you put
them on unfamiliar territory they will try and get back or starve. It's
a matter of territorial rights and terrain experience. If they don't
have it they won't learn it.

If you get them in live traps and neglect their welfare they can quickly
die of cold and hunger/thirst. Quickly but not humanely. Put deadly
traps in or near the house. And poison inside somewhere safe from the
household. I'm not in favour of poison. But I would rather that than
mice. I have had experience of their infestation. It is folly to be
nice,
believe me.

Tony Hayes

Thanks for all your replies.

Can't think about killing the beggars, but no doubt that would chamge if
they got into the house!

Will certainly rethink the bird feeding habit - plans for bird table in the
offing!

Took a look at the B&Q humane trap - similar to that in the Screwfix
catalogue, but it has only room for one, so would have to transfer each
little critter to another container until I thought I'd got the lot! So it
looks as if I'll have to go for the multi trap - supposedly enough room for
30. I can think of a few letter boxes I would like to post them through,
but shall resist the temptation. Will find a nice rural location with ample
supplies of food where I'm certain they will enjoy themselves. Anyone
stopped off at a McDonalds just off a motorway?

Thanks again,
Tony